Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441036 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe/Rampaging Koala
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2015, 02:05:57 am »

The problem IMO with mining is that not all that much happens at the moment. Some things happen. Sometimes you can dig your way into nifty hidden things, and this is fun.

I think the problem is the ratio between mining and exploring is too high, i.e. there is too much mining and not enough to find. It could be improved if they lowered the ammount of mining necessary (lower resource requirement, more ores) and/or increased the ammount of interesting things that could happen while mining to break up the tedium. I prefer the latter, as it would add more content and make exploration more fun.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2015, 02:09:10 am »

Holy fuck stop with the labs and apex villages.
Take me to a USCM penal colony for that lady's quest.

I've literally only ever seen a single penal colony, and that was back in December 2013 as my second character ever.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2015, 02:19:57 am »

Huh, I spent a good deal of yesterday dying while trying to loot one.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2015, 11:38:38 am »

They are adding a building aspect. The way Chucklefish planned starbound is that it's going to have three paths - Adventurer, Builder, and Farmer. Adventurer is basically what the game is now, builder will most likely be Terraria-style but with rent, and farming is really just selling your crops to someone on the outpost.

I do wish there was a mining alternative, though.

My theory is that they are going to eliminate some of that aspect. Especially the farmer aspect as cooking has a much smaller prominence.

Yeah I think putting ANY stock in things they've said in the past is a mistake. They keep moving so many goal posts that the game will be nothing like the promises, likely due to lack of a design document for years.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2015, 11:43:53 am »

I'm not sure it's moving the goalposts exactly ("this could be v1.0" is goalpost moving, to me), but it definitely feels like they weren't solid enough on their design when they were doing the Kickstarter. Game designers should be willing to kill their babies and reimagine their games into more workable, more exciting forms. Just...not after they raise a bunch of money for a very public version.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2015, 11:48:12 am »

Now I want to see a "Intergalactic Postman" path...
... Space Bastards mode?

Though re: the mining, isn't it still fairly trivial to mod in a hyperspeed mining implement/tweak the matter manipulator? And probably jack up the ore ratios. If you don't want to putz around nibbling on dirt, you can turn yourself into a substrata vacuum pretty easily, iirc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2015, 12:03:28 pm »

I'm holding onto the hope that mods will be able to fix it all, since we can hardly trust Chucklefish to do so. It's true, we can surely tweak mining without too much trouble. I wonder if it will be possible to change the planet generation somehow, so we can actually explore again rather than visiting infinite carbon copies of the same planet.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2015, 12:38:18 pm »

I'm not sure what y'all are talking about about mining being tedious.
I've found it significantly easier to get the ores I need now that everything costs a lot less and personally, although I don't see any surface ores, they seem a lot more plentiful underground.
My tumblr.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2015, 01:44:50 pm »

Mining drones and setting up mining bases/outposts/whatever that said mining drones can dump their haul at would be pretty fucking hype.

Pickaxes are pretty silly in the space setting, drills would be a good replacement, I think.

And of course, there's the old 'put a mining laser on your ship, park around an asteroid and blast the crap out of it' thing.  Maybe instead of planetary outposts.  Maybe a teleporter to have drones take their haul to your ship's stocks instead of just a planetary outpost's ore silos or whatever?

Maybe find abandoned mining drone outposts as you explore, and you can loot and fix up the old drones and equipment from those, instead of having to pay an arm and three legs for new ones...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:46:43 pm by Farce »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2015, 03:04:24 pm »

I'm holding onto the hope that mods will be able to fix it all, since we can hardly trust Chucklefish to do so. It's true, we can surely tweak mining without too much trouble. I wonder if it will be possible to change the planet generation somehow, so we can actually explore again rather than visiting infinite carbon copies of the same planet.
I dunnno what you're talking about with the carbon-copy planets thing. They seem about as diverse as ever for me so far, with a few new types as well.

I've found it significantly easier to get the ores I need now that everything costs a lot less and personally, although I don't see any surface ores, they seem a lot more plentiful underground.
What kind of planets are you looking on? I've been barely finding any. Well, except for oil and starship fuel.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2015, 03:40:06 pm »

I dunnno what you're talking about with the carbon-copy planets thing. They seem about as diverse as ever for me so far, with a few new types as well.

Really? Every planet I've visited so far has been identical. Granted, I'm still in the first system (because it's a massive pain to get past that at the moment), but I have only seen forest planets with all identical plant life and near-identical animals, and a few desert planets which are also identical in terms of resources, etc. Someone said that planet types are bound to specific systems now, which just sounds dumb to me. There's no reason that two planets in the same system would be any more alike than Earth and Saturn, and it doesn't even make the game any better.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2015, 03:41:47 pm »

What kind of planets are you looking on? I've been barely finding any. Well, except for oil and starship fuel.
I found them in huge clusters on my starter world and on the alien world I looked for uranium on and in the frigid ocean I stocked up on aegisalt/violium/rubidium and on the volcanic world I stocked up on solarium on.
My tumblr.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2015, 12:07:01 am »

Hey, Hugo, what was the planet type that you found the prison on? I've searched like ten forest and desert worlds, as well as a few ice and volcanic.
My tumblr.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2015, 01:31:54 am »

near-identical animals

Ohh that is just how the generation system works.

Two kinds of animals, 2 kinds of birds, 2 kinds of fish.

Those are all the creatures in the game outside bosses, robots, and dungeon specific enemies.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2015, 01:53:35 am »

I think they're referring to the rather limited selection of animal parts. There's like two variables in animal body shape that ultimately leads to there being like only 100 or so unique variations each of small quadruped, small biped, large quadruped, large biped, birb, big-ass bird, fish, and hell-coelocanth.
My tumblr.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 130