Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441118 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe - WE STABLE NOW
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2015, 11:16:11 pm »

uhuhuehu

Really though I've been looking forward to this, let's see where it's gone. :P

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:45 pm »

Do we have a Bay12 server up again?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe/Rampaging Koala
« Reply #317 on: January 29, 2015, 04:13:42 am »

Time to reinstall my server.
You being serious?
Or you just trolling?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #318 on: January 29, 2015, 04:41:46 am »

My advice: wait until you get on a server to do the missions, then bring allies.

Yeah... I'm gonna just not play. I was okay with pretty much all the other changes, even the ones I didn't particularly like, but this one is a deal breaker for me. Can't progress in the game without slamming my head against the wall for several hours, repeatedly coming close to beating the absurdly difficult dungeon then getting picked off at the last moment, then having to start the whole damn thing over again? I've got better things to do, I'm afraid. If they ever change this, I'll come back.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 29, 2015, 04:45:43 am »

My advice: wait until you get on a server to do the missions, then bring allies.

Yeah... I'm gonna just not play. I was okay with pretty much all the other changes, even the ones I didn't particularly like, but this one is a deal breaker for me. Can't progress in the game without slamming my head against the wall for several hours, repeatedly coming close to beating the absurdly difficult dungeon then getting picked off at the last moment, then having to start the whole damn thing over again? I've got better things to do, I'm afraid. If they ever change this, I'll come back.
They will eventually make alternate ways to progress through the game.
But we'll see when that happens.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2015, 04:58:33 am »

Character wipes ahoy!

At least the matter manipulator works faster and seems more useful.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2015, 05:05:14 am »

Yeah... I wouldn't put stock into that anymore...

Not that "Grinding for hours doing gardening or making houses" is that much of an improvement over playing the game.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2015, 05:12:34 am »

Not that "Grinding for hours doing gardening or making houses" is that much of an improvement over playing the game.

It is if you enjoy gardening and making houses.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2015, 05:14:35 am »

It is if you enjoy gardening and making houses.
I'm not much of a fighter but I like building stuff. Provided I have enough materials.
So when the alternate progressions are implemented, I will welcome them with open arms.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:37:32 am by Ultimuh »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2015, 06:14:40 am »

I honestly haven't found the missions... excessively difficult. They are really meant to be challenges. If you go into them underprepared, that's... well, that's your funeral. :P

The only stupidly difficult one for me was the robot. Its spread attack is very hard to avoid, and I hadn't thought of using a two-handed sword for that purpose. Other than the damned spread attack, the rest of its battle pattern is easy to adapt to. Even easier if you have an electric melee weapon or a water sword to get the missiles without expending energy. Unfortunately I was a glass cannon build. :P So I ended up cheesing the boss through the semiautomatic doorway.

The Floran party I actually found kinda fun. Platforming, grapple gun exploration, very fun traps (to avoid). Remember to bring grapple guns and antitoxins though. A shield and a one-handed ranged weapon of some kind are also a must.

Maybe I'm just too fond of classic Nintendo Hard platformers. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2015, 07:59:34 am »

I honestly haven't found the missions... excessively difficult. They are really meant to be challenges. If you go into them underprepared, that's... well, that's your funeral. :P

The only stupidly difficult one for me was the robot. Its spread attack is very hard to avoid, and I hadn't thought of using a two-handed sword for that purpose. Other than the damned spread attack, the rest of its battle pattern is easy to adapt to. Even easier if you have an electric melee weapon or a water sword to get the missiles without expending energy. Unfortunately I was a glass cannon build. :P So I ended up cheesing the boss through the semiautomatic doorway.

The Floran party I actually found kinda fun. Platforming, grapple gun exploration, very fun traps (to avoid). Remember to bring grapple guns and antitoxins though. A shield and a one-handed ranged weapon of some kind are also a must.

I couldn't get past the first mission. I went in with piles of food, the best weapon and armor I could make, but I got annihilated. Those guys hit for crazy lots of damage and their attacks are almost impossible to avoid. I tried picking them off one at a time from a distance with my composite bow, but then I encountered an enemy who looked like a friend and got killed before I knew what was going on. It took me an HOUR to get that far. I tried a couple more times, but once I realized I'd have to start all over, I started getting very frustrated and eventually just gave up. Which would all be fine if it was optional, but you can't even leave your starting system until you finish that stupid mission. I fully explored all the planets, which were all essentially identical, and didn't find anything better than my craftable equipment. How exactly does anyone beat it, anyway?

I'll be happy if they either make it optional, make it easier, or keep it exactly how it is but SAVE the progress you've made instead of making you do it all from scratch every single time. It takes way too long to get through the dungeon for them to just take back all your progress if you slip up once. That's not a matter of making the game challenging, that's just being dicks to your players.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2015, 08:02:03 am »

If you were planning on giving it another try, the Planetside Respawn mod could be a suggestion. It, as the name suggests, causes you to respawn on the surface of any planets you die on, rather than on your ship. Which, for missions, should result in them not resetting if I recall correctly.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2015, 08:11:18 am »

Ahh, my ongoing early access dilemma arises again. Play now? Or wait for the next update?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2015, 08:36:19 am »

I couldn't get past the first mission. I went in with piles of food, the best weapon and armor I could make, but I got annihilated. Those guys hit for crazy lots of damage and their attacks are almost impossible to avoid. I tried picking them off one at a time from a distance with my composite bow, but then I encountered an enemy who looked like a friend and got killed before I knew what was going on. It took me an HOUR to get that far. I tried a couple more times, but once I realized I'd have to start all over, I started getting very frustrated and eventually just gave up. Which would all be fine if it was optional, but you can't even leave your starting system until you finish that stupid mission. I fully explored all the planets, which were all essentially identical, and didn't find anything better than my craftable equipment. How exactly does anyone beat it, anyway?

I'll be happy if they either make it optional, make it easier, or keep it exactly how it is but SAVE the progress you've made instead of making you do it all from scratch every single time. It takes way too long to get through the dungeon for them to just take back all your progress if you slip up once. That's not a matter of making the game challenging, that's just being dicks to your players.

Sounds like you were terribly unlucky. I was going in with steel armor and at least three different guns. Bring lots of bandages - food is nigh-pointless (if you want to heal slowly there are bunks everywhere), and make sure to bring a shield of some kind. If you can't find a shield, bring a twohanded sword - anything to block with. Complete the coffee girl's quest and use the tech card to equip Pulse Jump.

Most of all, remember that you don't need to explore the whole facility - just take the shortest path. The infected workers are the worst part of the mission, but there are only what, four of them? They hit crazy hard, but can't jump - all you need is stay out of their way with Pulse Jump, or find high places to stand on and plink away at them.

There's now also a boss at the end of the level, but it's not too hard. Indeed you don't even need any weapons to kill it.

All in all, the mission monsters are only as difficult to kill as the random creatures on the next tier of planets you'll be exploring. Really, if that mission is hard for you, you're not going to have any fun at all at the floran party later.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #329 on: January 29, 2015, 08:57:50 am »

Sounds like you were terribly unlucky. I was going in with steel armor and at least three different guns. Bring lots of bandages - food is nigh-pointless (if you want to heal slowly there are bunks everywhere), and make sure to bring a shield of some kind. If you can't find a shield, bring a twohanded sword - anything to block with. Complete the coffee girl's quest and use the tech card to equip Pulse Jump.

Most of all, remember that you don't need to explore the whole facility - just take the shortest path. The infected workers are the worst part of the mission, but there are only what, four of them? They hit crazy hard, but can't jump - all you need is stay out of their way with Pulse Jump, or find high places to stand on and plink away at them.

There's now also a boss at the end of the level, but it's not too hard. Indeed you don't even need any weapons to kill it.

All in all, the mission monsters are only as difficult to kill as the random creatures on the next tier of planets you'll be exploring. Really, if that mission is hard for you, you're not going to have any fun at all at the floran party later.

I just want to explore and find stuff and build stuff. In the previous version of the game, you could do that. I did it for hours and hours and hours and I had a great time. I cheesed the bosses, mined through the harder planets to avoid having to fight too much, made the best equipment, and cruised around the universe discovering fun stuff and building sweet houses. Now I can't do that. Now it's only a linear fighting game with some procedural elements. My sandbox game is gone. And they wouldn't even let me disable updates... I thought maybe I could just keep the old version and play that, but it updated automatically. : ( The game I enjoyed is gone. I don't suppose there's any way to get the previous version now?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 130