Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438807 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #225 on: July 25, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »

Is there a way to assign an animal of specific gender to a cage? When interacting with the cage, the gender of the animal does not appear.

You could just give them nicknames, I guess.

Oh man, if you could give nicknames to animals....

No, the only way I know that actually works here is to modify every single animal (that you ever intend to pasture/cage) in your creature raws, changing the names of the male and female castes, so you can see whether an animal is male or female from the cage/pasture interfaces.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Mr.Pylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 25, 2014, 01:50:55 pm »

Does anyone have a good way of getting rid of flying animals? I've had the same group of thrips men and women on my map for two years just doing nothing but floating in the same spot and they are high enough that my marksdwarves can't seem to target them. Since they aren't going away I think that I'm not getting any other animals.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 25, 2014, 02:12:25 pm »

The only solutions I can think of in that situation are to build scaffolding up high enough that the marksdwarves can kill them, or instead resort to modding.  You could try removing the [FLIER] tag from thrips men, but I'm actually not sure how you'd do that.  It might be possible to see the generated raws if you use decompressed saves.

Anyway, if you do remove the [FLIER] tag, then they should drop out of the sky and splatter on the ground.  If for some reason that didn't work, you could remove their brains.  I've never done that myself, but I've read of others doing it in older versions, and I doubt it would behave any differently now.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 25, 2014, 05:16:32 pm »

Yep, that's why.  I've read of dwarves even being afraid of dead animals, but I'm not positive about that one.

In short, everything is terrifying right now.  Only lots of Discipline skill helps.

Even my COWS are scared. WTF. Is this a bug I assume?
FYI I love how cats are legendary climbers now. ha.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2014, 05:33:13 pm »

Is there a way to assign an animal of specific gender to a cage? When interacting with the cage, the gender of the animal does not appear.

You can edit the raws to give the different sexes different names.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2014, 06:37:20 pm »

Yep, that's why.  I've read of dwarves even being afraid of dead animals, but I'm not positive about that one.

In short, everything is terrifying right now.  Only lots of Discipline skill helps.

Even my COWS are scared. WTF. Is this a bug I assume?
FYI I love how cats are legendary climbers now. ha.

Not so much a bug as bad tuning I'd say.  The game pretty much just assumes that having no discipline means you're scared of anything that could be scary, and very scared at that.  Based on what I've been reading, apparently nothing has any discipline skill without combat, so almost literally everything is scared of corpses of any sort.  Even HFS is scared of things that they kill.

Not sure if anything has been tweaked about that in the upcoming version or not.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 25, 2014, 06:54:14 pm »

You could try removing the [FLIER] tag from thrips men, but I'm actually not sure how you'd do that.  It might be possible to see the generated raws if you use decompressed saves.
Not necessary, they're in the creature raws. They're a variation of thrips, and inherit their flier token from thrips.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 25, 2014, 07:27:00 pm »

Yeah, but they're created from the creature variation stuff, not hard coded, right?  If they're hard coded it's simple to change, but I'm pretty sure that removing [FLIER] from the creature variation won't do anything to the existing variations generated for a world, which I suspect are saved on a per world basis.

Or am I completely mistaken on how creature variations work?  Are they dynamically regenerated every time you load a save?

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 26, 2014, 09:45:42 am »

My dwarves keep trying to "pickup equipment" and wander outside to corpses and zombies, even though I did a mass forbid of everything (d-b-f then marked whole map, corner to corner, above my fortress)

How do I fix it :I

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2014, 05:06:54 pm »

If your bookkeeper has kept counts accurate you can go into the stock menu and forbid everything wearable, then go to your stockpile and area claim them.

You might want to turn on autoforbid death items.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2014, 08:54:55 pm »

I think the answer is "no" because if it happened someone would've talked about it already, but here we go: do vampires get all panicked up when they kill someone?

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 26, 2014, 09:01:30 pm »

I think the answer is "no" because if it happened someone would've talked about it already, but here we go: do vampires get all panicked up when they kill someone?

I don't think so. My vampire sucked someone dry and then calmly went on to report that a duck did it.

But then again he was a Master of Discipline, so...

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 27, 2014, 03:38:10 am »

Are there any tricks to getting items out of bins? I made the mistake of purchasing leather bins and they are sitting in my trade depot while my leather stockpile dwindles. I also have a bin that some ammo was accidentally put into. Can't seem to clear or dump it :\

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 27, 2014, 04:48:23 am »

Are there any tricks to getting items out of bins? I made the mistake of purchasing leather bins and they are sitting in my trade depot while my leather stockpile dwindles. I also have a bin that some ammo was accidentally put into. Can't seem to clear or dump it :\

Look at the item (the bin) with 'k', select then press enter and you'll be able to set its contents for dumping/whatever.
Also, try allowing bins to be placed in your leather stockpile, that should get it put there.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 27, 2014, 01:00:31 pm »

Does being "Overcome by terror" for a long time rise the Discipline skill?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 268