Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 43

Author Topic: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)  (Read 120676 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Year 1 almost done. :)
« Reply #270 on: December 25, 2014, 05:34:11 pm »

☼Winter of Year 2☼ - Warlocks

Good progress. Good indeed. I'm happy. No need to throw tables and workshops around, when people actually listen to me. Lots of greaves were made. Not a single greave was sold. And I get to kill lots of animals... 13 at this point, my lucky number. And the other Warlocks like me for it, because they do need to meat, bones and skins. And the souls...

We managed to raise 2 Skeletons and 13 zombies by now. And Zippo, who is still at the bottom of the river, he doesnt count. Our weapons might still be made of bone, but for animals its enough. I myself will go boar hunting today, an entire herd has been spotted on the hill. For thieves and kidnappers we set up cage traps at the area. But a proper attack... that would force us to close the gates and keep everyone inside.

"HOW WEALTHY ARE WE, KEEPER OF SECRETS?"
"If I tell you, how can I can secrets, he?"
"... Smart Arse..."

Spoiler: Our wealth (click to show/hide)

"AT LEAST TELL ME HOW OUR WARLOCKS ARE DOING!"
"... why is he yelling so much..."
"Very well, my pleasure."

Spoiler: Our citizens (click to show/hide)

"OK! I'M GOING BACK TO ORDERING MY MINIONS AROUND" #totalworlddomination

The Warlocks of ChainedEntrails are doing fine. We started to make the fortress more secure, even if we still have no military. The Overlord himself often runs out and slaughters all the wildlife with his axe. With 250% speed its very easy for him to catch animals. At this very moment he sleeps, but after he wakes, the ~10 or so boars are as good as dead.

One zombie is possessed by some form of evil spirit, and he kicked a Warlock out of the Craftsmans Shop. He collected some stone and cloth, but is waiting for fresh bones. Gems I should still have for him. Even if he goes mad, it wouldnt be a big loss.

There is a shortage of materials, we dont have enough yet to start any spells. No scalps to write books on. Not much in terms of metals, gems or plants to grind into dust for experiments. Not that many souls either, we stockpiled about 20. And because we butcher and use up all the killed wildlife, we have zero undead wildlife running around that could defend us in case of attacks. We have to work on that.

On the other hand we got a lot of food, wells in the fort, 2 bridges that can be raised, lots of cagetraps, Warlocks are happy, and we got most basic workshops down. 4 Ethereal Gates are pumping out blocks non-stop, to allow rapid expansion of our river fort.

Spoiler: FORT TOUR (click to show/hide)

Save of Warlocks Year 2: Download

NOTES FOR FUTURE OVERSEER: Its suicide to fight inside the fort, everyone would dodge into the river and die. You cant replace Warlocks at all, so everyone that dies is gone forever.

The Overlord has the order to kill all boars on the map. Just let him, he wont get a scratch. He also has no labors allowed, because he runs the Throneroom, giving out commands. The Throneroom uses workshop profiles to only allow the Overlord to do jobs.

One zombie with mood needs bones, you should get some boar bones soon.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Year 1 almost done. :)
« Reply #271 on: December 25, 2014, 06:28:36 pm »

As I am managing this minor crisis, I get word that the Succubi have suffered some trouble of their own.  A quick headcount confirms we still have all of our animals, and I'm pretty sure I would remember purchasing a Basilisk.  I suspect that their new stash of shinies may have distracted them on the way out ;D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a bug from the base game.  If a slaver civilization's traders leave the map with any of their animals, it reports that they were kidnapped.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Year 1 finished by all races
« Reply #272 on: December 25, 2014, 06:32:55 pm »

☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - 1 Year Comparison

Since the settlement of the Testy Jungles, one year has passed. Eight different races from the 8 corners of the world have come to this place to claim it in the name of their civilization. Here are their results.

☼Dwarves☼
The dwarves have done well for themselves. Surprisingly they dug out much of the soil of the hill and live in a relatively horizontal fortress. Not many z-levels are used, and they are closer to the surface than most people would assume. They have indoor and outdoor farms, lots of pets and a highly efficient minecart-track system for their stockpiles. A small courtyard is walled off, giving access to their fort and trade depot. There is even a small metalworking area, which is huge for the first year.

The wealth of the fort is rather low, a good tactic to avoid early attacks. Yet, 1 dwarf died of unkown causes, while the rest remained very pacifistic, killing only 3 animals.

Spoiler: Dwarves (click to show/hide)

☼Kobolds☼
The kobold tribe has settled on the surface near the river, leaving access to fresh water and fish. They seem to mostly rely on their massive amount of pets and the butchery products from animal farming. They have a similar courtyard area, compared to the dwarven one its a little bit larger. It does lack a way to be secured though, and the trade depot stands outside. Living arrangements are not shown on the sketch, but all kobolds have their own little room in the first soil level, presumably dug with shovels.

The kobold tribe managed to stockpile more food than any other race by far, more than 3 times the food that the next highest race has.

Spoiler: Kobolds (click to show/hide)

☼Gnomes☼
The gnomish expedition was beset by bad luck. Overestimating their size and combat prowess, they suffered the heaviest losses of all races.

Only six Gnomes are currently alive, but safe. Their laboratory stretches across 2 z-levels, in its design it is similar to the dwarven fortress. Farms, rooms for each gnome, long straight corridors in the soil level. No courtyard though, because of the lack of workforce. Considering how few Gnomes there are, the food stocks of 240 units will last a long time. Not much in form of gnomish tech has been assembled yet, mostly because they were busy fighting for their lives, burying their dead, and agreeing to disagree on the decisions of their leader, Noodles. Now dead and buried.

Spoiler: Gnomes (click to show/hide)

☼Orcs☼
The wild folk of the Orcs has been fighting. A lot. They are leading with the most wild-life kills, 31 helpless animals have been slaughtered by their hunters. They are also the wealthiest race, with almost 100k urist in the first year.

A few fighters might be injured, but the camp lost not a single Orc. This is good, because the high wealth of this orcish encampement will soon be noticed by rivals, coming for pillage and plunder. One can only assume that this is exactly what the Orcs want. The camp itself uses a strange fusion of kobold and dwarf fort. They have an outer wall streched till the river, giving access for a raiding dock, fishing and wells, while at the same time digging deep into the hill for their fortified sleeping arrangements, dining/mead hall and ore stocks. For barbarians, these orcs are curiously orderly, using massive stockpiles for all kinds of things.

Spoiler: Orcs (click to show/hide)

☼Humans☼
The human town has the happiest inhabitants of all forts.

A wooden fort has been build, housing all citizens in one large communal dormitory, with only one additional building for a noble. Otherwise all workshops and the first guild, the carpenters, are outside. Surrounded by a wooden wall to keep of attackers. The area looks perfectly peaceful, with many farms and domestic animals. Five merchants have set up shop, ready to supply the growing town with resources. In exchange for gold of course. Not surprisingly the humans keep to the surface, since they are slightly claustrophobic, but one can only wonder if the view from the hill might not one day spell their doom. Lots of open space for arrows to rain down from.

Spoiler: Humans (click to show/hide)

☼Warlocks☼
The Warlocks of the teal murder used a rather peculiar technique to establish their dark tower. Butchering their prisoners, they build an ethereal gate to summon free building materials. Weightless and with no value, but unlimited in supply. These blocks allowed them to build a floating fortress directly over the massive river. Separated by a lockable bridge, they live and study in relative safety, except that any attempt at dodging will lead to an early and wet grave.

Due to every floor, wall and roof being build by hand, they hold the currently smallest fort.

A trade depot has been build in the center of it, which is another peculiar thing, as Warlocks dont trade with anyone. Slightly cut off from the mainland, it will be a challenge for the Warlocks to get the raw amount of resources that a succesful Warlock tower requires.

Spoiler: Warlocks (click to show/hide)

☼Succubi☼
The demonic dungeon of the Succubi is build deep into the hill. Its by far the most vertically aligned fort, and the sketches shown only show the surface. Many more z-levels are used below, each one for a different industry.

Curiously enough, the Succubi are the most succesful traders so far.

The entry is heavily secured by traps, war beasts and a bridge. A thin tunnel leads invaders to the roof of the cave, designed as a killing floor with a waiting Succubus squad. Unfortunately, they dont have any military or metal at this moment, so the trade depot on the square is rather defenseless. Only some copper has been made in the metalworks below, for which Succubi use their own bodyheat as fuel, allowing for cheaper production. They had a lot of luck digging up old fossils and relics, but wasted much of their time smoothing their rooms, spending thought and work on interior design, not on hard labor that brings the dungeon onwards.

Spoiler: Succubi (click to show/hide)

☼Hermit☼
No man is an island. Except this glorious bastard of a hermit. Living alone in the wildnerness, the Hermit has converted four levels of the cave into a nice and comfortable looking home. Smoothed walls and floors, an exotic parrot in a cage, self-made furniture, everything one might need.

The discovery of a legendary deep bronze sword, restored from the same relics the succubi so succesfully traded away, helps him secure his position; as do his many cage traps. Who knows? Maybe he will outlive all those glorious civilizations that embarked to create massive settlements. He just wants to live his life, untroubled by the world.

Spoiler: The Hermit (click to show/hide)

Save with all races in year one: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10325
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 25, 2014, 06:40:44 pm »

As former Overseer and still current Clan Leader, I resent the accusation of 'helpless animals'.  Every single one of those little blighters was a dangerous menace, costing me time and blood (scaring away the workers and beating the crap out of our militia + 1 wolf, respectively.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #274 on: December 25, 2014, 06:43:29 pm »

As former Overseer and still current Clan Leader, I resent the accusation of 'helpless animals'.  Every single one of those little blighters was a dangerous menace, costing me time and blood (scaring away the workers and beating the crap out of our militia + 1 wolf, respectively.)

With year 1 done, and year 2 fully set with players, people can now ask for year 3 and 4. :) If you want to play a round (or another round), now is your time. Just let me know which race/year you want.  :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:51:47 pm by Meph »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 25, 2014, 08:06:44 pm »

I'll start on Year 2 either today or tomorrow (depending on how cleaning up my room and installing the new bed/bookcases goes).

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 25, 2014, 09:12:50 pm »

I'd like to have another turn next week. Not sure which though. While I like the hermit, I've already played a year as the hermit and I feel like maybe I should be playing multiple different ones? Either way it's not worth making a reservation for me yet though.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 25, 2014, 10:20:38 pm »

Can I go on the list for the Warlocks or Succubi? They seem amusing.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 25, 2014, 10:42:16 pm »

The human life seems a little boring. They spent 3 years in building towers and not finished yet! ???

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 25, 2014, 10:56:23 pm »

You're a human, are you not. How many towers have YOU completed so far in your life?

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 25, 2014, 11:28:54 pm »

You're a human, are you not. How many towers have YOU completed so far in your life?
None. So it's boring too.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 26, 2014, 12:16:02 am »

Whaaaaat! I just discovered I am lined up to play year 2 for dwarves!

I suppose I should probably see how it goes. Sorry if I make a mess of it, as I have never used Mastework before.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 12:44:10 am by Pencil_Art »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 26, 2014, 01:03:27 am »

How do you transport saves to masterwork? I keep getting a message saying: Winrar can add only files to RAR or ZIP files. :(

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 26, 2014, 02:21:46 am »

i wonder if the warlock tower will... cause FUN later on.
actually... i think its south "bridgewalls" prevent it now. :D (maybe)

for the one who has screenshot problems, maybe try out "bandicam"? no idea if it will work though, but i think you can tell it to capture a window/program and screenshot it with a hotkey.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #284 on: December 26, 2014, 04:49:21 am »

How do you transport saves to masterwork? I keep getting a message saying: Winrar can add only files to RAR or ZIP files. :(
Download http://www.7-zip.org/, then download Masterwork, and add the save to data/saves, just like any other succession fort.

i wonder if the warlock tower will... cause FUN later on.
actually... i think its south "bridgewalls" prevent it now. :D (maybe)
Warlock tower is secure, but could be easily self-destructed by deconstructing 2 walls.

The human life seems a little boring. They spent 3 years in building towers and not finished yet! ???
Depends on the player. And on how much gold they have. Most items from merchants, most high-end stuff and all guilds operate on gold.

Can I go on the list for the Warlocks or Succubi? They seem amusing.
Added you for year3 of the Warlocks.

I'd like to have another turn next week. Not sure which though. While I like the hermit, I've already played a year as the hermit and I feel like maybe I should be playing multiple different ones? Either way it's not worth making a reservation for me yet though.
Just let me know when you decided. :)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 43