Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438836 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #705 on: November 08, 2014, 07:42:52 am »

Anyone played around with ballistae in .15 yet? They've gotten edges >:D

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 08, 2014, 08:24:29 am »

Is it possible to designate a point and then quickly jump there? I'm planning a hufe construction project where all new migrants will be assigned as "deep dwarfs" and wont be allowed up where thecurrent dwarfs lives but increasing/decreasing 20+ z levels in one go is a bit annoying. If there is a lot of jumping to do.

The simplest way is to press (uppercase) H to set up hotkeys that zoom to different locations.

tahu16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 08, 2014, 08:33:40 am »

I'm planning a fortress in which the soldiers have no civilian skills. It is possible to house them continuously in the barracks (then they would train in every single day of their life), or should I build for them civilian rooms too and command them to train in every second month?
You can assign them rooms if you want, but if they are always on duty and always set to sleep in the barracks they wont do much other than take breaks there (as opposed to meeting areas) and store stuff in their rooms.

So the answer is no, you dont have to give full-time military rooms.  But it would be nice.

Sorry I interpreted my question in a wrong way.

I heard the that being always on duty (training in every single day of their life {now let alone legendary weapon users}) gives unhappy thoughts.
-It's not a big risk. I should have no problems with Tantrum spirals by forcing them to live in barracks and train forever.
-It's a big risk. I should build for them civilian houses in which they spend their free (off duty) time, in a scheme like this:
  -1.month:on duty, training training training
  -2.m.: off duty, they can do what they want, like civilians.
  -3.m.:on duty
  -4.m.: off duty,

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 08, 2014, 08:36:40 am »

I heard the that being always on duty (training in every single day of their life {now let alone legendary weapon users}) gives unhappy thoughts.
-It's not a big risk. I should have no problems with Tantrum spirals by forcing them to live in barracks and train forever.
-It's a big risk. I should build for them civilian houses in which they spend their free (off duty) time, in a scheme like this:

This is fixed in the more recent versions. No bad thoughts from permanent training schedule.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 08, 2014, 09:07:36 am »

This is fixed in the more recent versions. No bad thoughts from permanent training schedule.
wat~?  Thats a thing?  No bad thought for long duty?  What about on/off duty for the skillless?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 08, 2014, 09:17:05 am »

wat~?  Thats a thing?  No bad thought for long duty?  What about on/off duty for the skillless?

I always understood this patrol duty thought was only for actual patrol duty. (If you let them patrol permanently up and down the caverns you may still get it.) Training even for years on end does not produce any bad thoughts.

Several old bugs w/ military are fixed. See:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3190
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1577

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 08, 2014, 01:12:00 pm »

on and off duty for skill-less military should still produce a bad thought, I guess. One possibly for being drafted (no military skill) and one for being released (no civilian skill, "what shall I do now? I only know how to kill stuff")
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

DollMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 08, 2014, 01:22:20 pm »

What does No Trade mean?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 08, 2014, 01:41:29 pm »

In addition, If you have a full barrel of helmets and a single dwarf decides to hike 250 tiles to eat one of them then the entire barrel is tasked as busy for the duration of his walk there.

I believe this is incorrect.  Dwarves don't earmark an entire barrel when they only plan to remove a single item from it for personal consumption.  They do, of course, earmark the barrel when they're about the drag the barrel out of the stockpile to add an item to it.

I cannot build stepladders, neither at my carpenter's nor in my crafts. My manager doesn't even find the order for them.

You can only build ladders if your civilization was created in 0.40.14 or later.  If you migrated a save from 0.40.13 or older, ladders won't exist for you.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:43:14 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 08, 2014, 01:46:34 pm »

In addition, If you have a full barrel of helmets and a single dwarf decides to hike 250 tiles to eat one of them then the entire barrel is tasked as busy for the duration of his walk there.

I believe this is incorrect.  Dwarves don't earmark an entire barrel when they only plan to remove a single item from it for personal consumption.  They do, of course, earmark the barrel when they're about the drag the barrel out of the stockpile to add an item to it.

second that, it's the cause of the farmer cancelation spam - planting only marks the seed for use, not the bag (or worse, barrel) it is in which is then used to collect some seed in the still or dining hall which - does - take the whole barrel
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 08, 2014, 01:52:38 pm »

What does No Trade mean?
That you cannot trade with them (but not at war currently)?
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 08, 2014, 02:09:32 pm »

What does No Trade mean?
That you cannot trade with them (but not at war currently)?

It means no trade path exists, and connection isnt made.  I do know it used to be listed for all individual civilizations, but it may just be one now.  If you embark there, you may not get any caravans or invaders, barring the mountainhomes.

But, goblins are(were) rarely actually 'at war' with dwarves.  They send their raiders and sieges, but they are 'at war' with your group, not the whole civ.  Unless thats changed this version.  After your fort collapses they would go back to their original timelapse aggression model.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

DollMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 08, 2014, 02:31:57 pm »

pisskop, so they'll come to me to attack?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 08, 2014, 02:40:14 pm »

they shouldnt without a path.  If you do please tell us.
PKs DF Mod!

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 08, 2014, 03:57:20 pm »

Non hostile world? I'm a few years in with my fort now, 80+ dwarfs and 120k exported wealth but not a single thief, ambush or siege. The most interesting thing was a waresloth early on. The liason reports that nothing has happened all year and I'm starting to think all fun loving neighbors might have been eradicated throughout history. How long should I keep hoping for an invasion before digging straight down in search of fun?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 268