Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439282 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #900 on: March 14, 2016, 09:32:51 pm »

It's already happening. I wonder if this has anything to do with the space tentacles.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 14, 2016, 11:17:59 pm »

Honestly I feel like No man's Sky will scratch the itch that Starbound failed to reach. It came close, but... Eugh. I guess I'll settle for exploring the stars in a small starship and living out childhood fantasies in 3D rather than 2D.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 15, 2016, 12:44:39 am »

This thread is stuck in a cycle of perpetuity. Every 10 pages or so it just repeats itself ceaselessly.
I find the thread more entertaining than the game, myself.
You could always just wait for Starbound to release some official update/full release of their game before checking back. That's mainly what I've been waiting for, avoiding getting involved in conversation here for the most part.
Or we could always just keep saying the same thing over and over.
Just a thought, but perhaps you should start a separate thread in general discussion? This derail has gone on for long enough.
You can't derail that which has no rails.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 15, 2016, 02:21:58 am »

Honestly I feel like No man's Sky will scratch the itch that Starbound failed to reach. It came close, but... Eugh. I guess I'll settle for exploring the stars in a small starship and living out childhood fantasies in 3D rather than 2D.
I think that's what killed Starbound for me primarily. The ship was a reason why I never had to build anything, so why the hell bother building a shelter? I prefer tinyships to house-sized ships.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 15, 2016, 02:49:03 am »

I think that's what killed Starbound for me primarily. The ship was a reason why I never had to build anything, so why the hell bother building a shelter? I prefer tinyships to house-sized ships.
Colony and crew mechanics. Need crew to upgrade ship, need settlement to get crew. A ship as just a means of travel is pointless, you may as well have a game like Terraria and pretend you're traveling to different planets when you load your character with different worldfiles. The ship as a central hub and mobile home is perfect, especially if there's any ship combat later on.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 15, 2016, 03:03:03 am »

SHip combat with a certain amount of RNG influence could bring this boat back from Hades. Hells, just rip and implement a variation of FTL's combat system, using chat bubbles and background effects.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 15, 2016, 10:43:50 am »

To be honest, Elite: Dangerous But I Can Fuck About On Foot is exactly what I want from a Sci-Fi game. Elite still kind of scratches my itch, though.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 15, 2016, 01:49:56 pm »

It's been a while since I played it, but Interestellaria had the sort of combat that could work for SB if they ever get around to that.
And indeed adding the need for crew to upgrade the ship and need for colony to get crew sounds like a nice idea, because it always felt like "Terraria loading different worlds". I just wish the colony system wasn't a Terraria 2.0, but at this point I guess it'll do.

And how bad is to get the crew you need for upgrades you need? I've seen a video you have to explore to find fragments to upgrade the Matter Manipulator for a while now. All this, along with nerfs to mining tools is making it sound more like a chore than anything. If I ever go back to Starbound I'll definitely add "OP mining tools" mods.

I'm hoping I'm misinformed, though.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 15, 2016, 01:52:30 pm »

You clearly missed the point of what I said even with my clarification. Well done.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 15, 2016, 03:34:25 pm »

You clearly missed the point of what I said even with my clarification. Well done.
Actually I wasn't replying to you, I just saw talk of No Man's Sky in this thread and wanted to throw my opinion into the fray.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 15, 2016, 04:42:43 pm »

That's what the No Man's Sky thread is for. Just let this thread die until 1.0 comes out and then you can get back to shitposting.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 15, 2016, 04:55:20 pm »

TBH I'm just disappointed that they never integrated player-built ships as an alternative to the shitty, poorly laid-out default ones. Some of the best fun I had in Starbound was building my asteroid treeship.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 15, 2016, 05:14:33 pm »

shitposting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 15, 2016, 06:58:32 pm »

Hey just saying, you guys should tone it down before Toad steps in.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 130