Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24

Author Topic: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.16 Succession Game) - More Players Welcome!  (Read 46288 times)

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.12 Succession Game)
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2014, 03:14:22 pm »

You hear a clap of thunder, rumbling through the fortress, and the howling and whispering of spirits of the afterlife.  Several dwarves spot the ghost of Northstar walking the catacombs- who speaks this warning.

"I have come to deliver this message, direct from the goddess Moldath herself.  She WEEPS at all the metal being thrown into her fiery chasm on the backs of the foul prisoners, instead of being melted down at the Smelter and forged into arms and armor bearing her likeness, instead of that of foul Goblins.  She orders that the Goblins and Trolls be delivered justice by being filled with Crossbow bolts instead of used to POLLUTE her pure volcano.  Also, foul fluffy kittens plot the destruction of our fortress- and must be dealt with!  Throwing the "pet" cats into the volcano *IS* acceptable to her.

In other words, stop incinerating prisoners in the volcano, and start disarming/disarmoring them (and start meting down their arms/armor for equipment for our militia), and use them for live target practice for new squads of Marksdwarves instead.  I really don't care THAT MUCH what you do with the old clothing, but the wasting of our valuable prisoner supply in unacceptable to Moldath (and me), and there WILL be consequences, perhaps from beyond the grave, if you do not heed the ghost's warning.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:17:01 pm by Northstar1989 »
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2014, 05:20:28 pm »

None of the prisoners in the volcano were wearing clothes or armour. Melting down their armour and weapons will have to wait though, there's hundreds of individual bolts that are ripe for magical metal multiplication.

From the memoirs of Melek, third chapter.

In order to combat a potential food shortage, I decided to designate what looked like a million kittens for slaughter. There were still quite a few cats left in the fortress even after this, doubtless on the lookout for revenge. Though I was careful to watch them as much as I could, I could never catch them plotting the vengeance I knew they desired.

The second of Limestone would prove to be a bad day. A craftsdwarf took over a glass furnace, claiming Armok had sent him visions of some great artefact that he had to build, and then we were invaded by goblins. No one in the fortress would pull the lever, because they were all to busy making sub standard engravings or whatever it was they were doing. I would eventually solve this problem by making a burrow around said lever and telling everyone that no one was leaving until it got pulled. A few cats would get trapped outside when the drawbridge lifted, but perhaps it made them focus their rage on the greenskins rather than us dwarves. The goblins would prove to be distinctly unhelpful, staying well outside the range of our archers once they saw that the gates were closed.

The craftsdwarf would later re-emerge holding a green glass table he called 'The Teacher of Forever':
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the meantime, the goblins continued patrolling our walls, looking for a way in, and Lokum the forgotten beast strangled a giant olm. A troll and a crossbowgoblin climbed our walls, but they were taken care of without any casualties. Limestone ended with the enemy still at the gates.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2014, 07:49:29 pm »

From the memoirs of Melek, third chapter.

In order to combat a potential food shortage, I decided to designate what looked like a million kittens for slaughter. There were still quite a few cats left in the fortress even after this, doubtless on the lookout for revenge. Though I was careful to watch them as much as I could, I could never catch them plotting the vengeance I knew they desired.

Watch them and you will see, you will seeeee...  They want to fill our fortress with a million mewing kittens that will drag our fortress FPS down into the single digits.

Butchering the unowned kittens was a good first step- and what I would have done myself (though technically we could have obtained more meat/fat if we let them grow to adulthood first- kittens only yield skulls).  But don't forget that the *owned* cats/kittens still need to be dealt with- you might still consider throwing some of them into the volcano if their numbers become too great...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Catsplosion

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cat

The caged Goblins/Trolls still make excellent live target practice for our Marksdwarves.  If there are any left, DON'T throw them into the volcano- not only is it dangerous (as the dwarves could get shot by archers- even when no siege is visible on the map there is always the danger of an ambush), but it also deprives our Marksdwarves of valuable experience.  I suggest emplacing the Goblin cages in the arena set one by one of our predecessors for shooting some of the wild-reverted caged Crundles, and releasing them by lever so they can be shot at by our militia.  The caged Trolls, however, need to be placed in a chamber with a sealed bridge- as they are building destroyers capable of smashing through doors to get at our fortress...

I also suggest digging an INTERIOR garbage disposal shaft in the long run, so we can safely throw things like cartilage and unbutcherable corpses into lava without exposing our dwarves to archer fire over the walls.  Digging it will be risky, however, as it will require piercing the side of the volcano (which could incinerate the miner, or flood the fortress with lava)- so you might want to view the Wiki for safe ways to do so...

In the meantime, the goblins continued patrolling our walls, looking for a way in, and Lokum the forgotten beast strangled a giant olm. A troll and a crossbowgoblin climbed our walls, but they were taken care of without any casualties. Limestone ended with the enemy still at the gates.

Don't forget there are MANY places to shoot at Goblins at- not just from above the main gate.

How did the Troll/Goblin get in though?  Did you see where they climbed the walls?  The Troll/Goblin that got in during my turn I thought were only able to get in because I had opened a hole in the floor above the gate during renovations (to add the guard-shack in the courtyard south of the NW tower- which you might have made the barracks, or left empty...)  It sounds like you had them climb clear over smooth brick walls, however, which technically shouldn't be possible- only rough/natural walls are supposed to be climbable... (smoothed or block-constructed walls are supposed to be unclimbable)

I guess we'll need to build the walls another z-layer or two higher once the siege is gone, to try and further deter climbers... (every level they have to climb increases the chance of falling- potentially to their deaths)  You might also consider pasturing some trained War Dogs around the courtyard area as "guard dogs" to deal with the occasional surviving climber... (this thought comes to mind after having been chased by several guard dogs while political canvassing today)

Finally, don't forget about digging out some underground farms somewhere in the soil layers of the upper fortress- our dwarves are getting hungry/thirsty! (Crundle eggs should provide plenty of food, if we can get the surviving Crundles back to laying eggs- and preferably hatch a new, tamer generation and finish domesticating them- and we also have a breeding population of peacocks/peahens, as well as milkable/butcherable pigs; but we need a reliable source of booze aside from herbalism on the underground pastures...)

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:09:31 pm by Northstar1989 »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2014, 05:45:24 pm »

From the memoirs of Melek, fifth chapter.
The goblins got bored or something, leaving during the early days of Opal. I remember wishing that they'd just write a travel guide that told other would-be invaders that there was poor accommodation and little to no slaughter opportunities in Pagetower to save us all some hassle. The gates were re-opened for any traders that decided to come in the middle of winter, i.e. none. In the meantime, Lokum killed a voracious cave crawler and a whole bunch of crundles.

This is the commemorative picture I took of the glorious second of Obsidian. It depicts the last dwarf corpse in the temporary dwarf corpse stockpile I had set up in the moments before it was laid to rest, signalling the end of our long and arduous mission to bury all of our dead. I declared the day a national holiday in celebration.

So yeah, not much is going on at the moment. I've got some farms up and running again, and the miner squad is training away happily. Next on the agenda is starting to get rid of all those goblin corpses, I guess.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2014, 06:32:39 pm »

Dwarves the fortress over celebrate and dance, in honor of the first of hopefully many to come No More Corpses Day

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 25, 2014, 03:22:00 pm »

From the memoirs of Melek, fifth chapter.
The nineteenth of Obsidian saw the creation of yet another goddamn table:

With winter's end, yet another vile force of darkness showed up on our borders. Perhaps they thought we were having a New Year's party, I don't know. The gates ground shut once again, whatever their motivations were. I knew that the great god Deler would send a sign that he favoured us still, and he did! On the twenty fifth of Granite, 260, a divinely inspired fire imp swam up the volcano and set some of the goblins on fire! The fire spread, engulfing several of the goblins and trolls, and none doubted the power of Deler, aside from the people who said that it was just a random fire imp.

After this sign from Deler, and with most of the fortress now clean of vomit and blood, I decided to turn the place over to the control of another in order to concentrate on doing whatever it is that a mayor is supposed to do.

Behold! Hardly any vomit or blood at all!

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 25, 2014, 03:39:41 pm »

On the twenty fifth of Granite, 260, a divinely inspired fire imp swam up the volcano and set some of the goblins on fire! The fire spread, engulfing several of the goblins and trolls, and none doubted the power of Deler, aside from the people who said that it was just a random fire imp.

Lol. That is hilarious. I don't think I have ever had anyone light an enemy siege on fire for me.

Btw, the bottom link is not working.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 25, 2014, 04:18:30 pm »

Are you sure? It works for me.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9787

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 25, 2014, 10:00:56 pm »

Give to the volcano, and the volcano shalt giveth back. An herald has been sent! All bless the imp!

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 01, 2014, 12:15:03 am »

I hate to do this, but the save file has been up for quite a while now, and nobody's announced downloading it yet...

Peregarrett, you have been skipped (you've had almost a week to get the save and haven't)

Meme, it's your turn.  You have 72 hours (yes, that's longer than the normal 48) to confirm download of the save or you will also be skipped, and play will proceed to Edmus.

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:18:17 am by Northstar1989 »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 04, 2014, 12:20:16 am »

Peregarrett, are you still interested in this game?  It's been a long time since anyone heard from you...

Meme, you have been skipped- you had 72 hours to confirm download of the save and did nothing.

Edmus, it's your turn.  You have 72 hours (once again, extra time- as you didn't know both Peregarrett and Meme would be skipped) to confirm download of the save, and up to 5 days to play from the time of this post.

Also, I'd like to add to the end of the turn list a little.  Who's up for a 2nd turn?  Askarn, Taupe, InfiniteCastor?  Would you like to finally take a full turn DoctorMcTaalik?  How do you feel about taking your turn now Shadow of Fate?

The fortress is reasonably stable, secure, and ready for improvement...  Directions for future growth might include: streamlining of the meat industry (currently our haulers/herders waste a lot of time moving animals and meat around...), upwards construction of the fortress for additional living space and enclosed pastures, and of course the construction of an Obsidian Farm...

Besides works of industry/growth, we could definitely use some additional training facilities for our military (such as a "gym" where they work useless Screw Pumps to build strength; or imprvovement of the live-training arena to be larger, able to safely hold uncaged Trolls, and not generate Miasma (a new arena built at the base of a covered light-shaft would help with this: the old arena could be converted into an additional Cistern or food stockpiles...)

Regards,
Northstar
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:30:46 am by Northstar1989 »

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 05, 2014, 06:56:33 pm »

How do you feel about taking your turn now Shadow of Fate?

Well, I got major deadlines early this week and on top of that I'm sick. I won't be up to playing anytime this week. Next week might be more doable. Or it might not. I have no idea. It just depends on how much work I get. I didn't think I would be this busy early October, too.

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2014, 12:59:11 am »

Well, I got major deadlines early this week and on top of that I'm sick. I won't be up to playing anytime this week. Next week might be more doable. Or it might not. I have no idea. It just depends on how much work I get. I didn't think I would be this busy early October, too.

No problem.  Real life comes first.  I understand it can get crazy/hectic.

Edmus, you've been skipped.

DoctorMcTaalik, how do you feel about finally taking a turn now?  Since we don't have anyone next up in the queue, you can basically take as long as you want with it until somebody else pops in and asks for a turn (in which case, you'll have 72 more hours or until the end of 5 days to finish your 2 years, whichever is longer).

Regards,
Northstar

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
Re: Dathateyo: 'The Ageless World' (0.40.12 Succession Gam
« Reply #238 on: October 09, 2014, 07:11:07 pm »

No problem.  Real life comes first.  I understand it can get crazy/hectic.

Edmus, you've been skipped.

DoctorMcTaalik, how do you feel about finally taking a turn now?  Since we don't have anyone next up in the queue, you can basically take as long as you want with it until somebody else pops in and asks for a turn (in which case, you'll have 72 more hours or until the end of 5 days to finish your 2 years, whichever is longer).

Regards,
Northstar

I should have some time over the next few days, so I'll play as much as I can. With Creepy McPriesty dead, I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the Roleplay aspect, but I'll figure it out.

Updates tomorrow, maybe.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:22:46 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 09, 2014, 07:17:55 pm »

Sure. I probably will be able to post tomorrow at the earliest.

Awesome man!  Take as long as you need- I haven't heard about anyone else who wants to go after you yet...

Regards,
Northstar

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24