Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Retiring in a fortress...  (Read 9328 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Retiring in a fortress...
« on: July 23, 2014, 10:04:55 am »

I was looking through the DFtalk of a year ago, and found this quote:

Rainseeker:   So for this release, what we want to see on the comment section about this podcast is we want to hear if anyone has done this. Strategy is taking an adventurer, retiring him to a dwarf fortress, trained him, and then used him for regular adventuring. So, someone leave us a comment and tell us if you've done this, or if you haven't, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

I know why it hasn't been done yet: Crashes, but those should be fixed now. So..?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Retiring in a fortress...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:25:20 am »

i'm guessing retiring in a dwarf fortress means a player fortress and not just in some mountain home since they haven't really been there for a while (0.28.40d19 ?)

only in this release have you been able to officially retire a fortress without abandoning it.  if you abandon a fortress, you can no longer retire adventurers there.  someone (rumrusher i think?) came up with a way to use dfhack to retire fortresses in previous versions.  i used that in 0.31 and parked several adventurers, then reclaimed and had them all be my elite multi-race fortress guard.

most fun i've had with a dwarf fortress.  the elf was incredible at chasing down thieves.  the modded ogre killed a dragon using a great-axe in one hand and a shield in the other.

in this version it seems like parked adventurers are flagged as hostile 100% of the time.  though there doesn't seem to be any aggressive behavior between them and your dwarves.  adventure followers seem to get flagged as friendly.  but still no ability to control labors and have them integrate with your fortress.  so at the moment it's not that do-able.

i hope these bugs get fixed soon.  i want a return of the multi-race fort with an elite fortress guard.  i'd also like some sortof dungeonkeeper option to assume control of an individual in fortress mode for a limited amount of time.  it would be great for teaching my dwarves how to swim.   but actually sounds like epic fun for assuming control of a champion during a horrible goblin siege.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:02:53 pm »

.. The Dftalk of last year is the last dftalk. They were talking about this release.

in this version it seems like parked adventurers are flagged as hostile 100% of the time.  though there doesn't seem to be any aggressive behavior between them and your dwarves.  adventure followers seem to get flagged as friendly.  but still no ability to control labors and have them integrate with your fortress.  so at the moment it's not that do-able.
I see. So that's next release then, if the devlog is to go by.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:07:52 pm »

oh well I guess now it's easier to retire a fort with out having to realign the groups now.
but now it's a case of reclaim where anyone not of the sit perfect civ and group which are generated for the fort, will be counted as other.
I wonder if you build 2 forts close next to each other will they migrate one set to the other? if that's true can you migrate adventurers that way?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:19:40 pm »

I wonder if you build 2 forts close next to each other will they migrate one set to the other? if that's true can you migrate adventurers that way?

interesting idea.  i had thought of trying something similar for submerged body recovery, but hadn't thought to try and influence migrant waves.

benevolentNuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:06:51 pm »

While adventurers of different civs than the fort are hostile, those from the same civ join the fort.

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:20:09 pm »

While adventurers of different civs than the fort are hostile, those from the same civ join the fort.

good to know!  i tired that in the 0.40.01 release and it consistently crashed before the fort map loaded.  guess i haven't tried since then.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 12:01:59 am »

I retired my dwarven adventurer in one of my retired forts once, and he died of thirst during the two-week world update when I picked up the fort right after. This was in 40.01 though, and I haven't checked if it works in the new patch.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:39:19 am »

Civ not race, so adventurers already retired are doomed to be hostile, dwarves from other mountainhomes also doomed, you gotta be directly from the same civ as the embark group to join.
"body swapping and YOU!"

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:40:25 am »

Civ not race, so adventurers already retired are doomed to be hostile, dwarves from other mountainhomes also doomed, you gotta be directly from the same civ as the embark group to join.
Do you think maybe getting a really good reputation with the right civil could make you a member? Because then you could do that with a human or elf to get an interracial fort. Though I would try it with a dwarf first as that's more likely to work. It does have the problem that you would need a pretty successful adventurer to do that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 12:16:43 pm »

just did an experiment and made a dwarf from the same civ (in this case "the ink of wads") and then parked him in my fortress and he's still hostile.

i legends mode it says his related entities are:
 the whip of disemboweling (member)
 the whip of disemboweling (fortress guard, 135 to present)
 the ink of wads (member)

the whip of disemboweling sounds like goblinspeak to me, but i picked "likot dogik" (the ink of wads) when making him.  going to have to investigate further.

edit1:
made another dwarf, not a demigod this time but again from the same civ, parked her at the fort.  this time related entities are:
 the gates of influence (member)
 the ink of wads (member)

on unretire she is...hostile again.  but her related entities haven't changed

maybe i should try a human outsider and see if that clears them to just be members of the one entity.

edit2: human outsider, only related entity after retire:
 the ink of wads (member)
still hostile, not the best test, can only make human outsiders in vanilla, next thing i guess should be:
  gen a pocket world with only one dwarf civ modded so i can have a dwarven outsider
  park them at a fortress.
not terribly hopeful at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:58:59 pm by zimluura »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 03:16:46 pm »

oh there's like 4 different site ids for a unit, CIV_id, Group_id, population_id and Cultural Identity  usually 2 to 3 of those are filled Civ_id being the one that always, now the Civ_id is usually the main site then population id is the groups that move in to those sites,

when you start your adventurer you start with a background in any of the sites in the man Civ which could be form from any different group.

so it's pretty much impossible to hellishly rare to get an adventurer to retire to a fort and become apart of it.
"body swapping and YOU!"

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 04:05:53 pm »

oh there's like 4 different site ids for a unit, CIV_id, Group_id, population_id and Cultural Identity  usually 2 to 3 of those are filled Civ_id being the one that always, now the Civ_id is usually the main site then population id is the groups that move in to those sites,

when you start your adventurer you start with a background in any of the sites in the man Civ which could be form from any different group.

so it's pretty much impossible to hellishly rare to get an adventurer to retire to a fort and become apart of it.

This sounds like a bug though. Toady specifically stated in the last DF talk that he wanted this to be possible.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 08:56:31 pm »

okay just super check this there's no way you can keep your citizens if you retire them on a retired fort,

also the resident flag is what keeps them from working and acts like hostile.
even friendly same race units if they have the resident flag on they will show up as 'hostile'

like if you say turn a jeweler into an adventurer then walk out if you happen to say claim a site or do anything adventurous you will strip all of your unit's site base ids for a new Civ_id.
it's pretty mess up and no real way to easily get an adventurer into fort mode unless someone sits through the migrant pool in fort mode or use dfhack.
"body swapping and YOU!"

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 12:20:07 am »

Couldn't you retire a fortress, make a adventurer from said fortress, retire him, and then un-retire the fortress?
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.
Pages: [1] 2