?
- 0 (0%)
!
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: September 21, 2014, 09:36:21 pm

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: The Natural History Museum "Adventurer succession world"  (Read 13643 times)

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
Re: The Natural History Museum "Adventurer succession world"
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2014, 03:49:49 pm »

Are all of your Specimens in your backpack? I imagine another adventurer could pick them up if that's the case.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Plancky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2014, 03:59:24 pm »

Yep. I plan on sending a one dwarf search party.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2014, 04:07:59 pm »

It is like that on the site.  Off site, its much better.  And like I said, for whatever reason it was the best Ive had in this world @ the fort I built.

Which is odd because I was able to adventure around the museum without any particular trouble. We could do a 'raw genocide' on unicorns + rhesus macaque. They could be causing most of the lag.

[EDIT] Vaporizing the unicorns and rhesus macaque didn't do anything useful.

I'm going to see if the FPS is still bad in fortress mode.

[EDIT] Yeah, it seems to be an adventure mode problem. Taperedceilings is running pretty well in fortress mode.
pisskop, I guess you don't have any earlier saves? It's pretty brutal but at this point I think abandoning the current natural history museum location or abandoning your progress might be the only way to fix this.

I could move the collected items right to the edge of the fortress then an adventurer could fast travel right up to the outside of the fortress. He'd only have to move a couple of steps to get inside and pick up everything. Then he could take them all away to your fortress before someone (planky?) has the job of making a new natural museum site somewhere that doesn't have massive FPS problems.

Or, we could roll-back to before pisskop's turn. :(

Unless anybody else has any ideas? We could post in another forum asking for an FPS recovery expert.

[EDIT] I went ahead and did that.

[EDIT] On second thoughts, I think I overreacted a bit.  As long as the fortress mode FPS isn't too bad the adventurer can drop items right at the edge of the fortress map.  A suitable easy to find spot should be prepared for each fortress wing.

Most of the Museum buildings are built within five squares of an edge anyway, so dropping specimens off shouldn't prove too difficult.  What may be a good idea, however, is to pave a road completely around each embark so that there's a distinct line where adventures not in quick-travel mode know the site begins.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2014, 04:09:25 pm »

Do what you do.  That fort is less than 6 months of work.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2014, 04:15:17 pm »

Do what you do:

Some friars were behind on their belfry payments, so
they opened up a small florist shop to raise the funds.

Since everyone liked to buy flowers from the men of
God, the rival florist across town thought the competition
was unfair. He asked the good fathers to close down, but
they would not. He went back and begged the friars to close.
They ignored him. He asked his mother to go and ask the
friars to get out of business. They ignored her, too.

So, the rival florist hired Hugh MacTaggart, the roughest
and most vicious thug in town, to "persuade" them to close.
Hugh beat up the friars and trashed their store, saying he'd
be back if they didn't close shop. Terrified, the friars did so.

The moral of this story:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good journal entrees, Planky! I like that you mention the weather and what you eat as well as a line or two about the various things seen each day.  Very nicely done.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:48:22 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2014, 08:42:56 pm »

Most of the Museum buildings are built within five squares of an edge anyway, so dropping specimens off shouldn't prove too difficult.

Lol, you missed a vital point.  The museum buildings (with one exception) are next to the inside corner. So you have to walk all the way across the fortress area to get to them. :P

What is needed is a small drop-off point on the outside corner. I suggest using two raised bridges as they can be built near the real edge.

|_
()==[:::::::::::::>

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2014, 02:15:56 am »

Most of the Museum buildings are built within five squares of an edge anyway, so dropping specimens off shouldn't prove too difficult.

Lol, you missed a vital point.  The museum buildings (with one exception) are next to the inside corner. So you have to walk all the way across the fortress area to get to them. :P

What is needed is a small drop-off point on the outside corner. I suggest using two raised bridges as they can be built near the real edge.

|_

Ah. indeed indeed.  A paved road or floor tiles can also be built right up next to the edge, so either one can become a drop-off point or space marker as well.  However, a bridge would work too - attach it to a lever over a pit and the adventurer could deposit the specimens in a "locking cellar" as well.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2014, 04:03:48 am »

I have been experimenting with retiring / unretiring fortresses and had another crash.

I don't have any firm conclusions, but you should probably not retire adventurers in player fortresses it may also be a bad idea to retire or unretire fortresses while NPCs are visiting (merchants, liaisons, etc.). I'm not sure how you'll be able to test for that. I recommend keeping regular back-up saves in case of crashes, and if you want to be particularly cautious, do a test run for one or two game months of the fortress after you retire your adventurer. Retiring to locations near to a player fortress may also be problematic. :(
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:26:31 am by ptb_ptb »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2014, 05:51:14 pm »

Wow.  If it gets so buggy that we start seeing regular game crashes I might have to mothall this game until those bugs get fixed.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2014, 11:05:15 pm »

Wow.  If it gets so buggy that we start seeing regular game crashes I might have to mothball this game until those bugs get fixed.

I think it's the same bug I saw before, just another, slightly different, way it can be triggered.  In this case I didn't retire the adventurer _at_ the fortress, but I did retire the adventurer _very near_ the fortress. I think he wandered over. I'd hate to see this thread put on hold and I don't think it's that bad, really. I'm just being cautious.

Plancky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2014, 04:05:11 pm »

Fps in adventure mode at the forts is interesting, one to two minutes to move a tile May partially do to my adventurer being really wieghted down(speed walking 0.099). Being weighed down is definetly part of why it takes so long to move. Paving the edges is definately a good idea.

Dropped off the following corpses at Taperedceiling:

Dropped of the following gems at Planesfortress:

Dropped the following at Castlebuds:
leaves:
Flowers:
Seeds:
catkins:
fruit:
Was thinking of dropping off Tulon's corspe at a wing but because of adventurer burial bug decided probably not wise.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6301

Plancky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2014, 04:10:27 pm »

The  journal of Urist Usid (covered in bloody wolf prints)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2014, 04:31:03 pm »

Wow, plancky, you've been busy! Congratulations.

Now have fun museum building, or whatever. :)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2014, 08:54:58 pm »

OK, so we'll need to have both a male and a female of each creature, so be sure to check whether we have the correct gender already.  (Hive creatures like bees and ants have three genders, I believe - Queen, Worker and Drone.)  We may need to create a "slain naturalist's memorial" where they're memorialized with statues or something - in the mean time, we'll need to have a place set up specifically to keep their remains.  Perhaps their bodies will be useful to !Science! some day.

I wonder if the adventure burial bug could be gotten around by just interring the remains into display cases instead?

Well done, Planky!  Your efforts will surely benefit the study of naturism here on Urth for years to come!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2014, 08:57:20 pm »

I wonder if the adventure burial bug could be gotten around by just interring the remains into display cases instead?

Probably. Just have a bunch of slabs carved up in a tunnel somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10