Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440041 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #555 on: October 08, 2014, 04:12:37 pm »

How dangerous does this FB sound?

I want to know before I invite it for fun inside.

It cannot path into my fort, and solid stone is blocking it.

I have not been able to test it's dust, and I've seen it flying around the caverns.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 08, 2014, 08:03:25 pm »

Could be worse, but it all depends on the dust.  As an organic FB it's not difficult to wound at least, unlike a steel or adamantine FB.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 10, 2014, 04:31:38 am »

Can kittens be infected with the "were-beast" virus?  Can they throw tantrums?  Do they scare were-infected dwarves?

In my most recent fort I had a werebeast attack, it was beat down, but 2-3 more dwarves got infected (and changed at the next moon), bad moods were everywhere, and I had a lot of job cancellation messages that were basically "because of kitten".

I could never figure out which kitten was responsible.  Or whether the dwarf which got scared was one of the infected.

in previous versions only sentient beings could be infected with werebeast or vampire curse. No clue what the kitten was doing. Maybe it was crowded a while and started attacking anything nearby
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 10, 2014, 02:10:13 pm »

What does "No Trade" mean on the civ list? Does it mean that you are on bad terms, or that you don't meet their requirements?
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 11, 2014, 04:14:01 pm »

Would removing the [PET_EXOTIC] tag and replacing it with [PET] and [TRAINABLE] tags work to allow me to have war cougars?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 11, 2014, 07:23:10 pm »

Would removing the [PET_EXOTIC] tag and replacing it with [PET] and [TRAINABLE] tags work to allow me to have war cougars?

Just adding [TRAINABLE] will do it.

What does "No Trade" mean on the civ list? Does it mean that you are on bad terms, or that you don't meet their requirements?

The only time I've seen that was when I was embarking on a scorching biome that was dwarf-meltingly hot at embark. My assumption was that it was too hot for traders to survive the journey. I would love confirmation on that supposition.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 12, 2014, 02:25:13 pm »

I'm having problems with no migrants showing up.

I'm fairly new and I'm running my second fort.  In the first fort I made a number of mistakes:  I cooked my plump helmets so I didn't have seeds, I barely had any goods to trade with the first dwarven caravan (a few gems), I accidentally floored over the stair well, trapping half my dwarves for months.  The second caravan was made of elves, they took forever to unload their goods, then they climb up a tree or something and were no longer available to trade.   Needless to say, when the first siege showed up (a bunch of zombies) I knew i wasn't ready.

So I tried again.  Mistakes were made but overall it's good.  I have a working farm, lots of wood, zinc ore and iron ore, tons of food and booze, fair amount of goods to trade.  I've traded with the dwarves twice and the humans once.  I've built a wood archery tower (with great difficulty). 

The next step is building a military.  But for that I need more dwarves, and no migrants have showed up.  I just noted a message saying "the envoy didn't show up, strange".  I though that the first few migrant waves were hard coded in.  Yet this has never happened in the first nor second play. 

Why aren't migrants showing up?  Where should I look?

thanks!

hamster cheese supplies are low

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 12, 2014, 06:33:49 pm »

I don't know for sure - some speculation.

Your civ may be extinct, though it should warn about that before embark if I read the notes right.

your pop-cap is too low

the migrants encountered a bandit group or something on the way to you. Since the world is now actually alive, something may well be killing your migrants before they reach your fort. Especially if the civ you selected at embark (TAB to switch between different screens at embark, + - to select a different civ) is half a world away

Or it's something else I just never encountered yet
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 13, 2014, 12:05:00 am »

Well, I didn't touch the Pop cap.   I don't think my civ is extinct since I'm receiving regular visit from dwarven merchants... but that may be wrong.  How would I check?  I haven't received any "no migrants show up this time" types of warnings either.  The world is small, with a 125 year history.

Bandits?  Possibly.  I'll note that it's my understanding that migrants arrive every season (so 4 times a year?).  As I've had 3 dwarven caravans visit, a lot of time has passed. 

My fort is doing pretty well, but I need more manpower to create a militia.  It would be a shame if it didn't work out... 

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 13, 2014, 06:01:27 am »

Also, is there a DFhack command to remove invaders from the map?
It appears there is no answer yet...
dfhack slayrace can kill all members of a race on the map, with paraneter  "him" only the unit at the cursor. See the readme of dfhack for a complete (?) list of commands and parameters.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:03:31 am by Uggh »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 13, 2014, 09:24:48 am »

Spoiler: pic (click to show/hide)

How do I find out what the IDs are?  Ive seen a few items like that, and given that most of those murders happened after I let it loose and it wandered offscreen I have a burning desire to know.  What did he kill those humans with?  How do I find an item's id in the future?

for those of you picturephobic the id is (46919) and the pic is of legends viewer.

---

Nevermind.  I went to the legends mode in DF proper and its a leather dress.  Makes sense.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:27:39 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 13, 2014, 03:44:35 pm »

Well, I didn't touch the Pop cap.   I don't think my civ is extinct since I'm receiving regular visit from dwarven merchants... but that may be wrong.  How would I check?

Probably the most authoritative answer you can get would be to press c, select your dwarven civ, and see if it has no leaders.

Bandits?  Possibly.  I'll note that it's my understanding that migrants arrive every season (so 4 times a year?).  As I've had 3 dwarven caravans visit, a lot of time has passed.

Normally your fortress is eligible for migrants 3 times a year -- in spring, summer and autumn.  Migrants never come in winter, as far as I know.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 13, 2014, 11:39:39 pm »

it turns out there was no strict pop cap line, and this somehow interfered with the arival of migrants.  Shortly after fixing this, the number went from 7 to 16 - I now have enough dwarf to build a military!

Now, my next question:  It seems I'm playing in 0.40.05, not .13... can I keep my saved game and switch?  Is there a big difference?

Thank you all for the help :)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 14, 2014, 12:36:44 am »

It seems I'm playing in 0.40.05, not .13... can I keep my saved game and switch?  Is there a big difference?

Yes, v0.40.05 saves should be compatible with v0.40.13. Many bugs were fixed in those 8 releases (including the missing strict population cap bug); you can find a list of changes on the wiki.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 14, 2014, 07:47:10 am »

Note especially the asterisks (*) in the list on the right hand side of:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Release_information

(I was curious as to which of the 40.x releases had broken save-game compatibility.)
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 268