Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Duerer 15x15 v.0.6.A [TWBT 40.24/Classic 42.02]  (Read 151142 times)

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's that matter? Unless the tile being edited is 158 the + cross roads of a train track and I'm pretty sure it requires another thing unless you leave that blank (it's been a little while), if you wanted you could have them walk around with just up stairway if you didn't want to edit it with twbt.

Wait, wait, what's with train track crossroad? It's tile 197 here and i think it's ok. I just want to make 158 to look like stepladder
Like this

my tracks aren't detailed well to serve as a ladder btw
▲▲▲▲▲
;Ρά&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah I was thinking most of the tilesets use the same things for tracks but I guess they don't.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fix!

Duerer v.0.5.B [40.14]

Ok, here it is:
— redrawn stepladder for semigraphical version (note, in ascii it's still ₷)
— also fixed several minor issues i found while working on TWBT version
▲▲▲▲▲
;Ρά&,
.';,

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Best not-that-graphical set I've ever seen! And not just for Dwarf Fortress!

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

windows, doors, slabs (that highly detailed floor tiles in dining room)
weapon racks, coffins
All types of stairs
Windows and doors I like, although there's probably room for improvement.
Weapon racks and coffins work great, fit with the rest, etc.
Style of the up and down stairs is great. But similarly to vanilla, it's hard to tell at a glance which are up and which are downstairs. Up/downstairs seem a bit steep and the vertical line is irritating.
Maybe you can try experimenting with the current up stairs as basis for all stairs. That is, use them as up/down stairs, and the lower 2/3s as up stair; while the upper 3rd, moved to the bottom of the tile functions as down stair. Of course then it doesn't resemble the '<' and '>' tiles anymore.

Can't really say anything about the slabs. I don't like them, they feel out of place, but I have no idea how to improve them either.

Ah I was thinking most of the tilesets use the same things for tracks but I guess they don't.
I certainly considered it, but my track tile looks too much like a track, and '₧' does kinda look like a stepladder already.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't really say anything about the slabs. I don't like them, they feel out of place, but I have no idea how to improve them either.
I have to stop here.
The point is that slabs actually are in place from my point of view. Yes, they don't look like tombs or graveyard slabs etc. But let me explain.
1. Unlike casket/coffin, slab doesn't necessary means to be a grave, you can place it without engraving it, and it will increase room value just like statue and other furniture.
2. Unlike statue, it is passable tile, and i'd like to draw it as passable. Of course, cabinet is passable too, but i can't make cabinet hidden under floor level :)
3. How does it looks like from a point of a real world? Everyone remember that cyberpunk idea. "High tech — low life". So, check this out:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here we see clean developing upper world with huge stock of goods,
fancy interiors, windows, that are hard-to-produce and valuable improvement
(modest quarters use grates instead) etc.

And 2 floors below we see dirty streets with ground walls and no roads at all, random workshops with
piles of junk and vomit tracks, "drawn" by miners, who aren't satisfied by their job.

I think i'm digging deep

So, what am i trying to say. Dwarves are short, sturdy creatures fond of drink and industry, who live in dangerous and sick world of endless fun. And medieval wasn't friendly time too. But what i'm drawing here is not about medieval, it's about renaissance. One of most important milestones of our civilisation. So, dwarves still are dirty and still pouring magma onto their enemies, traitors, heretics and cats (by some strange reason). And at the same time they like to live in prosperity and develop their artist skills. They are miners, and they pretend to be roman patricians.

That's a statue. It's not gothic at all, but it fits into that idea of "High tech — low life". It's dawn of new Era in this incarnation of ARMOK's world, so why not to make other site improvements to look a bit out of place?   ???
Recently i asked you a permission to make graphic set based on letters, just like yours. But two or three days ago, when i started working on it, i realised that you actually was right about the fact, that i should stick with initial concept, and should base my graphic set on Dόrer works. So i have to say sorry for misleading you  ::)

Also sorry for this big-text-out-of-nowhere, i felt i must clarify my ideas. And thanks for feedback  :)

Tl;dr
I'll redraw casket instead. Casket is out of place.
▲▲▲▲▲
;Ρά&,
.';,

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The point is that slabs actually are in place from my point of view.
To clarify, by "they feel out of place" I didn't mean to say that they don't fit your tileset or anything. Just that something felt odd about them and I couldn't put my finger on it. The fact that it's passable (which I didn't even consider) makes your design pretty reasonable; and after reading your explanation, I think I was so irritated by it because they looked so much like a floor tile. Or rather, that they don't stand out enough. With regular floors, engraved floors and slabs as "floor tiles", it might be nice to have slabs stand out more.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The point is that slabs actually are in place from my point of view.
To clarify, by "they feel out of place" I didn't mean to say that they don't fit your tileset or anything. Just that something felt odd about them and I couldn't put my finger on it.

Ah, ok. Lol. I thought, you're pointing on style problem.
I refused to make real-life graveyard slabs to begin with. And first time i tried to make them to "stand out" by filling entire tile to 100%, but it looked like a huge pressure plate. Then i had read about players, who use it as a furniture and asked myself "why not?". And made engraved floor tile out of it.

Btw, almost forgot. About my stairs. I agree, there is a problem with them, but at the same time i like their look. I think, i'll just add optional override for those who prefer traditional solutions, like in Mayday's, Ironhand's and other tilesets
▲▲▲▲▲
;Ρά&,
.';,

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duerer 15x15 tileset v.0.6 — TWBT version is here! [40.13/40.14]
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2014, 06:17:18 pm »

And text now will be text!

What’s new:
This update adds first tier support for "Text will be text" plugin

interface:
— decapitalized numbers (on map they are same as before, though)
— X as cursor
— bunch of minor changes

Map tileset:
— added new tiles for most frequently used items / constructions and minor items, that won’t require raw changes:
   Furniture:
   — coffins / caskets
   — pressure plates / traps
   — levers
   — traction benches
   — slabs
   — weapon racks
   — hives
   Constructions
   — stairs (all three types)
   — doors
   — windows (note, both doors and windows will still use their vanilla tiles as items)
   — bridge borders
   Items
   — jugs / mugs (moved to same tile for now)
   — animal traps
   — mechanisms
   — bins
   — pots
   — buckets
   — cauldrons
   Goods
   — coins (lol)
   — totems
   — figurines
   — clothes
   — threads
   — crowns, earrings, rings, pearls and all
   — leather
— redrawn wall junctions
— minor changes to other tiles

Raw and init changes:

inorganic_mineral.txt
— puddingstone tile changed again, from 232 to 224
— aluminium and alabaster tiles changed from '^' to 131

plants_standart.txt
— Sweet pod, bloated tuber, kobold bulb tiles changed from 232 to 226

item_tool.txt
— jug tile changed from 229 to 20
— pot tile changed from 232 to 238

d_init.txt
— both sky and chasm changed to 0:0:0:0 for slightly better visibility

NOTE: archive contains two raw folders, because there is no DFHack, nor TWBT for 40.14 at the moment
— default "raw" for 40.13
— additional "raw-4014" for 40.14
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:26:24 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;Ρά&,
.';,

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2014, 06:40:11 pm »

Too late :D I already saw the "Wext will be text!" Haha! Though I love what you have done. It looks fantastic beyond measure!

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2014, 06:52:06 pm »

Too late :D I already saw the "Wext will be text!" Haha! Though I love what you have done. It looks fantastic beyond measure!
HAHA
Thanks, but wait, i haven't uploaded previews yet  :)
▲▲▲▲▲
;Ρά&,
.';,

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2014, 07:47:53 pm »

There it is, with enabled multilevel

Also, i just added more new screenshots to OP
▲▲▲▲▲
;Ρά&,
.';,

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2014, 10:14:05 pm »

Ok, did you add the cross-hatching to the shadows, because that is fantastic.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2014, 10:38:07 pm »

Ok, did you add the cross-hatching to the shadows, because that is fantastic.
Yes, just forgot to list it. To be honest i wasn't sure that someone ever will notice this  :)
▲▲▲▲▲
;Ρά&,
.';,

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2014, 10:41:35 pm »

I don't use your set myself due to my being hooked on 24x24 sets, but I love the aesthetic, and totally appreciate the effort that goes into it, so yeah, that's the sort of thing that stands out to me. :D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14