Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440073 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2625 on: March 16, 2016, 09:21:40 am »

This feels like a really dumb question, but I don't know if I could find one on the wiki...

If I modify the d_init file in mid-game (Fortress mode) will that create problems?

Specifically, I want to lower the max population and max visitors. It's an early fort, so we're nowhere near capacity, but I'd rather not watch 300 units slough through a molasses sludge.

I imagine it shouldn't be a problem, but being fairly ignorant about such things, I felt I should ask...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: March 16, 2016, 09:47:26 am »

That works just fine.  You'll need to restart DF after making changes to the file, but it won't hurt running saves at all.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: March 16, 2016, 10:27:13 am »

That works just fine.  You'll need to restart DF after making changes to the file, but it won't hurt running saves at all.
Great, thanks.

Though I do wonder what happens if you do this after the fort has exceeded the new cap. Does it just let the surplus die off naturally or do the last additions become sudden strangers?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: March 16, 2016, 10:54:17 am »

Though I do wonder what happens if you do this after the fort has exceeded the new cap. Does it just let the surplus die off naturally or do the last additions become sudden strangers?

Far as I can recall, it just stops sending migrants after it realizes its over the population cap. You can and will potentially get a nudge over that limit.

Additionally, far as I know the "strict" population cap only adds births to the values considered, and stops any further conception in the same way that the baby/child cap would. It mostly seems to exist to the instance where being at your population cap without disabling babies/children entirely leads to a steady increase in population anyway.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: March 16, 2016, 11:01:02 am »

Far as I can recall, it just stops sending migrants after it realizes its over the population cap. You can and will potentially get a nudge over that limit.

Additionally, far as I know the "strict" population cap only adds births to the values considered, and stops any further conception in the same way that the baby/child cap would. It mostly seems to exist to the instance where being at your population cap without disabling babies/children entirely leads to a steady increase in population anyway.
So in that case, it's probably safer to keep the pop cap artificially low with the understanding that it will rise slowly due to reproduction.

If I set the cap to less than the min for sieges or whatnot, would natural reproduction by itself cause sieges and whatnot to begin to occur? Or would the hard number indicate to the game that they should never happen?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: March 16, 2016, 11:04:23 am »

If you get enough dwarves and wealth somehow, then you'll get sieges regardless of what he population cap is set at.  That said, I'm pretty sure there's an init option for turning sieges off too if you're concerned about that.  I've never actually turned it off though, so I'm not positive if it works in the current version.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: March 16, 2016, 11:09:36 am »

If you get enough dwarves and wealth somehow, then you'll get sieges regardless of what he population cap is set at.  That said, I'm pretty sure there's an init option for turning sieges off too if you're concerned about that.  I've never actually turned it off though, so I'm not positive if it works in the current version.
I was more worried about accidentally turning sieges off, or seeing how close I could get to the line. Thanks!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: March 16, 2016, 11:57:27 am »

Hmm, maybe that's new. Is your custom uniform 'replace clothing' or 'over clothing'?

"Replace clothing" for each squad position, as soon as I have the full set of armor forged for that position.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: March 19, 2016, 04:30:28 am »

I forgot how to worldgen  :-[ I distintctly remember that in the days of 0.34 a standard world with all default settings would result in normal age-changing. Nowadays, whaterever I do, I can't get the Age to change past the starting one on any standard or large world (and I like large worlds).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:21:31 am by moondowner »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: March 19, 2016, 12:26:09 pm »

I forgot how to worldgen  :-[ I distintctly remember that in the days of 0.34 a standard world with all default settings would result in normal age-changing. Nowadays, whaterever I do, I can't get the Age to change past the starting one on any standard or large world (and I like large worlds).

I suspect that age changes might be FUBAR. I've yet to get past Age of Myth in any of my DF2014 worlds.

If anything, I know that age changes are broken in adventure mode. I've personally scoured a Monster Island of every historical entity and it's still the Age of Myth. >w>
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: March 19, 2016, 01:41:18 pm »

I've had multiple changes. It seems to be a landslide one way or another. Either the megabeast population thrives or declines rapidly.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: March 19, 2016, 02:05:27 pm »

Have you personally exterminated every megabeast and semi-megabeast on the planet in Adventure Mode? :\
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: March 20, 2016, 04:20:42 pm »

Quick question here ! I generated a pretty cool map, but unfortunately the only civs around are gobbos and dwarves. What are the parameters to tweak in worldgen to have some ohter civs (human and elves) if i regenerate it ?

Cheers

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: March 20, 2016, 04:27:09 pm »

Question about designation priority:

I've done mining with different priority but they ignored the priority. I'm assuming 7 is max priority and 1 is minimal priority.

Priority glitch or is the system not really implemented?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: March 20, 2016, 04:35:42 pm »

Question about designation priority:

I've done mining with different priority but they ignored the priority. I'm assuming 7 is max priority and 1 is minimal priority.

Priority glitch or is the system not really implemented?

Wrong way around. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 268