Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441073 times)

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Plus make missions completely optional for advancement, or at least have the several "paths" they originally announced. Not everybody plays this game as an action platformer. And it's a mediocre one right now, compared to most SNES titles. <- this is not a criticism to the programming skill. The game clearly wasn't intented as one from scratch, which it should have been if that was the path they wanted all along. Making an action platformer first and only then working on more sandbox features.

Gotta agree. Why make a sandbox game, then hide 90% of the content behind a platform-skills gatekeeper? I'm old, but I couldn't beat those SNES games when I was young either.

Make the bosses optional short-cuts, but let geezers and casuals grind for advancement as required.

That said, I haven't played in around six months and have more than had my moneysworth out of it, so whatever. The next "Terraria" or "Minecraft" will be along soon enough.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

next "Terraria"

Are you excited for Terraria 2.0 too? :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I could have cared less about alternate paths of advancement... until I had a friend I wanted to play with who hated the current mission aspect.

While having there be a lot of crossover if you want some addition content is a good idea... it is sad I'll find it impossible to play the game with one of my only internet friends xD

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

next "Terraria"

Are you excited for Terraria 2.0 too? :P

I don't think I've been excited since the 90s, and even that may have been a drug reaction, but I'll certainly play it. Terraria is another game I never completely "opened up" but got many times my moneysworth out of it.

I could have cared less about alternate paths of advancement... until I had a friend I wanted to play with who hated the current mission aspect.

While having there be a lot of crossover if you want some addition content is a good idea... it is sad I'll find it impossible to play the game with one of my only internet friends xD

How good a friend? He could let you play on his account to get past the bosses. (Again, I haven't played for months so have no idea what's required - I just know I could cheese my way past the original bosses fairly easily, but this sounds a bit more hardcore platformy and less letsexploittheenviromenty. Not every game has to be "Dark Souls", although I am working on a peewee soccer league manager game that'll result in all your players dying in a bus crash if ANYONE forgets to pack a juice box.)

I would caution, back in the 80s I used to play a PBeM game on one of the commercial BBs. It ran three moves a week. One of my online buddies was going on holiday and left his account details with his flatmate so he could make his moves for him. The flatmate ran his moves exactly as planned but my buddy was getting emails (I don't think we even called them emails then) for months afterwards from middle-aged couples who wanted to take him up on his "offer".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OWWW my immersion

So in a weird extremely gamey turn of things... there are now items you need to collect to upgrade... a light... that you wear on your back...

It is always odd in games when you feel like you could probably do better then the guys in the game. "Hmmm Tape + Lamp + shoulder = I don't need those cards"

But ultimately my opinion of this is.. COME ON!... yeah its helpful but really?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Didn't upgrades exist before? What's so game-y about a shoulder-mounted lamp?

I feel like I'm missing something.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile

It may be that handy-dandy backlight isn't the most exciting thing to make an upgrade path all on its own? On the one hand, having it be something tech-y makes advancement a little more sane than "must fight aliens to craft lantern stick". On the other hand, that doesn't answer the question of why you can't have a lantern stick. Or duct tape plus a flashlight, as mentioned. If back-mounted gear is a large category that included, I don't know, buff generators or something significant like that it might be interesting. To me, there is something kind of weird about making a linear and kind of ugly light source something that takes unique upgrade parts.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile

Yeah it is pretty sickening that there's items in a game with tiered progression that you can progress through tiers. The outrage, it is great. This bile is for you, systemic oppression.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah it is pretty sickening that there's items in a game with tiered progression that you can progress through tiers. The outrage, it is great. This bile is for you, systemic oppression.

It is more that it is just weird that there are specifically tech cards REQUIRED so your lantern on a stick can be upgraded to... a light on a stick... then to a brighter light on a stick... then to a bright light on a stick.

This is the sort of thing people make fun of if they were in other games.

"So let me get this straight... I need to research the ability to strap a lightbulb to my back?"

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No I know. it's completely unprecedented. I've never heard of a system where you had to upgrade equipped stuff before. Clearly this experiment is doomed to failure. Folly of the highest caliber.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No I know. it's completely unprecedented. I've never heard of a system where you had to upgrade equipped stuff before. Clearly this experiment is doomed to failure. Folly of the highest caliber.

You have to be sarcastic.

It is more that... it is a weird thing to upgrade...

It is really over the top for what it just a light bulb attached to your back... In a game where you can just freely carry around light sources.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is more that it is just weird that there are specifically tech cards REQUIRED so your lantern on a stick can be upgraded to... a light on a stick... then to a brighter light on a stick... then to a bright light on a stick.

This is the sort of thing people make fun of if they were in other games.

"So let me get this straight... I need to research the ability to strap a lightbulb to my back?"
Okay, yeah, that sounds somewhat immersion-breaking. I don't think it's the end of the world, still, but fair point.

Assuming that it's literally just something taped to a stick, of course; if it's actually, say, a light welded to a piece of metal, it makes more sense.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Folly of the highest caliber.

High caliber Folly approves.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Assuming that it's literally just something taped to a stick, of course; if it's actually, say, a light welded to a piece of metal, it makes more sense.

The first version is a lantern on a stick. After that it's a backpack-slot no-fuel generator with a light socket on it. So yeah, it is technology that you upgrade to make more powerful/efficient.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is really over the top for what it just a light bulb attached to your back... In a game where you can just freely carry around light sources.

You've never played the missions, I take it? Sure, you can carry around torches. They don't produce light when merely held in your hand and you can't modify the environment to place them. What now?

Especially in the mine, back light and/or flashlight is pretty much required.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 130