Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183974 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 09, 2015, 11:49:29 pm »

Aye. If you can nab a focus on battlefield control (of the kind that doesn't completely shut down encounters, but makes them easier) and buffs, you're actually in a very good place for optimizing friendly-like. Conjuration is a good school for the former, IIRC, and as long as you didn't ban Transmutation you should be good on the latter. Set your buddies up to be more badass than their character sheets would suggest, and things will go well.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 09, 2015, 11:49:59 pm »

You know what's fun?

Trying to trip a chain demon with a chain.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 10, 2015, 06:50:59 am »

At level 2 my spell selection is Mage Armor (for the Monk, not me), Enlarge Person (for the Cleric), Silent Image (for the Rogue, "I conjure a swirling field of black smoke that completely obscures vision" to give him attacks vs. blind enemies for sneak attack) and Color Spray to soften them up a bit before they get their drubbing.

The part I find disappointing is that my familiar has about as many hit points as the Monk and nobody's moving tactically in battle to get the best advantage of their position. They're quite happy to just spend their standard on an attack and leave it at that. I'll see how things go next session, maybe they just had a bad night.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 10, 2015, 07:56:26 am »

I had a homebrew pathfinder campaign recently wherein Ogres are surprisingly reasonable and honorable.

So basically I was an Urog (Ogre/Orc) fighter named Berrick, rah rah hated by the town 'cos I was a rapebaby or something.
Ergo Berrick the Bastard
Ends up coming to 'coming of age' thingo, which is an elimination series of arena fights.

Queue me realizing I'm a half-ogre about to be going toe-to-toe with a bunch of full-ogres, and proceeding to be the most conniving, underhanded, sneaky ass douche.
I got about 80% of the 'takedowns' when I snuck up behind people and whonked them with my sword.
Artek, the "biggest one"- my chief rival, I managed to take out by stealth in 6 of the 8 rounds, with two of those being me climbing up onto arena architecture and waiting for his dumb ass to walk underneath.
This being said, only at about round 4 did we realize that I wasn't applying the Strengthx1.5 for Two-handed weapons, which unfortunately sent my damage from "One-to-two-Hit KO" to "One-Hit KO-to-Kill" and so proceeds me severely wounding two different ogres (including big bad), cutting the throat out of another and bisecting a fourth.
So then I was Berrick the Butcher.

The thing finally ended with them filling the arena up with water for a 1v1 vs my 'nemesis', which removed most of the stealth. Everything which was terrain I could've hidden behind was now the ground beneath my feet.
So naturally I just swam underwater all the way over to the other side of the arena (Urog gets +4 constitution), and then proceeded to pop up behind him, disarm him, drown him half to death and then knock him unconscious with the haft of the axe.

At which point I've gotta make the choice of letting him drown or saving his ungrateful ass.
It was a very difficult choice. Even after saving him ('cos the campaign was gonna apparently be 'mostly good'), I was still like 'Can I just behead him?'.

So now I'm Berrick the Benevolent, and I hate it.
Doesn't make sense for me to be universally hated growing up, use nothing but underhanded and douchey tactics to win, and then be like 'Surprise! I'm all compassionate!'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 10, 2015, 10:10:54 am »

Congrats, you made an Ogre shonen protagonist.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 10, 2015, 11:39:10 am »

If I had been informed at the time that rather than make a distinction between "Good" and "Evil", I was deciding between Shonen and Seinen, he wouldn't have been able to speak over my constant shouting of KILLHIMKILLHIMKILLHIMKILLHIMKILLHIMCOCAINECOCAINECOCAINE
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 11, 2015, 01:42:43 pm »

I had a homebrew pathfinder campaign recently wherein Ogres are surprisingly reasonable and honorable.

So basically I was an Urog (Ogre/Orc) fighter named Berrick, rah rah hated by the town 'cos I was a rapebaby or something.
Ergo Berrick the Bastard
Ends up coming to 'coming of age' thingo, which is an elimination series of arena fights.

Queue me realizing I'm a half-ogre about to be going toe-to-toe with a bunch of full-ogres, and proceeding to be the most conniving, underhanded, sneaky ass douche.
I got about 80% of the 'takedowns' when I snuck up behind people and whonked them with my sword.
Artek, the "biggest one"- my chief rival, I managed to take out by stealth in 6 of the 8 rounds, with two of those being me climbing up onto arena architecture and waiting for his dumb ass to walk underneath.
This being said, only at about round 4 did we realize that I wasn't applying the Strengthx1.5 for Two-handed weapons, which unfortunately sent my damage from "One-to-two-Hit KO" to "One-Hit KO-to-Kill" and so proceeds me severely wounding two different ogres (including big bad), cutting the throat out of another and bisecting a fourth.
So then I was Berrick the Butcher.

The thing finally ended with them filling the arena up with water for a 1v1 vs my 'nemesis', which removed most of the stealth. Everything which was terrain I could've hidden behind was now the ground beneath my feet.
So naturally I just swam underwater all the way over to the other side of the arena (Urog gets +4 constitution), and then proceeded to pop up behind him, disarm him, drown him half to death and then knock him unconscious with the haft of the axe.

At which point I've gotta make the choice of letting him drown or saving his ungrateful ass.
It was a very difficult choice. Even after saving him ('cos the campaign was gonna apparently be 'mostly good'), I was still like 'Can I just behead him?'.

So now I'm Berrick the Benevolent, and I hate it.
Doesn't make sense for me to be universally hated growing up, use nothing but underhanded and douchey tactics to win, and then be like 'Surprise! I'm all compassionate!'.
I think we all know who is a real man now. :)
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 11, 2015, 02:01:28 pm »

Placed a birthday order for myself of Dead of Winter and Sheriff of Nottingham. Light and heavy, together. I love getting board games in the mail!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 11, 2015, 03:43:13 pm »

Apparently they're making an XCOM board game.

I haven't played a board game in years. The 'tabletop' games I play are over the internet.

But I'd play an xcom board game.. if I had three other people to play it with.
Apparently there's an app that runs the alien invasion, basically, and the four players respond to the invasion strategy the app chooses.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 14, 2015, 02:06:36 am »

I don't know how many people keep up with this thread or are likely to watch it, but here is a video in which two DMs (one of whom is the creator of Dungeon World) talk about dungeon mastering.

This is the first part of the first installment of the series, in which they talk all about randomness, such as random rolls, random encounters, games that don't use randomness, critical hit tables, and embracing randomness. It's a very good discussion, and if you don't have time to watch it now, I encourage you to bookmark it for later.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 14, 2015, 11:03:39 am »

So I just learned about the Hand of Vecna, and it gave me inspiration for an interesting character concept.

Basically it boils down to a paladin with the hand. In my specific idea, said paladin is a farmboy who lost his hand in an accident, and then his parents made a deal with a devil or somesuch and bloop, kid gets the hand, parents dead (possibly could come back as something...unappealing later on) and the paladins take him in and start training him so that he doesn't fall to its influence.

He would join the party as a kid, and thus not a full paladin, and would come with some mentor/guardian paladin guy to watch over him (who could be killed at a nice dramatic point)
I imagine him as a "kinda dumb but strong willed" type character, and like to think that when the hand acts up he threatens to make it give out charity or something :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:06:00 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 14, 2015, 01:02:19 pm »

Played Sheriff of Nottingham yesterday. It's a great game, but I'm a terrible liar.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 14, 2015, 01:22:24 pm »

I imagine him as a "kinda dumb but strong willed" type character, and like to think that when the hand acts up he threatens to make it give out charity or something :P
Yeah, I've currently got Berrick the Bloodthirsty with his Grandfather in his axe.
Grandfather's all like 'If you disgrace my line, I'll kill you'.
Berrick's like 'You let me die, you won't Have a line'.

Shuts him up right quick.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 14, 2015, 02:09:59 pm »

I don't know how many people keep up with this thread or are likely to watch it, but here is a video in which two DMs (one of whom is the creator of Dungeon World) talk about dungeon mastering.

This is the first part of the first installment of the series, in which they talk all about randomness, such as random rolls, random encounters, games that don't use randomness, critical hit tables, and embracing randomness. It's a very good discussion, and if you don't have time to watch it now, I encourage you to bookmark it for later.
And the second part came out. (Looks like it was only about two hours after the first, but I was asleep at the time).

This part gets a lot more into embracing chaos and using it in your games. They talk about things like building a world in play from either a top-down or bottom-up perspective, using random results to enhance your game, challenging players in different ways, and suchlike.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:13:14 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 14, 2015, 03:13:12 pm »

That's excellent stuff, Kadzar. Thanks for that!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 131