Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440094 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2325 on: December 19, 2015, 05:45:28 pm »

But I'm one of those people for whom random bugs and things just not working can quickly drain the fun out of the experience, how ever much they add FUN in the process. As I only have a few days before the holidays anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should start with the newest version or the older, slightly more stable one and then update next month when things are a bit more solid again.
As with other bigger updates, 0.42.01 got several big crash issues. But from recent reports, if you don't try to trade mugs/goblets in you generally should be fine crash-wise in 0.42.03 (and that should be now fixed for 0.42.04).
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: December 19, 2015, 05:56:46 pm »

Is anyone else getting a strange bug where removing constructed floors will occasionally transmute the floor to sand?

Ditto, I thought saplings couldn't grow on smooth floors even when they are muddy, but they are doing so.
1)
There are few similar reports where removing something from a tile leaves behind unexpected tile:
But I haven't found exactly your case. Go on and report it.

2)
Tree are growing where they want :/ . See my 8752, "Trees spawn on up stairs" and similar reports.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: December 20, 2015, 07:48:34 am »

Ditto, I thought saplings couldn't grow on smooth floors even when they are muddy, but they are doing so.

As far as I am aware, smoothing floors do not prevent moss/ tree growth when muddy. But constructed floors will prevent moss/ trees from growing.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2328 on: December 20, 2015, 08:15:15 am »

How are you supposed to get dwarves down who climb trees? My militia commander chased a kobold up there, killed it and wouldn't come down. I ordered the tree he was standing on be chopped and she ended up mangling both hands beyond recognition before going to haul items without so much as passing out
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2329 on: December 20, 2015, 09:33:46 am »

How are you supposed to get dwarves down who climb trees? My militia commander chased a kobold up there, killed it and wouldn't come down. I ordered the tree he was standing on be chopped and she ended up mangling both hands beyond recognition before going to haul items without so much as passing out
Try building a staircase, assuming you are playing the latest version (v.42.03). Most of the bugs regarding constructions and trees have been fixed, so that should work fine.

Cross-posting from the adventure mode forum.

One of my traveling companions is classified as a spearman, but in all our battles she's only bashed enemies with a tower shield, never once using her spear. It's surprisingly deadly.

If I give her another tower shield and take the spear away, will she dual-wield them?
Likely, but just in case, try to take her pouch away too. You could always try what you said, but if she "reorganizes her possessions" or whatever and the shield is not in her hands (in her pouch then), trade something valuable for her pouch, take out the shield, and trade it to her. You might be able to trade the pouch back to her with no issues, but I'd save before just in case. (Save-scumming's pretty useful).

(Adventure Mode) Is it possible to make companions less scared? Because currently my companions are always mentioning how scary everything is and sometimes they even panic for no reason.. uhh..
Give every creature (i.e., playable race) that you will want to (play/have companions from) the [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:5] tag or something like that. The tag should be present on cats for [CLIMB], so use that as a template. Beware that this means that any enemies of that race that you fight will be MUCH more likely to run away!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: December 20, 2015, 08:35:04 pm »

So, I got a merc now. A humie, in fact. But I can't find any way to make any human-sized armor. Any idea how to make armor for non-dwarven residents? Or do mercenaries not cause that option to occur?
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2331 on: December 20, 2015, 10:06:11 pm »

Press "d" sometime when forging something.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: December 20, 2015, 10:48:10 pm »

Press "d" sometime when forging something.

Doh!

EDIT: And now I'm right back to asking yet another stupid question. My mercenary keeps partially forgetting what squad he's in. He'll still be listed in the squad I placed him in the military screen, but when "v"iewed he'll either be listed as having no squad, or one he apparently made up. Additionally when he does this, he'll be training in the barracks (like he should be) yet not wearing his assigned armor (NOT like he should be).

I'm also saddragon over the fact I can't place him in a squad as a militia commander. He's fine with going from being a lord consort of his parent civ to suddenly becoming the lord of wherever he came from (while still a merc), but he just HAS to be treated like a grunt and have a dwarven commissar bossing him around? :V
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:19:20 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: December 21, 2015, 04:17:32 pm »

Does his assigned armor fit?  If it's a human mercenary he won't be able to wear default dwarf-sized equipment.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: December 21, 2015, 04:24:22 pm »

Does his assigned armor fit?  If it's a human mercenary he won't be able to wear default dwarf-sized equipment.

I already figured that out and procured a full uniform of human-sized gear. That still doesn't explain why he's simultaneously in and not in the squad. ;W;
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: December 22, 2015, 07:16:10 am »

I heard somewhere that mercs refuse to change their gear, as a general sort of thing.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: December 22, 2015, 11:57:44 am »

I heard somewhere that mercs refuse to change their gear, as a general sort of thing.

Which is unfortunate and irritating since he dropped his spear after meeting with the mayor. >.<

So long as he has a spear though, what's more important is getting to boss him around and point him at things that need to die. Which is difficult when I he won't stay in a squad.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: December 22, 2015, 02:12:30 pm »

Quick question since I can't check the game right now and the wiki doesn't mention it...

Is it really not possible to bind books with leather? That's the first material I'd think of when imagining book bindings.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: December 22, 2015, 02:18:02 pm »

Quick question since I can't check the game right now and the wiki doesn't mention it...

Is it really not possible to bind books with leather? That's the first material I'd think of when imagining book bindings.

Just checked in the manager menu. Wood, rock, glass, and metal.

I would assume someone done derped and used HARD_MAT for the tool definition. There are multiple newer MAT tokens that allow more control than the old HARD_MAT and SOFT_MAT (according to the wiki), but they seem to be unused or at least underused.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: December 22, 2015, 02:36:34 pm »

Didn't leather-bound books exist in an older version? If so I might put this up on the bug-tracker. (If not it might get shot down as a suggestion rather than a bug...)
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 268