Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441040 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile

Last I heard it'd gone from multiple paths to everyone should do some of everything.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Doing a bump to rant about HOW STUPID THE ERCHIUS MINING FACILITY BOSS IS.

I just don't get it! I have extreme amounts of healing supplies, steel armor, just about the best weapons I could find in my solar system, yet I just can't beat it. And every time I lose, I have to do the entire quest all over again. I don't get how they can design a boss fight so badly.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm. For me, unless I turn my computer off, I just start at the start of the mission with all the monsters I have killed already dead and the Erchius Horror at the health I reduced it to before I died.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I just don't get it! I have extreme amounts of healing supplies, steel armor, just about the best weapons I could find in my solar system, yet I just can't beat it. And every time I lose, I have to do the entire quest all over again. I don't get how they can design a boss fight so badly.
There's a trick. :3
Sometimes, there are bosses which are IMPOSSIBLE TO DEFEAT using conventional logic--because the answer lies in the surroundings.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sometimes, there are bosses which are IMPOSSIBLE TO DEFEAT using conventional logic--because the answer lies in the surroundings.

I know Half-Life did it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I know Half-Life did it.
I know Quake did it. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile

So this game is actually still being developed? Cool. I might have to fire this up sometime. I had understood that there was a fair bit of bad blood between us little consumers and them big bad developers.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

So this game is actually still being developed? Cool. I might have to fire this up sometime. I had understood that there was a fair bit of bad blood between us little consumers and them big bad developers.

I thought the bad blood was between the rhythmically undulating mass of gamers and the small group of people who decided to develop a game.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought the bad blood was between the rhythmically undulating mass of gamers and the small group of people who decided to develop a game.

The devs set the stage early on in the twitch stream at release day. It was nothing but text doge spam and the devs cheered it all on. There was no communication, just doge.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ehh the first boss is lousy anyhow...

If they removed him completely I certainly would be like "Good riddance"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't mind the first boss as a concept, it could be ironed out more.

However, if they really want to keep going full Megaman-X with their end bosses they REALLY could use a respawning mechanic. Like, getting 5 lives or whatever before having to completely retry the mission.

Plus make missions completely optional for advancement, or at least have the several "paths" they originally announced. Not everybody plays this game as an action platformer. And it's a mediocre one right now, compared to most SNES titles. <- this is not a criticism to the programming skill. The game clearly wasn't intented as one from scratch, which it should have been if that was the path they wanted all along. Making an action platformer first and only then working on more sandbox features.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:42:15 pm by Sergius »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

The devs set the stage early on in the twitch stream at release day. It was nothing but text doge spam and the devs cheered it all on. There was no communication, just doge.

It's not that they're bad developers. They're just really really shitty at PR.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile

Actually as many times as the game features have been gutted and rebuilt at this point they're not terribly great at development, either. The coders have been competent before they abandoned ship, but someone needs to actually nail down a plan and keep people on task.

P.S. That task people are on really shouldn't be "whatever shiny thought just slammed into my frontal lobe just now" updated daily.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Yeah. That's my main problem with how Starbound is developed. While they actually make some progress, they seemingly just add random (extrinisic, usually) things instead of actually following some kind of semi-rigid plan.

I would much rather they work on the backend and mechanics over adding race-specific pets.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Actually as many times as the game features have been gutted and rebuilt at this point they're not terribly great at development, either. The coders have been competent before they abandoned ship, but someone needs to actually nail down a plan and keep people on task.

P.S. That task people are on really shouldn't be "whatever shiny thought just slammed into my frontal lobe just now" updated daily.
Yeah. That's my main problem with how Starbound is developed. While they actually make some progress, they seemingly just add random (extrinisic, usually) things instead of actually following some kind of semi-rigid plan.

I would much rather they work on the backend and mechanics over adding race-specific pets.

Everything I hate about Starbound summed up.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 130