Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439258 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Starbound - Adjective Animal - All sorts of random things
« Reply #600 on: July 16, 2015, 01:15:19 pm »

I've had this kicking around my library from some long-forgotten sale. Only ever put about 10 hours in it (iirc I used the distress beacon & that was pretty much it) and I've recently started it up while waiting for the terraria utilities to update.

Any tips/tricks?

I'm strongly considering using mods on my first playthrough, since many require new/fresh characters or universes.
Is this a bad idea?
Any mod suggestions? (going through the top mods of every category now)

Ooh, and should I get a hunger/thirst mod? Heard CF recently made food&water all but useless.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #601 on: July 16, 2015, 02:07:00 pm »

The food bar served as nothing but an anti AFK timer, food stopped being relevant after the first 10 minutes of getting yourself established, whereas now there's actually a reason to make advanced foods, so I'd hardly say it's useless.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 16, 2015, 02:08:29 pm »

The food bar served as nothing but an anti AFK timer, food stopped being relevant after the first 10 minutes of getting yourself established, whereas now there's actually a reason to make advanced foods, so I'd hardly say it's useless.

Naw... there is no real need to make advanced foods even now.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #603 on: July 16, 2015, 02:10:06 pm »

There's much more of a reason than there was before at the very least.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 16, 2015, 02:24:45 pm »

Not meaning to intentionally be inflammatory.

Are you the type of person who doesn't use potions in The Witcher or Terraria because those are also unnecessary?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 16, 2015, 03:21:52 pm »

That's not really a fair comparison, though. The foods in Starbound are pretty extraneous; most of the main healing items are rooted in bandages, which are both fast and easy to make, and all of the more advanced ones just have slightly higher costs. Additionally, most of the utility functions are embodied in techs and equipment. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the buffs are nice, but they're not critical.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile

I'll... Have some pics to post later. I like the new teleporter systems. I will have some neat shacks up. Soon as I figure out how to hack basic blocks into my 3d printer. I don't like having to search for blocks after finding them once, you know? And Nexus doesn't have a mod that will do that for me.
When starbound had launched I had created a mod that let you freely create and deconstruct any blocks you found for pixels, I could go run the program I used to create the files again with the new system. I didn't bother updating it with the mod system with it since it was effectively ignored.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:20:11 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 16, 2015, 05:33:06 pm »

I just - is there a way to make it so -all- building blocks are scannable? I want my gd slime nation.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 16, 2015, 06:15:09 pm »

Yea...that is what I had done, it will take me a bit to figure out how to make a mod in starbound, the original mod was before they had the mod system. Are you just wanting everything to be scannable or also the refinery stuff?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 16, 2015, 06:49:28 pm »

It's been about one and a half years since I last seriously played Starbound, and then I told myself I'd go back once it were finished. Didn't seem it'd take that long for that to happen, but here I am, still waiting 19 months down the line. The devs have as much discipline as a cat before a trolling laser pointer.

My fear is it'll never reach an actual, proper release. Disorganized as they are, I fear a time will come when the devs simply say "fuck it" and deem whatever version they just released 1.0. Without really accomplishing more than having added inconsequential tertiary systems for months/years on end, as opposed to having worked on and honed the game's primary systems first and foremost. Without an actual plan (I think they ditched the original staged beta plan ages ago), this is liable to happen at any time.

I think it was several months ago when one of the lead Chucklefish personalities announced the game was fairly close to 1.0. Time passed, however, and they still seem as aimless as ever.

We'll see. With any luck, the game won't be a messy, incoherent salad of whimsical mechanics once it's properly released. For better or worse, who knows.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 16, 2015, 07:42:44 pm »

Yeah, it seems the problem with Chucklefish is, more than anything, a lack of discipline. They started off with the ideas, but they got sidetracked god-knows how many times. Which is a shame, really.

Pretty much how I imagine the Bay12 community whenever we/they try doing some collaborative project.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 16, 2015, 08:49:43 pm »

Yeah, it seems the problem with Chucklefish is, more than anything, a lack of discipline. They started off with the ideas, but they got sidetracked god-knows how many times. Which is a shame, really.

Pretty much how I imagine the Bay12 community whenever we/they try doing some collaborative project.
Or a guild.
First, a thing shows up in Other Games.
Then we make a thing in that thing.

Then eventually its fades out because people moved on to other things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 16, 2015, 08:50:39 pm »

Yep. Dwarven invaders did much better at first, for example, then the people started to drop off...
Well, were you not the first one to drop off the ARK server thing?
Thing is.. If the one arranging things is not dedicated to what they start, the rest kind of lose interest as well.

edit: Also what Aklyon said.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #613 on: July 16, 2015, 10:34:45 pm »

So you guys have any experience with the mods? Any I should avoid in particular? (good to know w/ the food)

A lot of them seem to break MP.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 17, 2015, 12:56:47 am »

That's not really a fair comparison, though. The foods in Starbound are pretty extraneous; most of the main healing items are rooted in bandages, which are both fast and easy to make, and all of the more advanced ones just have slightly higher costs. Additionally, most of the utility functions are embodied in techs and equipment. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the buffs are nice, but they're not critical.

It is worse then that. Even if you like healing over time the red stimpack out performs even the highest end healing from food even before you get bandages involved... and is much easier to obtain.

While many of the other foods have the issue of having recovery periods far far greater then the effect. So if you were, for example, wishing to use low gravity to safely explore a high gravity planet... You are going to have to find another way because low gravity foods have significant downtimes between eating.

Bonus points that the only low gravity food actually poisons you!

Turning what should be a sort of utility into a novelty at best.

Though speed/jump boost combos are decent enough if you are speed clearing planets.

---

Mind you Starbound is riddled with "It should be useful But" things anyhow.

For example the fact that rapid fire weaponry is pretty useless, or at least vastly underperforms and inferior to slow fire weaponry, and desperately needs some sort of armor pierce ability.

Or quite a few of the techs in Starbound just take far too much energy, or take up a slot for a much more important skill, or require something stupid to do (Thanks energy regen...), for you to usually consider it over the cheaper varieties.

Starbound is really rough and raw right now.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 130