Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441022 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is really over the top for what it just a light bulb attached to your back... In a game where you can just freely carry around light sources.

You've never played the missions, I take it? Sure, you can carry around torches. They don't produce light when merely held in your hand and you can't modify the environment to place them. What now?

Especially in the mine, back light and/or flashlight is pretty much required.

Required? Sure. It's still a torch strapped to your back. It doesn't take an engineering degree to do that.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is really over the top for what it just a light bulb attached to your back... In a game where you can just freely carry around light sources.

You've never played the missions, I take it? Sure, you can carry around torches. They don't produce light when merely held in your hand and you can't modify the environment to place them. What now?

Required? Sure. It's still a torch strapped to your back. It doesn't take an engineering degree to do that.

I was making no statements regarding the crafting of said equipment. I was refuting the "freely carry around light sources" part that I quoted.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

A lantern, not a torch. A torch strapped to your back would be rather... uncomfortable. :P
Not to mention it working underwater would make even less sense.

As-is, you can't make lanterns from the get-go either. I would have preferred something less archaic than literally a lantern on a stick (i.e. something closer to the lamppack upgrades, like a "lamppost backpack"), but I don't see it being that wrong.

Besides, if you're talking about things that don't require an engineering degree, you should have mentioned how you would normally strap your flashlight to your head to free your hands. Zero skill requirements in Cataclysm, I believe. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How'd we get this far without anyone mentioning Doom 3?

I can tell I'm going to have to reinstall Starbound to see what this new mission structure is actually like.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A lantern, not a torch. A torch strapped to your back would be rather... uncomfortable. :P
Not to mention it working underwater would make even less sense.

If you're British a flashlight is a torch.

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No I know. it's completely unprecedented. I've never heard of a system where you had to upgrade equipped stuff before. Clearly this experiment is doomed to failure. Folly of the highest caliber.

Plenty of games have upgradeable equipment and technology. It's actually pretty standard, not experimental at all. Don't let that put you off, we're just discussing what we do and don't like about the existing system (which, again, I have not played), you'll soon get up to speed.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile

No I know. it's completely unprecedented. I've never heard of a system where you had to upgrade equipped stuff before. Clearly this experiment is doomed to failure. Folly of the highest caliber.

Plenty of games have upgradeable equipment and technology. It's actually pretty standard, not experimental at all. Don't let that put you off, we're just discussing what we do and don't like about the existing system (which, again, I have not played), you'll soon get up to speed.

I think that's Dark's point, actually. (unless you already knew that, in which case we've hit Peak Sarcasm) My issue isn't that the game has upgrade-able equipment.  I'm for that, especially if it means that the best equipment won't always be some random axe you found in a chest that throws poison or rubber ducks or whatever. My point is making one of four unique upgrade paths be the light source feels kind of weird. If it all they do is provide linearly increasing light, that doesn't seem like something I'd be excited to find in a chest.

Even then, the weird part isn't that you can upgrade your light source. But giving lights their own upgrade currency marks them as something special, on the same level as the matter manipulator or tech cards, seems like a weird choice. It's not a Burn the Chucklefish Heretic kind of problem, it's just an odd and underwhelming design choice.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile

They specifically said that the part to upgrade the light sources is going to work for lots of other stuff as well, in the same update they said the other currencies work for multiple other things. I'm not sure where the hangup is on the whole issue.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Chucklefish
Upgrade components (third row) are currently used to upgrade the backpack lanterns. They’ll be used for more things in the future, like armours!

Fair enough, I honestly missed that part of it. Armor sounds like it could have some interesting upgrades. The hang-up was coming from my misreading/misremembering that one sentence (which was my fuckup, sure), so I was remembering an entire upgrade path as being progressively more impressive lanterns.

I'm not sure I see anything about the other currencies being used for multiple things? I see stuff about matter manipulators, tech drives replacing tech cards, the upgrade components we've been arguing about, auto drives for vehicles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No you are right Oneir

If they announced that the "light upgrade module fragment" can be used for more then upgrading backpack light modules...

They didn't on the update page.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

They specifically said that the part to upgrade the light sources is going to work for lots of other stuff as well, in the same update they said the other currencies work for multiple other things. I'm not sure where the hangup is on the whole issue.

Emphasis mine. Isn't the entire game about upgrades? Why does it matter that we're getting light sources better than a lantern on a stick, on an upgrade basis? Is it integrity in video game journalism?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Emphasis mine. Isn't the entire game about upgrades? Why does it matter that we're getting light sources better than a lantern on a stick, on an upgrade basis? Is it integrity in video game journalism?

If you want we could just go back to talking about their PR management...

Instead of what we are doing right now... which is talking about the game xD

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I can't tell. Am I coming across as like, angry or witch-hunty or whatever? I'm trying not to, but tone and text and all that. Relatedly, I'm clearly not picking up what you're putting down with the gamergate reference. All I'm saying is it's a a weird choice. Making one of your upgrade currencies focus on light is weird, because from a design perspective you're basically saying that all those cool techs that let you fly and shoot lasers have the same weight as a brighter lamp.

Look, honestly I know responding to people to prove you don't care as much as they say is just textbook internet stupidity, but I'm really just trying to make my stance clear. I think game design is interesting, or else I wouldn't care about following Starbound. This a weird game design tidbit. That's all, from me.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

Okay, I can't tell. Am I coming across as like, angry or witch-hunty or whatever? I'm trying not to, but tone and text and all that. Relatedly, I'm clearly not picking up what you're putting down with the gamergate reference. All I'm saying is it's a a weird choice. Making one of your upgrade currencies focus on light is weird, because from a design perspective you're basically saying that all those cool techs that let you fly and shoot lasers have the same weight as a brighter lamp.

Look, honestly I know responding to people to prove you don't care as much as they say is just textbook internet stupidity, but I'm really just trying to make my stance clear. I think game design is interesting, or else I wouldn't care about following Starbound. This a weird game design tidbit. That's all, from me.

No, no, that's totally fine and that's awesome. Game design is a crazy concept to begin with. I was being sarcastic at the end :P tone and text, as you say.

And from what other people are saying, the "resources" used to upgrade the lantern on a stick are to be used other places as well, and aren't unique to the lightsource, which is a good move on their part.

If you want we could just go back to talking about their PR management...

Instead of what we are doing right now... which is talking about the game xD

We're still complaining about them in a way :P We aren't talking about "oh, lookit this cool thing I built", we're talking about "Why are they making light upgradeable?" which is totally different. We're still talking about them and not the game.

I'll... Have some pics to post later. I like the new teleporter systems. I will have some neat shacks up. Soon as I figure out how to hack basic blocks into my 3d printer. I don't like having to search for blocks after finding them once, you know? And Nexus doesn't have a mod that will do that for me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As well they need to alter their platform challenges. The vast majority of them are short jump challenges.

You want to give your players some meaty jumps rather then make them do ice skating mid air.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 130