Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440077 times)

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2640 on: March 20, 2016, 05:08:11 pm »

Thanks

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: March 20, 2016, 08:16:28 pm »

Quick question here ! I generated a pretty cool map, but unfortunately the only civs around are gobbos and dwarves. What are the parameters to tweak in worldgen to have some ohter civs (human and elves) if i regenerate it ?

Cheers

You mean trying to regen the exact same world, keeping the same map but having different civilizations?  I don't think that's possible.  If you had the worldgen seed and regenned it, you'd get the same exact setup.  If you want the civilizations to be different, you'd have to use a different seed.

The only other option I could think of would be to regen the world reusing the same seed but just end worldgen sooner.  That way you could at least play before some civilizations were wiped out, assuming that's why they're absent in your current world.  If they were just never placed then there's nothing you can do.

Someone else may be able to help you extract the worldgen seed from your current world, if it's possible, but I don't know how to do it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: March 21, 2016, 12:47:40 am »

Quick question here ! I generated a pretty cool map, but unfortunately the only civs around are gobbos and dwarves. What are the parameters to tweak in worldgen to have some ohter civs (human and elves) if i regenerate it ?

Cheers
Now, I'm not positive on this, but with the world that you like, go into Legends and re-export its map/gen information by pressing the p button.  This will generate several text files in the program's main directory (where you'd find the executable).  The one you want to for the purposes of this is called "<worlddirectoryname>-world_gen_param.txt" (for a default save directory, it'll typically be something like "region1-world_gen_param.txt" or the like).  There are two changes you'll want to make inside this file:
  • In the [TITLE:<blah>], give it some nice name by changing the red italicized bit, and just the red italicized bit.  Not strictly necessary, but it will help you identify it at a glance, because otherwise it will keep the same name as whatever option you used to generate it.
  • Delete the line that looks like [HISTORY_SEED:<stringofcharacters>].
Now, copy the text in that file and paste it at the very end of world_gen.txt, which is located in the data\init subdirectory.  Restart Dwarf Fortress, Design a New World with Advanced Parameters, pick the new world-gen parameters you've just copy-pasted in, and generate your world.  Your net result: the geography should be either the same or close to the same, but the history of the world (including civilizations) should be different. 

Alternately, if you don't feel like changing things in the text file, you can copy-paste it over as above without making any changes at all, then open Dwarf Fortress, Design a New World with Advanced Parameters, pick the new world-gen parameters you just copy-pasted in (at the very end, assuming that's where you pasted it in), then open the parameters screen with e.  For "Use History Seed", set it to "Random", then ESC out, use F6 to save (optional, but if you want to regen until you get a favorable history, a decent idea), and then generate. This does the exact same thing as the above.

EDIT:
Mind you, I'm assuming the reason you don't have humans or elves is because they were created but later went extinct during worldgen.  If they weren't created in the first place, you'll need to increase the total number of civilizations to include at least one of each; five is the bare minimum, since the game will aim for at least one civ of each type before creating duplicates.  That won't affect anything as long as you don't touch the "Use Seed" or "Seed" values, though.  Strictly speaking, you can also get rid of the NAME_SEED and CREATURE_SEED (or just set both and HISTORY_SEED to random using Dwarf Fortress' internal settings screens instead of playing with the text file) if you want to mix those things up as well, also.  There are apparently some really finicky changes that may also affect geography that are listed on the Wiki here, so if you have the geography the way you like it, I don't recommend playing with any of the geography settings further.  That is, unless it's for !!SCIENCE!!. :3
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:59:41 am by Culise »

Tarsius

• Bay Watcher
  • this is something that shows up below your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: March 21, 2016, 08:54:20 am »

is there a way to generate a world that is guaranteed to only have dwarves, kobolds, and goblins without having to rely on random generation?
and this is something that shows up below your post

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: March 21, 2016, 09:18:58 am »

Raw manipulation.  You'll want to get rid of anything tied to elves and humans to be thorough, or to be hacky, tweak their raws so that they cannot survive.  Setting their maxage to some arbitrarily low number, f'rex, or going the nuclear option by playing with the ignition or homeothermal settings.  I'm afraid it's not something I've ever actually done before, though.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: March 21, 2016, 01:24:03 pm »

Is there anything I can do/try to stop missing "R"epeating or "S"uspended tags in a workshop 'Q' interface? That's really annoying. Something about true type?

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: March 21, 2016, 01:47:48 pm »

EDIT:
Mind you, I'm assuming the reason you don't have humans or elves is because they were created but later went extinct during worldgen.  If they weren't created in the first place, you'll need to increase the total number of civilizations to include at least one of each; five is the bare minimum, since the game will aim for at least one civ of each type before creating duplicates.  That won't affect anything as long as you don't touch the "Use Seed" or "Seed" values, though.  Strictly speaking, you can also get rid of the NAME_SEED and CREATURE_SEED (or just set both and HISTORY_SEED to random using Dwarf Fortress' internal settings screens instead of playing with the text file) if you want to mix those things up as well, also.  There are apparently some really finicky changes that may also affect geography that are listed on the Wiki here, so if you have the geography the way you like it, I don't recommend playing with any of the geography settings further.  That is, unless it's for !!SCIENCE!!. :3

Thanks for the answer ! So far i have tried to :

- regenerate with a new history seed
- increase the number of civilizations (from 5 up to 40 )
- changing the numbers of years (from 10 to 500 )

I generated at least 10 worlds and still no elves or humans in sight  :( ! Even with a very short world history (like 10 years), so i'm pretty sure that they don't extinct, they are just not generated ... Any clue ?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: March 21, 2016, 01:48:25 pm »

Is there anything I can do/try to stop missing "R"epeating or "S"uspended tags in a workshop 'Q' interface? That's really annoying. Something about true type?

I use 2D, True Type = Yes, and Phoebus default that came with LNP. Toggle with F12.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: March 21, 2016, 01:51:16 pm »

EDIT:

Thanks for the answer ! So far i have tried to :

- regenerate with a new history seed
- increase the number of civilizations (from 5 up to 40 )
- changing the numbers of years (from 10 to 500 )

I generated at least 10 worlds and still no elves or humans in sight  :( ! Even with a very short world history (like 10 years), so i'm pretty sure that they don't extinct, they are just not generated ... Any clue ?

Don't elves need trees to establish a civ?  And humans need farming lands?  Just like dwarves need mountain/hills to start a civ?

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: March 23, 2016, 04:34:01 am »

Quick question:

Are savegames compatible between Windows and linux version?
Can I just copy save folder from one to another and expect it to work?

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: March 23, 2016, 12:56:14 pm »

quick question while I'm away from my personal computer, if you assign a dining room table to a spouse does the other spouse get the table too? I think that's true...

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: March 23, 2016, 01:52:20 pm »

I just hit F12 a couple times when I suspect it happens.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: March 23, 2016, 06:11:59 pm »

quick question while I'm away from my personal computer, if you assign a dining room table to a spouse does the other spouse get the table too? I think that's true...
Yes, same with bedrooms.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: March 24, 2016, 08:30:50 am »

Are savegames compatible between Windows and linux version?
Can I just copy save folder from one to another and expect it to work?

Yes, and yes.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: March 24, 2016, 01:40:27 pm »

I have a large amount of caged prisoners. I tried to drown them, but it seems that they survived. Can creatures in cages not be drowned?
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 268