Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438870 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2595 on: March 04, 2016, 09:46:30 am »

Yes, merchants have a limit on the items they can bring.  I believe it's just a limit on the total weight, not the number of items, but there is a limit.

For stone hauling in particular, you probably want to make some wheelbarrows and change your stone stockpiles to use them.  Toady revamped stone hauling a while ago and ever since it became very impractical for dwarves to haul them around without assistance.  You can also build mine carts to help with it, but those are substantially more complicated to build and use than wheelbarrows.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: March 04, 2016, 09:57:46 am »

Damn so I have to use stone stockpiles then instead of dwarven quantum storage if I want to use them?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: March 04, 2016, 10:32:29 am »

Afraid so.  There are ways to use mine carts to quantum stockpile stone, but I've never tried it and so don't know the details.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: March 04, 2016, 11:59:32 am »

My starting 7 are standing on a tree on the edge of the map. I have no idea how to get them down.  :o

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: March 04, 2016, 04:23:52 pm »

(sorry I took a while to reply, college was brutal this week)

My original question was whether or not caged prisoners increased FPS

Do you mean dwarven prisoners or cage-trapped invaders?

I actually mean cage-trapped invaders.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: March 04, 2016, 09:54:01 pm »

Afraid so.  There are ways to use mine carts to quantum stockpile stone, but I've never tried it and so don't know the details.
Set up the stone stockpile with the wheelbarrows, and then set up a hauling route. You need one track stop, set to dump, and one minecart to sit on top of it. No departure conditions necessary, but you do need to link the route stop to the stone stockpile. Where the track stop dumps to, place a single-tile stockpile.

Stone stockpile: wheelbarrows, accepts specifically the items you want.
Hauling route: one stop, no departures, takes from stone stockpile. You can set the stop to take any stone, because the stone stockpile settings will filter out anything undesireable.
Single-tile stockpile: no wheelbarrows, can take any stone if set to 'take from links only'. Can take any stone if not set to take from links only, but if it ever empties you might find a random stone type being hauled there to fill the gap.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: March 05, 2016, 12:44:31 pm »

Hi, guys!

Encountered a problem. A few pieces of poisoned used thread and clothes (hospital) were mixed with others pieces in bin on cloth stockpile. So, whenewer I need to do some cloth goods, my dwarf spams that he cancels make yarn sock: needs 1 unused yarn cloth. Sometimes he bypasses it and craft without announcement. But it spams really often and annoying. How to find out where is that used piece of cloth/thread? Is there a script in new DFHack that fixes it? I have only one obvious solution, sell/atomsmash everything, wait for caravan with new goods and pray for not triggering strangemood.
Also, I remember that medical dwarf ignored supplies in the hospital chest and went to stockpiles. WTF?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: March 05, 2016, 01:15:21 pm »

So, let's say I decide to play kobolds, and open a tavern. Will the only visitors be fellow kobolds, or will humans and others arrive? And if non-kobolds do visit us, will be they friendly? :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: March 05, 2016, 08:03:04 pm »

A few pieces of poisoned used thread and clothes (hospital) were mixed with others pieces in bin on cloth stockpile. So, whenewer I need to do some cloth goods, my dwarf spams that he cancels make yarn sock: needs 1 unused yarn cloth. Sometimes he bypasses it and craft without announcement. But it spams really often and annoying.

A unit of cloth or thread that has been used in medicine is no longer a whole unit.  It's a fractional unit, and can't be used for crafting jobs.

How to find out where is that used piece of cloth/thread?

You mean, how to tell the fractional units from the whole units?  I don't know of any way.

If you mean, "How to find all my cloth"?  Use the stocks screen (with bookkeeper set to sufficiently high precision), scroll down to your cloth, and use Tab or z or something to expand the list into individual units of cloth.  I forget the exact keystrokes.

Is there a script in new DFHack that fixes it?

You mean, to create cloth or thread out of nowhere?  Probably.  It would be cheating of course.

I have only one obvious solution, sell/atomsmash everything

Um.  Or you could just, y'know, make some more cloth.

wait for caravan with new goods

Sure, buying more cloth would work too.

Also, I remember that medical dwarf ignored supplies in the hospital chest and went to stockpiles. WTF?

The cloth and thread that are stored in the hospital are just a reserve, to make sure your clothiers don't take it all and leave none for patients.  Doctors don't necessarily use the hospital stores.  They use the nearest cloth or thread.  They can be really annoying about it, too.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: March 05, 2016, 10:18:13 pm »

Thank you for your answer, I'm sorry about fuzzy questions.
A few pieces of poisoned used thread and clothes (hospital) were mixed with others pieces in bin on cloth stockpile. So, whenewer I need to do some cloth goods, my dwarf spams that he cancels make yarn sock: needs 1 unused yarn cloth. Sometimes he bypasses it and craft without announcement. But it spams really often and annoying.

A unit of cloth or thread that has been used in medicine is no longer a whole unit.  It's a fractional unit, and can't be used for crafting jobs.
The cloth and thread that are stored in the hospital are just a reserve, to make sure your clothiers don't take it all and leave none for patients.  Doctors don't necessarily use the hospital stores.  They use the nearest cloth or thread.  They can be really annoying about it, too.

Yeah, it seems so. Looks like, it will be wise, to bulld hospital and its coffers near meeting zone (tavern, temple, library), and cloth industry much further from crowded places, because of dwarfes tendency to grab the nearest resource.
You mean, to create cloth or thread out of nowhere?  Probably.  It would be cheating of course.

No, I meant to use some script, which restores, well, from 14500/15000 thread to 15000. So far, haven't found it yet.

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: March 06, 2016, 03:57:25 am »

The wiki says that if your dwarfs are wearing chain mail + high boots then you don't need leg armor like greaves. Does that mean that greaves are completely useless in such a situation, or does it still provide an armor bonus?

Secondly does wearing cloth underclothes or  leather over clothes with metal armour provide any bonus to your protection? If so what are the best leather items  I can combine with full metal armor besides hood and cloak?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:53:18 pm by Purdurabo »

c13303

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: March 06, 2016, 07:58:21 am »

Playing for a few years now ... And that's cool :D

A few things remains strange to me, so I try to ask !

- I had refuse piles outdoors for (in-game) years, worked very well. Then a day came, people stopped to haul refuse things, I had tons of idlers, checked everthing : orders, path, no forbidden things, free space in piles, tried to create new refuse piles outside, garbage dump zone, corpses piles, checked burrows (I don't have any) ... Still no one decided to move this remains that started to cause miasma. Then I created a refuse pile underground, in a locked room ... And everyone started to fill it with refused items !! I repeat, no burrows or locked door to outside (actually dwarves where moving thru the outdoor refuse piles).  Can anyone enlight me about this phenomena ?

- I have tons of blocks from masonry (mostly chalk and microline) and used to make constructions with it : floors, walls etc.
Then now I have no option to use it anymore as construction material ! It only offers me wood logs or eventually raw granite ... I don't get it and didn't find any information about it : do I have too much materials so they can't show in the list ? I thought maybe the pile was too far away, made a pile closer, didn't changed anything. Can someone help ?

EDIT : solved ... I had a up/down staircase changed into a downstair case only .. NO BUGS :-) Actually this 40.24 is very stable for after a few days playing !

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:21:20 am by c13303 »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: March 06, 2016, 01:57:24 pm »

- I had refuse piles outdoors for (in-game) years, worked very well. Then a day came, people stopped to haul refuse things, I had tons of idlers, checked everthing : orders, path, no forbidden things, free space in piles, tried to create new refuse piles outside, garbage dump zone, corpses piles, checked burrows (I don't have any) ... Still no one decided to move this remains that started to cause miasma. Then I created a refuse pile underground, in a locked room ... And everyone started to fill it with refused items !! I repeat, no burrows or locked door to outside (actually dwarves where moving thru the outdoor refuse piles).  Can anyone enlight me about this phenomena ?

You need to allow them to haul refuse from outside. Press o, then r I think.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: March 06, 2016, 05:56:50 pm »

No, I meant to use some script, which restores, well, from 14500/15000 thread to 15000. So far, haven't found it yet.

As I said: that would require creating thread out of thin air, extending the "spool" from 14500 to 15000 milliUrists in length.  Such a script may exist, or it may not.  I don't know.  You could ask in one of the DFHack threads, in the Modding forum.

It would be easier just to chill out until the next harvest of pig tails.  Or rope reed.  Or hemp.  Or hairy animals being shorn.  Or whatever you've got.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: March 14, 2016, 10:55:17 pm »

Is there an easy way to make all wooden doors resemble stone doors?  Also, if I change the color of wood to grey (how?) will tree trunks and logs also be grey?
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 268