Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 357590 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1860 on: January 27, 2016, 03:52:48 pm »

Yeah but we're also TERRIBLE at oversight for funding mental health and disabilities. Lots of fraud cases in that department. (Admittedly, larger scale fraud than a single individual, but still.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: January 27, 2016, 07:12:47 pm »

That one girl prob just ran against a wall and is now trying to feign lunacy so the backers dont ask for refunds en masse. The only exceptional thing about her is that her project actualy got funded, somehow.

Far from it.  Her KS profile has links to both her facebook and deviant art accounts, which are both packed with lunacy going back years before the kickstarter (I figure it's okay to post them if she did), although it seems to have shifted away from celestial beings and towards gender, race and plants as of late.  Even the image used of her as her KS avatar is from a nude photo.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: January 27, 2016, 09:03:20 pm »

It looks like schizophrenia, which is terrible.  The worst part is it often strikes in your twenties, so it ends up really fucking people over because they have no coping skills to deal with it.

Edit:  This video always freaks me out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V521Umt1NjU
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:08:41 pm by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

takfpbi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: January 27, 2016, 11:04:04 pm »

The sun telling you stuff is like one end of the creative spectrum. Pretty far towards the end, but where do you think "creative" ideas come from, anyway? Not the sun, obviously, but voices in your head that don't care much about reality. Or actively dislike it. Or hate it with the fire of a thousand suns. Where do you think the impulse to play escapist fantasy games comes from? Same thing, just not so far along. Just because you don't hear actual voices speaking actual sentences doesn't mean you (and I) aren't on the same spectrum. If you weren't, or were even very far towards the other direction, you wouldn't be playing computer games or posting on a forum about them at all.

I take it that the guy in the video linked above heard the phone ring and a voice talk to him when he picked it up. I wonder if he saw the screen say that he had an incoming call? Does the phone have a record of a call, or would it have a record of a missed call if he didn't pick up? Does he see the screen say that there is an incoming call when he hears the ring and looks at the screen (and the voice tells him that someone is at his door when there is no one there)? Would other people not see any indication of a call on his screen? Or does he not think to check that? Obviously he gets some kind of strong indication that he's getting a call (I assume he hears the phone's ringtone). He also gets some sense from somewhere that it might not be real, because he says that it's probably an episode. But then he answers and listens and hangs up and goes to the door to check anyway (and of course no one is there).

The thing about it is how compelling it is, even when he strongly suspects that it's not real.

Again though: everyone does unproductive things. Everyone gets confused from time to time. Everyone believes some things that aren't true. If you pay attention, you will see that you have thoughts in your own head that prompt you towards the uproductive, the untrue, and the crazy in various ways. Maybe you don't actually hear or see things that other people don't hear or see--in other words, it doesn't proceed out of your thoughts and into your senses. Maybe it's not as compelling, and you usually don't act on it, or at least not so much. But it's still there, and it's the same thing, only not as strong in you as in the "schizophrenic."

None of this stuff is new, or even particularly mysterious. In fact, it's very old and quite well understood. But there are a very large number of people who are very invested in NOT believing the old explanations. Hence modern "diseases" like schizophrenia, which will no doubt be categorized and named differently in another few centuries, this time with even less understanding and even less effective treatments.

The effective treatment, by the way, is to choose reality every time you are given a choice between fantasy and reality. The more you do it, the better you get at it, just like everything else.

Anyway, something to consider next time you think about whether or not to fund a Kickstarter. What are you putting your money up for? How much are you paying for pure fantasy: not the fantasy that the game might deliver, but the fantasy that the Kickstarter itself delivers? Not the fantasy of being the emperor of space or whatever, but the fantasy of playing a game about being the emperor of space? A delivered game with code and data that puts pretty pictures on your screen is still about 95-99% pure fantasy: like cotton candy. The only reason it works is because you are willing to go along with the fantasy. Kickstarter, Early Access, charging for betas... that's just part of the process of moving from 99% pure to 99.9%. Another small step on a path that's already very long and well trod. If you never get a product, were you totally cheated? Or did you get what you were actually paying for, and what you actually wanted: something that never existed and never will, regardless of whether or not you ever get some new software?

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: January 28, 2016, 12:21:18 am »

Edit: There was a poor attempt at a joke here; it's gone now.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:25:58 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: January 28, 2016, 01:57:56 am »

So we're just mocking people with mental illness now?

Classy as hell.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: January 28, 2016, 02:19:20 am »

-Stuff-

As a diagnosed Schizo, I find medication helps. Olanzapine has the least in the way of side effects I have had to suffer through and I even found myself a semi-steady job.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: January 28, 2016, 02:25:14 pm »

So we're just mocking people with mental illness now?

Classy as hell.

Now rereading that, it is neither all that funny or that nice so I'll probably just edit it out.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 28, 2016, 09:34:25 pm »

Yeah, as time passes people have realized mental diseases is more of a spectrum, then a black and white.  As it turns out, the human mind is really complicated.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: January 31, 2016, 10:30:45 am »

I couldn't resist... Interview with KDG from 2014:D (Someone posted about the article on the official forum.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: February 02, 2016, 09:26:12 am »

Yep, saw it linked on the KDG forums, pretty hilariously ironic.

Well, sort of. The development seemed fine up to a point when Josh blamed the development woes on a AI bug, and then... Never commented about it again?
Hate to repeat this, but I do hope this doens't become another Cult.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: February 02, 2016, 10:13:51 am »

For the low, low price of your first-born child, you too can experience the joys of That Which Sleeps? That kind of cult?

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: February 02, 2016, 10:21:40 am »

Well, sort of. The development seemed fine up to a point when Josh blamed the development woes on a AI bug, and then... Never commented about it again?

Heh..yeah.   :D Anyway...TWS is listed for a 2017 release @ Gamepressure.
/sarcasm on
They must know something... :D
/sarcasm off
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:40:49 am by gimli »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:11 am »

For the low, low price of your first-born child, you too can experience the joys of That Which Sleeps? That kind of cult?
Actualy, a KS project done by an ex-bay12er that consisted of an open world roguelike-ish game with some really interesting mechanics. It was funded and then the developer just kind of disappeared after posting a video and a barebones soundtrack. Apparently the forum agreed to not talk about it again.

So uh, this weather huh? Anyway, ye, nobody has any concrete idea on when TWS is comming out. If its comming out.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:41:39 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: February 02, 2016, 11:21:06 am »

Honestly, I still don't think Josh is intentionally misleading anyone or is blaming anything unnecessarily. I suspect he just crashed face-first into the Pareto Principle, and now is in the long slog of actually wrapping up software.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 210