Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440099 times)

basedbeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3960 on: March 10, 2020, 03:04:32 pm »

Hello all! First post on here so apologies for any faux pas.

I have intelligent undead citizens who play nice and do their jobs, but I cannot edit their labors. Is there any way to change this?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3961 on: March 11, 2020, 07:10:59 am »

I have intelligent undead citizens who play nice and do their jobs, but I cannot edit their labors. Is there any way to change this?
Maybe in a few years of residing, they'll get full citizenship status.
Thread on intelligent pet labors: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=170816.0
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3962 on: March 11, 2020, 07:14:19 am »

Can the player character who has joined a fort be made to marry?[/b]

Can adventurers who belong to a civ that bans using products made from sentients, use their own webs to make silk?
Hi, welcome to the forums!

One can try putting target dwarves in an isolated(walled-off) socialization inn for a year, see if they get married.
DFHack script for forcing marriage: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2t6wo0/can_i_make_two_dwarves_married_through_modding/
I believe forcemarry should work on retired adventurers, haven't tested. I don't play adventure mode. No idea whether adv's companions also settle in the same place.

"their own webs" sounds like a modding question.
I guess the silk material does not have [IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL] tag.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:16:11 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Meridian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: March 11, 2020, 05:52:21 pm »

"their own webs" sounds like a modding question.
I guess the silk material does not have [IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL] tag.

I know that brown recluse animal people have [WEBS], but I don't know if web gathering and past that is possible in adventure mode.
Figured I'd ask for the weird scenario where an adventurer has harvested their own webs, trips to a fortress, and begins making a hat, but I also doubt the game has a way to punish that were it a Sentient Kill crafting job.

Thanks for the info tho!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: March 11, 2020, 09:44:27 pm »

I don't know if web gathering and past that is possible in adventure mode.
Any adventurer that can get on a tile with web, without getting webbed, can then pick it up. (Need an empty grasp or it gets picked up as web. Non-spider creatures can jump onto the tile without getting webbed.) However, they can't then use any thread without a mod.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

basedbeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: March 17, 2020, 10:32:01 pm »

How exactly does focus affect a dwarf's ability to do a job? Does "badly distracted" equate to a skill penalty in terms of speed and quality?

If I had, say, a badly distracted legendary Stonecrafter, would they even be worth working if the badly distracted status isn't going away?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: April 11, 2020, 12:15:05 pm »

I'm curious about why the difference in individual combat drill colors, green/orange. Couldn't find anything in the wiki or with google.

All 3 drilling dwarfs use different weapons.
All 3 drilling dwarfs are in the same squad.
Could it be connected with purple for administrators, i.e., purple gets green?

FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: April 11, 2020, 03:14:47 pm »

Is there a difference in which of these dwarfs are on Active duty? Yellow ICD is normal for dwarfs who are off-duty and want something to do. Green might be Active dwarfs that couldn't train together for some reason (haven't reached the minimum skills to start sparring or are forced into single-dwarf training). Similar to Pray and Pray!, one is interruptible and one is not.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: April 11, 2020, 03:54:38 pm »

They're all in the same boat... the squad's schedule is "train, 10 minimum" for the current month, but the squad is "inactive".  They all have low skills, not up to sparring yet.  I'm having trouble seeing a real difference between the 3 dwarfs. Deduk is the squad leader. Their stress levels are all strangely coincident at -4 at that moment. They've been doing lots of demonstrations and training frequently despite the squad being "inactive" and plenty of hauling jobs to be done.

"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: April 11, 2020, 04:15:53 pm »

In fact, I've never seen such a productive group of 3 dwarfs training. I'm proud of their little fledgling squad  :)

All 3 of them lead and watch demonstrations... dodging, armor, fighting demonstrations.
Either all 3 participate or sometimes just 2 if the 3rd is eating/drinking.
And in a short time, their Teacher and Student skills are going up several points... I wish I'd had a screenshot from DT just a week prior to see the numbers.

BTW, the nicknames are 0 for the embarks, 1 for 1st migrants.  The + is squad leader, - is squad member, (space) is civilian.

It must be the narcotics I'm on post-abscessed-wisdom-tooth extraction, lol. ;D

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: April 11, 2020, 05:32:43 pm »

If they are doing demonstrations, then the squad is active. When a squad is inactive, they will only do solo training (95% certain about this). That would also explain why they are not hauling.

Maybe the difference in color is related to the "Individual Combat Drill/Resting" phase, which I recall seeing as a job description in the 'v' 'g' section, but I cannot recall if that full job description appears in the Units screen.

I use nicknames for indexing also. When you get over 100 dwarfs...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: April 11, 2020, 05:41:17 pm »

Right after I posted the first time, I did make them "active" and forgot to mention it. Thus the demonstrations, which now include shield demos.

No, the job "Individual Combat Drill/Resting" does show like that in the units screen.

All in all, the original question was only a curiosity anyway, probably of very little importance.

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: April 13, 2020, 06:10:46 am »

I tried it a couple times but I can't get marksdwarves to pick up ammunition that is brought with embark. They pick up their quiver and crossbow but no bolts. Can someone confirm that this works for them? (Yes, bolts are allowed for both training and combat)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: April 13, 2020, 07:50:50 am »

I didn't test it, but would ask, did you bring less than 100 bolts and if you do 'm' 'f', were your bolts already assigned to the hunters?
     and

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: April 13, 2020, 12:11:11 pm »

I didn't test it, but would ask, did you bring less than 100 bolts and if you do 'm' 'f', were your bolts already assigned to the hunters?
You hit the mark. They were assigned to hunters, even when I had no hunters. Wasn't aware of that ammunition assignment mechanic before.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 268