Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 447074 times)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #420 on: March 22, 2015, 03:01:59 pm »

Bridges frozen in ice are not jammed.

Wat. So you can raise and lower a bridge encased in solid ice? Does it not atom smash the ice? Next step is to see if it a still atom smashes creatures encased in the ice in front of it or on top of it.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 22, 2015, 07:14:24 pm »

Bridges frozen in ice are not jammed.

Wat. So you can raise and lower a bridge encased in solid ice? Does it not atom smash the ice? Next step is to see if it a still atom smashes creatures encased in the ice in front of it or on top of it.
No, it works the same way as when it was in the water. Ice can't be smashed, so the bridge just passes through.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 23, 2015, 04:02:37 am »

Atom smashing applies to items, and also fluids.  Ice boulders, or any level of water can be smashed, but an ice wall tile is completely different, in the same way that a puddle of booze left on the ground if you forbid the booze and dump the barrel is not the same thing as 1/7 Booze, or any other fluid.  Solid natural wall tiles are handled completely differently, and are not included in the code that allows atomsmashing. 

A number of buildings are not affected by having their air replaced with solid tiles.  Pressure plates that have magma obsidianize on them (or presumably water freeze) continue working and appropriately detect the removal of liquid magma (or water) from the plate.  I seem to recall itg in his sky fort (fort nailed to the "ceiling" of the world, with accompanying bugs) circumvented connectivity issues (the same ones that gave rise to dwarven power mining, which has been fixed) by casting his workshops in obsidian, with no loss of functionality.

Basically, while you can not designate buildings over solid tiles, the later creation of solid tiles on top of the building does not appear to interfere with building functionality.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:53 am »

Happens in pre-generated forts.

This.

And this.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:13:14 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 28, 2015, 07:29:59 pm »

Dwarves use available coffins in the order said coffins were built.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 28, 2015, 09:58:18 pm »

Also it is possible to have some mossy tile above ground after reclaiming a fort.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 30, 2015, 03:12:39 pm »

Also it is possible to have some mossy tile above ground after reclaiming a fort.

yea, it even grows in fort mode. None of us have had a fort that long, so we never noticed.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:50:20 am by SimRobert2001 »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 31, 2015, 03:24:11 am »

Dorfs really love loincloth.
I wonder why they pick up foreign XX(loincloth)XX even if they have their own pants...
Maybe the cleanowned command didn't do a good job confiscating foreign items?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 31, 2015, 07:29:18 am »

I usually autodump destroy all loincloths right after a siege.

BraveHero400

• Bay Watcher
  • BraveHero cancels fight (running away)
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 01, 2015, 02:21:23 am »

I was preparing my prison level, and I made a chain into a room, but missed the 'use for justice' option.
Few moments later:

"Urist McDwarf has organized a party at iron chain"

....what? I zoomed in and fixed the problem, then all the dwarfs went  :( and went back to the meeting hall.

So, the finding: Dwarfs will party at roomed chains, and you can crash said party by making it a justice room.
"Heroes are people who rise to the occasion, then slip quietly away" ~ Tom Brokaw
It is kind of hard to believe that this all happened in a game.
Game? THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!!! *kicks some annoying emissary down the well*

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 01, 2015, 02:30:14 am »

Also cages. Maybe they work the same way?

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:15 am »

Dorfs really love loincloth.
I wonder why they pick up foreign XX(loincloth)XX even if they have their own pants...
Maybe the cleanowned command didn't do a good job confiscating foreign items?

They'll take a loincloth as it is an under layer for the lower body, while pants are over layer. Both pants and loincloth can be worn at the same time so dwarves will take the loincloth to fill the missing slot. Extra protection against gelding blows.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 03, 2015, 07:19:40 am »

The [HUNTS_VERMIN] tag does not play nicely with the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag. It ends up with your people randomly going No Job when there's work to be done, even to the exclusion of eating or drinking til it clears. They'll even walk all over the food stockpile without eating, even if they're starving. I never lost anyone to it, but when you intentionally keep your population below twenty (I experiment with natural growth forts), you cannot afford to have six or seven people going hungry and loafing around.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 05, 2015, 10:39:52 pm »

Cultures that greatly value martial prowess will result in far, far more people wanting to be soldiers, and a civilization whose residents respond much less drastically to seeing sapients die, (normally I'd have people freaking out in horror over a pile of dead elves and humans, but a current modded dwarf civ hasn't had the problem with only the martial prowess value being changed,) if a current fort I'm playing is anything to go by.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 06, 2015, 08:17:29 am »

Before mayor is elected, there's a period the fort has no leader at all.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 148