Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358819 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1830 on: January 23, 2016, 07:21:44 am »

Still no news, and our messenger has stopped hearing anything either. We have no reason to believe Josh isn't working, but no word of anything has reached anyone on the forums. General consensus, and the recommendation from Sean the mod and messenger, is for the forum to go into hibernation and everyone find something else to do.

I believe Josh is working, but very slowly. From what I understand he is working full time to support himself, and not on the game. Thus the game is only progressing in Josh's spare time.

Wasn't the point of the KS to not have to work a job and work on the game? What was the point of the KS then if he has to go back to work a year after the KS ended?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1831 on: January 23, 2016, 08:12:56 am »

I don't know what his development costs have been but the amount raised by the kickstarter wasn't even a decent year's wage in some parts of the states. Where does he live?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: January 23, 2016, 10:34:47 am »

Either Boston or Texas, I'm not sure.

80,000 isn't much and it's also going to art costs and the like.

As much as the new features sound cool, I was hyped for the game as described pre-kickstarter.  More and more I wish the kickstarter had failed or been only a modest success.
Shoes...

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: January 23, 2016, 10:42:06 am »

The main programmer, Josh, moved to Austin. The other guy (PR/corporate officer/etc) is in Boston. He does not work on the game full time.

I know some of the money went to art assets (and I know this independently of KDG's representations), but the rest, it's unclear. One of the mods, Sean, made a few representations about what the money was and was not used for but I haven't looked at them recently.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:46:23 am by ZeroGravitas »

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: January 23, 2016, 11:44:32 am »

I know some of the money went to art assets (and I know this independently of KDG's representations), but the rest, it's unclear. One of the mods, Sean, made a few representations about what the money was and was not used for but I haven't looked at them recently.
Keep in mind that I cannot actually represent KDG; I don't work for them. I was just serving as a communications liaison between KDG and the backers for a while. So while I try to make sure that what I'm saying is accurate to the best of my knowledge, don't take it as gospel and/or legal fact.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: January 23, 2016, 02:29:34 pm »

Who knows, maybe it'll be ready in time for a good present for next Christmas!
Maybe.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Capsicum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: January 23, 2016, 09:06:03 pm »

Definitely my last time backing anything on Kickstarter. I'm not out much money regardless of what happens, but  the experience has altered my opinion of crowdfunding, as in; no thanks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1837 on: January 23, 2016, 09:08:07 pm »

Definitely my last time backing anything on Kickstarter. I'm not out much money regardless of what happens, but  the experience has altered my opinion of crowdfunding, as in; no thanks.
Kickstarter isn't a store. You should never go in with the mindset that you are buying a product. You are donating to a project which may or may not come to fruition. Don't buy into the hype. Hell it might be best to just ignore it for 6 months and check back after that to see progress.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: January 23, 2016, 10:06:56 pm »

I treat this kind of stuff like gambling - assume the money is lost. If you get something for it, you win.

I don't gamble and very VERY rarely back anything in early access or similar. There's a reason for that...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 23, 2016, 10:07:59 pm »

Kickstarter isn't a store. You should never go in with the mindset that you are buying a product. You are donating to a project which may or may not come to fruition. Don't buy into the hype. Hell it might be best to just ignore it for 6 months and check back after that to see progress.

No you aren't donating

You are "producing" or "Funding".

Donations are a gift. Funding means they have a obligation towards you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: January 24, 2016, 12:02:31 am »

Kickstarter is not a donation and it's (ostensibly at least) not a gamble.  The person receiving the money does have an obligation to deliver, or at least provide refunds.

This is the only project I've ever backed on KS.  With how this one's gone, it's going to stay the only one.
Shoes...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: January 24, 2016, 12:09:13 am »

Eh, I'm okay with how things are going. I've been kinda keeping it on my radar, but as long as a game evemtually comes out of it I'll be happy. Don't care if I have to wait a while.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1842 on: January 24, 2016, 01:07:55 am »

Sorry, I was explaining my own mindset towards kickstarter but failed to add words to that effect because I'm tired.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: January 24, 2016, 01:31:39 am »

I haven't backed this project, but I did back four other ones, out of which, two produced games that I never got around to playing, one is still in active development, but much delayed, and one is still too early to tell, so yeah....

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: January 24, 2016, 07:11:59 am »

I've kickstarted or early-accessed a few different games, some of which have turned out well (Prison Architect, KSP), some of which have turned out adequately (Cosmonautica), some of which have turned out poorly (Spacebase DF-9, StarForge) and some of which haven't turned out at all at the time of writing (Net Gain).

My mindset's not far away from forsaken's.  While I don't consider it a donation per se, I don't view the 'obligation' that the developers have towards me to be anywhere near the level of e.g. a developer who's selling a finished product.  I don't expect immediate responses.  I don't expect huge, PR-representative levels of communication.  I don't, crucially, expect timelines to be accurate (or even remotely accurate).

That's mostly due to my experience to date with EA/kickstarter projects.  TWS is, at this point in time, not radically different from any of the other projects I've put money towards, and is substantially better than a number of them (SBDF-9, SF and Net Gain in particular).  I'm really not that worried at this stage.  That might change if the communications blackout continues on for months, but not right now.

Edit: mi spelin is atroshus.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 210