Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438819 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2190 on: October 25, 2015, 03:16:00 pm »

I know I've seen decayed cloaks on my military, but it's worth it for their full coverage imo. It could be due to FB fire not wear, not sure. Pretty sure they decay though.
Cloaks decay over time, unfortunately. You can make them armour and not clothing, which will make their wearability the same as leather armour or leather boots.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: October 26, 2015, 05:09:05 pm »

Is there any way to check the age of an animal? I lost track of my poultry stocks when I was sorting out the infertile ones and I'm not sure which ones are due for slaughter. I don't want the Gen 2 chickens to die of old age and be unusable, but I need another round of births from Gen 3.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: October 26, 2015, 05:54:16 pm »

Is there any way to check the age of an animal? I lost track of my poultry stocks when I was sorting out the infertile ones and I'm not sure which ones are due for slaughter. I don't want the Gen 2 chickens to die of old age and be unusable, but I need another round of births from Gen 3.

If all of them were born and raised in the fortress, then a general indication would be how they're listed. Animals are listed in order of acquisition - the dogs and cats you bring on embark will always be above the endless horde of puppies and kittens they inevitably create.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: October 26, 2015, 07:01:10 pm »

You can use Dwarf Therapist, hovering over the animal's name will tell you it's age or you can sort creatures by age.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

DerangedArsonist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: October 27, 2015, 03:10:50 pm »

Hi,

I'm playing my first fortress. Almost four years in and with 450,000+ created wealth, I still haven't been attacked by anything except a werechinchilla, a werechameleon, and a goblin outpost liaison who I decided to murder. Is there a wealth threshold for attacks, and when can I expect to receive one?

Note: I believe that when embarking, goblins and kobolds weren't listed in the neighbours tab. Does this mean that I will never be attacked by goblins or kobolds?

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: October 27, 2015, 03:45:11 pm »

Hi,

I'm playing my first fortress. Almost four years in and with 450,000+ created wealth, I still haven't been attacked by anything except a werechinchilla, a werechameleon, and a goblin outpost liaison who I decided to murder. Is there a wealth threshold for attacks, and when can I expect to receive one?

Note: I believe that when embarking, goblins and kobolds weren't listed in the neighbours tab. Does this mean that I will never be attacked by goblins or kobolds?

The default threshold for attacks is 1,000,000 fortress wealth, or a population of 80. Kobolds are never listed in your neighbors, but no listed goblins means that the goblin civilization physically cannot reach you. It might - MAYBE - be possible that the goblin civ expands close enough to you for them to become your neighbors, since world generation continues during play in DF2014, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

DerangedArsonist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: October 27, 2015, 03:59:45 pm »

Hi,

The default threshold for attacks is 1,000,000 fortress wealth, or a population of 80. Kobolds are never listed in your neighbors, but no listed goblins means that the goblin civilization physically cannot reach you. It might - MAYBE - be possible that the goblin civ expands close enough to you for them to become your neighbors, since world generation continues during play in DF2014, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

My population is 96 right now.

Is it possible to provoke a civilization into attacking me (by murdering a caravan, for example)?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: October 27, 2015, 04:09:55 pm »

You can provoke the humans to do so by repeated insulting them with the death of their leaders/caravaneers.
You may possibly get the elves to dow you, but they're called hippies for a reason.
You cant incite the goblins or kobolds because they dont send caravans.  However, they are supposed to come on their own.
You definately don't want to destroy the dwarven caravan.  Thats a fast track to fun in the worst case and killing your profits in the best.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

DerangedArsonist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: October 27, 2015, 04:19:49 pm »

You can provoke the humans to do so by repeated insulting them with the death of their leaders/caravaneers.
You may possibly get the elves to dow you, but they're called hippies for a reason.
You cant incite the goblins or kobolds because they dont send caravans.  However, they are supposed to come on their own.
You definately don't want to destroy the dwarven caravan.  Thats a fast track to fun in the worst case and killing your profits in the best.

How much of a military would I need to withstand a human siege?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: October 27, 2015, 04:21:01 pm »

depends on what they send.  Theyre better armed than the gobbo but come in typically smaller numbers and their mounts are more mundane and they dont pack troll/icemen/ogres/etc.

Have a competent force, make sure your traps arent too old, and have Fun.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

DerangedArsonist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: October 27, 2015, 07:07:04 pm »

depends on what they send.  Theyre better armed than the gobbo but come in typically smaller numbers and their mounts are more mundane and they dont pack troll/icemen/ogres/etc.

Have a competent force, make sure your traps arent too old, and have Fun.
Thanks!

The first human caravan showed up. I seized their goods and then killed them all. We'll see how much fun they bring.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: October 28, 2015, 03:38:16 pm »

Is there any way to know for sure whether or not I've got a dwarf infected with werebeastism before he transforms?
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: October 28, 2015, 03:44:07 pm »

After a werebeast attack, check their wounds.  Dwarves with lacerations or wounds that broke skin (i.e more than bruising) should be seperated and you should check their combat log for biting.  Bites need to break the skin to infect.

If you waited to long after the attack?  Nope.  Have Fun.  Seperate the whoel squad and put them in the hospital that has hopitalized wereattack victims.  That way who ever transforms will be put down, kill your whole squad, or at least be isolated.

Ive been wanting to do testing on the exact cause/loopholes in lycanthrope, tbh.

Things like:

-Does it have to be 'skin' or skin-named tissue?  (I suspect not, that whatever the outermost tissue is counts)
  -Is it vascular?  (I suspect so, for instance you cant infect iron men or magma men or w.e.)
  -Is it carried in the teeth, the mouth, or in the 'bite' attack/skill?  (Id suspect the mouth jc thats the default way to do things in the raws)
PKs DF Mod!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: October 28, 2015, 07:55:49 pm »

It is carried in the bite attack. It must penetrate the outermost layer of tissue, maybe the outermost vascular layer.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: October 29, 2015, 10:20:36 am »

Is it just me, or are goblin sieges basically a thing of the past?

I haven't played many forts longer than 3-4 years in the new build so far, and I haven't had any goblin sieges. Not even small ones.

What are the triggers? I've heard around the forum that the trigger for Goblin sieges are variously 30 population, 80 population, 300k fortress wealth, 1M fortress wealth, 500k exports, and maybe a few more besides.

Plenty of Werecreature attacks, though, which has killed more than one fort. (I need to remember to build a wall in front of the door to the containment barracks.) I've also had one or two zombie sieges, but I don't think those are really plausible for a starting to intermediate player to fight against and win. Zombies might not be the impossible to kill demigods that they were before, but I don't think they're really balanced yet.

While I'm asking, what are the limits on invaders being able to climb walls now? is it only 1 z-level high walls that they can climb, or am I still not safe if I have a wall with an overhanging fortification on it?

._#
_0i
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 268