Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358787 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2535 on: January 26, 2017, 04:40:56 am »

I'm not particularily optimistic
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: January 26, 2017, 06:40:35 am »

Yeah gifs don't really sit with forum etiquette here at all, I've seen Toady take them off, and it's generally just not done. A few non-screenshotted images that are on topic (like By the Emperor reactions on W40k threads) are fine, but if you want to do reaction gifs, go to 4chan. They don't add anything, and just slow down debate and people's internet.

Part of the reason I (and others) come here is that it's relatively low bandwidth. Sure I want to see a few pictures, but I don't want my tiny data caps taken up with tired overused gifs that don't relate to the subject.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2537 on: January 26, 2017, 06:48:10 am »

This shouldn't even be a discussion. If you feel someone hast posted something out of line just report it. Toady will decide.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: January 26, 2017, 07:41:59 am »

Dude has a limited amount of time to deal with stuff. People mutually deciding to not act in dickholish ways is far better than acting however and then asking an outside entity to tell us if we're doing good or not.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2539 on: January 26, 2017, 07:47:31 am »

Dude has a limited amount of time to deal with stuff. People mutually deciding to not act in dickholish ways is far better than acting however and then asking an outside entity to tell us if we're doing good or not.
Sure, but now we're arguing interpretations of the rules because someone doesn't like something even though it's not actually against the rules. I'm not saying report everything, I'm saying report something if you think it IS against the rules. There is no need to threaten people or argue about how the rules might actually include something that they don't. Obviously we should not be dicks. I don't think posting a single reaction gif is being a dick. The argument against that single reaction gif has caused more disruption than the gif itself, and posting it is not against any rule I see. It's not excessively large, it's not been spammed. It was only 7kb, it's not like he posted a 3MB HD gif. So this argument is just about "I don't like when people do this so I will stretch the rules so it sounds like they're not allowed"

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: January 26, 2017, 09:42:15 am »

So so so... just spoiler it? No replies pls, ya'll are wasting your time again.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2541 on: January 26, 2017, 09:51:21 am »

Yes, sorry. Back on topic.

So looking at the images included in that update, I can tell he did a lot of work on the interface. Map modes will be a big plus for sorting through all of the faction and opinion information if we'll be playing political groups against one another. The underground strategic view is an unexpected surprise as well. Imagine tunneling over to a city and unleashing horrors in their sewers and then helping your human pawn 'defeat' them and having him proclaimed as a hero or something.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: January 26, 2017, 10:06:32 am »

Welp, its not like people didn't get nice screenshots and videos before, getting nice screenies now doesn't add much to anything. I'd wait until people get something they can play with before restarting the hype wave.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2543 on: January 26, 2017, 10:10:41 am »

Well yes obviously it could still fail but at least this should stop the silly cries of 'he was a scammer the whole time' no? I mean what would be the point of continuing the scam at this point?

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: January 26, 2017, 11:08:15 am »

His timing is what really gets me, and is about the only not-terrible argument towards him trying to do *something*. It was basically as dead as a Kickstarter with lots of backers can get. The beta forums were seeing sporadic posts at best, Fenicks called it quits, and the Bay12 topic got locked. It was done - dead and basically buried. Josh was about as free as he could reasonably be.

Then he just wanders by and digs it back up with an info dump and a vague timeline, effectively restarting the clock. It only really makes sense in the context of not-a-scam, still-trying.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: January 26, 2017, 11:14:58 am »

Yeah, zero reason for a scammer to continue at this point. And I've always felt it was more 'programmer in over his head' than scam. So I'm hopeful we'll get something out of it, even if it's not great.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: January 26, 2017, 11:21:37 am »

It just won't die, will it? The game's as unkillable as an eldritch abomination.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: January 26, 2017, 11:28:45 am »

what if this is the game and we're all already playing it
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: January 26, 2017, 11:31:00 am »

what if this is the game and we're all already playing it

GoTY 2017
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: January 26, 2017, 11:33:16 am »

Maybe you're right. That Which Sleeps Please, if you can read this, you've been in a coma. Wake up. Please wake up. is actually a meta game about building hype.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 210