Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440062 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1065 on: December 20, 2014, 07:39:57 pm »

Is there any good science regarding the exp gains from individual combat drills? Im trying to get a legendary biter (alright, baby steps - I'll settle for proficient atm) in fort mode. Turning out to be alot harder than I thought.

Just let them train a lot - but not in individual combat drill, but as squad. If you take away distractions (weapons, shields, armour) it should help, good trainers with already some skill do as well. Skill gains "escalate" once the skill of the trainer improves, if I look through the dwarves I trained up to legendary in a normal weapon the early trainees have very little biting, the newer ones steadily more - the newest w/ about equal skills in kicking and biting. I don't run a dedicated biting school, still I have great and accomplished biters.

The one training idea never truly tested afaik are sparring corpses, which need to be sufficiently weak yet tough to provide long term benefits. They can train offensive skills very rapidly, which should include a reasonable amount of biting in wrestlers.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 21, 2014, 01:51:11 am »

Mmm, alright thanks. I'll try training them without weapons then. They seem to prefer just kicking enemies' skulls in atm when unarmed, so live training hasnt been very effective so far.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 21, 2014, 05:54:07 am »

Is combat/adventure mode playable yet? I know there were some interesting bugs with zombies and such.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 21, 2014, 06:17:58 am »

Is combat/adventure mode playable yet? I know there were some interesting bugs with zombies and such.
Depends how you define "playable". Is it better than it was back in DF2010 and DF2012? Certainly. Is it it's own perfect rouge like? Not always. What exactly are you looking for when you say "playable".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 21, 2014, 06:31:19 am »

Depends how you define "playable". Is it better than it was back in DF2010 and DF2012? Certainly. Is it it's own perfect rouge like? Not always. What exactly are you looking for when you say "playable".

If i play dwarf mode, can i still expect ridiculous and unintuitive combat? Stuff like grapes crushing skulls or wooden arrows punching through steel and so on.

If i play adventure mode, actually being able to talk to people without bugs and ideally quickly (instead of mashing what troubles you), logical reactions from civilians, vampires actually in existence when you look for them(yes i know about the rumor mill), bandits that fight back, monsters that fight back, companions to recruit without visiting everywhere in 300 miles, that kind of stuff.
Reading a thinner book

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 21, 2014, 07:19:35 am »

If i play dwarf mode, can i still expect ridiculous and unintuitive combat? Stuff like grapes crushing skulls or wooden arrows punching through steel and so on.

If i play adventure mode, actually being able to talk to people without bugs and ideally quickly (instead of mashing what troubles you), logical reactions from civilians, vampires actually in existence when you look for them(yes i know about the rumor mill), bandits that fight back, monsters that fight back, companions to recruit without visiting everywhere in 300 miles, that kind of stuff.

Erm, mostly? :P

There's still plenty of weird stuff, but you have to look a little more closely to spot it now.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 21, 2014, 07:51:41 am »

Ty, starting a fort.
Reading a thinner book

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 21, 2014, 08:00:16 am »

Ty, starting a fort.
0.40.21 is possibly a bit buggy still. 0.40.19 may be more stable.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 21, 2014, 08:34:06 am »

I'm staying on 40.19 until DFHack for 40.21 is up things quiet down.

Anyway, has anyone figured out which attributes are important for the gelding profession?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: December 21, 2014, 09:09:49 am »

Anyway, has anyone figured out which attributes are important for the gelding profession?

I don't know. But if a gelder falls into a fey mood, I'm running the hell away!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: December 21, 2014, 09:13:04 am »

just speculation, but focus,empathy, agility.

those are common attributes for animal indudtries.  And strength, but I dont think its a thing here.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 21, 2014, 03:59:25 pm »

So, one of my war dogs had to be an asshole and kill the black bear I was trying to catch for a breeding pair.  According to region-pops list, I now have 0 black bears in my region.  Will more bears wander onto the map eventually, or am I shit outta luck?

ETA: I forgot to mention that I still have 40ish black bears in the entire world.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:52:19 pm by Badger Storm »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 21, 2014, 06:11:05 pm »

I am sure it takes a lot of empathy to geld something...

And well, no bears for you.
Edit: You can buy from the elves.
In a time before time, I had a name.

masonsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 22, 2014, 07:38:06 am »

I saw a while back a way to copy and paste designations it was simple and in game I remember that much I just don't remember the commands and when I search for it in the forums I get stuff about copying entire fortresses and the like. Can anyone help me? I wan't to copy my bedroom rows :).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 22, 2014, 07:52:02 am »

you meqn mining designations?  Utilities do that.  idk which specific ones.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 268