Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How sad are you that a simple issue can bring out the worst in people?

It makes me sad. So very very sad.
- 58 (49.6%)
I think it's great!
- 26 (22.2%)
I'm indifferent.
- 33 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: 2014: Equal rights  (Read 51846 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: 2014: Equal rights
« Reply #240 on: July 14, 2014, 02:36:17 pm »

Out of curiosity, would it make more sense to have some races more/less gay? I really don't picture Dwarves as gay, but elves I can. It's just how I view the races.

The idea of sexuality tends to vary from culture to culture, it would make sense for different levels of prominence.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 14, 2014, 02:38:40 pm »

why are people against gay marriage in this game anyway.
there's plenty of things in this game that aren't strictly needed i dont see why gay marriage would be any different. all it does is provide more fuel for interesting stories, which is what df is all about.

people saying that gay marriage shouldnt be in the game for some obscure reason are assholes
the guy that's calling us "neckbeards" is an asshole too though.
im probably an asshole for calling people assholes. :v

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 14, 2014, 02:39:05 pm »

Surprisingly, this isnt that far removed from the current "Night creature spouse" type transformations that happen in the game already.
This is true, but perhaps the new feature of sexuality will allow for an expanded role for these night creatures.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 14, 2014, 02:39:19 pm »

No SJW is what I call first world children with no idea what oppression is beyond what they've been taught by tumblr. When you point to people modding a video game or playing it in a way not according to your views as a sign of opression, you're too far gone to reason with. It's not even the game itself, the one programmed by a couple of guys who arguably catered to your ideology by introducing the mechanics in the first place, although reasonably he just introduced a realistic factor of interpersonal relationships, at least for humans, and hell why not dwarves too. There's practically no dysmorphia between the two dwarven sexes, if anything it should be even more common than among humans.

Anyways, we've had threads devoted to sick mendelian breeding experiments, harvest of merpeople so their valuable bones could be crafted for goods, mad max pits for children leaving the few who survive scarred and emotionally dead, and dozens of similar, extremely un-PC projects. The idea that some dwarves in a fort modded to dislike homosexuality is "oppressive" is just laughable.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:41:39 pm by Gukag »

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 14, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »

Out of curiosity, would it make more sense to have some races more/less gay? I really don't picture Dwarves as gay, but elves I can. It's just how I view the races.

The idea of sexuality tends to vary from culture to culture, it would make sense for different levels of prominence.

I almost said the same but then there's the "closet" homosexuals to account for and gah.. maybe I'M hypersensitive now XD

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 14, 2014, 02:40:29 pm »

there's plenty of things in this game that aren't strictly needed i dont see why gay marriage would be any different. all it does is provide more fuel for interesting stories, which is what df is all about.

people saying that gay marriage shouldnt be in the game for some obscure reason are assholes
I... Don't think anyone is saying it shouldn't? I recall people asking if it was a bug or not, and some asking for it to be optional rather than out of the game completely, but...

The only other big thing is people asking for, y'know, a bit of gritty realism.
Take a closer look at this text!

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 14, 2014, 02:42:32 pm »

The debate ought to end. No-one—or, rather, almost no-one—is paying any further regard to the "the guy." No matter what one's view is on the topic, it is now in the game—with modable adjustments.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Sumyunguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 14, 2014, 02:43:32 pm »

You missed the flame war a couple pages back. We're about the feature now, not about getting angry because people have different opinions.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 14, 2014, 02:45:15 pm »

Homosexual warriors is probably a very bad idea in DF. Sure they won't have children, but theyll go nuts when their partner dies.

Best practice to employ unmarried dwarves and give them no chance to build relationships.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 14, 2014, 02:46:59 pm »

Seems to be concrete here. Basically you have another tool other than/in addition to pop caps to make birth rates whatever you want them to be. Also love females actually getting a chance to do combat like most of you.

EDIT: Did not take into account Eric's post... Might need micromanagement.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 14, 2014, 02:48:12 pm »

Seems to be concrete here. Basically you have another tool other than/in addition to pop caps to make birth rates whatever you want them to be. Also love females actually getting a chance to do combat like most of you.
Well it's not that they couldn't do combat before it's just that they had two shields and that's not fair to the goblins.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2014, 02:48:25 pm »

Actually, I think the whole addition of ethics to be kinda fun. That way, from civilization to civilization, country to country, you could have wars based over vegetarianism, or homosexuality, or atheism.

It would be cool RPing a holy warrior on a crusade against the scourge of [INSERT THING HERE]
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2014, 02:49:27 pm »

Well it's not that they couldn't do combat before it's just that they had two shields and that's not fair to the goblins.

Sorry I meant a lot of us wouldn't let them because of that second shield.

Wait.. I sense sarcasm.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:51:51 pm by xeluc »

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 14, 2014, 02:52:24 pm »

I think same-sex relationships and marriage would be a great addition to the game. With dwarves, we're essentially building our own culture from scratch here. They're clearly not supposed to be based off of any real-world historical culture (what historical culture executed people with hammers, drank only alcohol, and lived underground?), and they're not really based off of any fictional one, either (what fictional dwarf civilization did all of the above, built pumps for magma, had perfect gender equality, etc. etc.?). Notions of gender roles and sexual orientation and even little things (my favourite--ancient Romans viewed pants as feminine) varied so much throughout history and between cultures that there's no real reason that, even in a pre-industrial society, a different species in a different world couldn't be more progressive than ours.
Arguing that humans in history in such and such location acted in one way or another is pretty irrelevant here. What matters is: what do we want our dwarven society to look like? We have an opportunity to make a society and culture from whole cloth, and I think we should take advantage of that fact. Dwarven males and females are equally well respected in all respects in DF, which is "unrealistic" if you only look at humans in medieval europe, so I don't really see any reason that they shouldn't treat dwarves of different orientation equally in all respects, which is also "unrealistic" if you, again, only look at humans in medieval europe. The world of Armok isn't the West, it isn't medieval (It's not set after a continent-wide empire collapsed. The world starts the way it is in dwarf fortress), and, obviously, it's not even humans we're talking about here.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 14, 2014, 02:54:30 pm »

So you people actively WANT homophobia in your game? And here I thought DF had a good community. Boy, was I wrong.

Again, kidnapping, cannibalism, and murder. What constitutes good to have in the game does not necessarily mean "good thing".

Kidnappin cannibalism and murder all present fun gameplay aspects to me, while homophobia doesnt seem like it would add much except for a burning hatred of the kind dwarf folk...

Think about it gameplay wise, what depth would homophobia add?   would gay dwarves be burned at the stake?   or would homophobic dwarves et a bad thought at seeing a gay couple?   either way it doesnt really add much substance to the gameplay, not as much as our time tested murder, cannibalism, and kidnapping anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21