Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439271 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #930 on: April 03, 2016, 01:28:35 pm »

Why did they change the story again?
Because they have the discipline and organisation of a bunch of cats with a bowl of milk in front of them.
Or maybe it was because the game was in development?

Has Starbound ever had a story worthy of being called such?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 03, 2016, 01:38:57 pm »

Looking forward to it, though i wish the story were more than eight missions, considering how long they've worked on it. I suspect they may add more story-ish stuff later, though I dont know for sure.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 03, 2016, 02:09:29 pm »

Leaving Early Access doesn’t mean the end of updates for Starbound by any means, instead it will mark a shift away from engine work and towards additional content creation.

They were still doing engine work?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 03, 2016, 02:13:56 pm »

Eh, much of a naysayer as I've been for a while, the game itself doesn't look too bad. I'll give it another go whenever 1.0 is out and the patch or four to fix whatever 1.0 breaks is also out.

Already spent money on it long ago, no reason not to play it, right?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 03, 2016, 02:24:09 pm »

Pretty sure I've said this before, but I'm sure that post-1.0 starbound will be a legitimately fun game.

Sure, not nearly as fun as it could be. Probably not as fun as it was promised to be, but still a fun game. For most people, that is.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 03, 2016, 02:39:45 pm »

Leaving Early Access doesn’t mean the end of updates for Starbound by any means, instead it will mark a shift away from engine work and towards additional content creation.

They were still doing engine work?
Yep. They did quite a big optimization pass on the OpenGL renderer. Me being on the potato side of compliant system specs, it's quite noticeable. They did break the DirectX renderer in the process (or just left it for last), because it's not in the Nightly as of now, but eh. I'm both looking forward to, and dreading the promised server-side optimization pass - a lot of the harder fights in the game I've won mostly because they happened in bullet-time. >_>

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 03, 2016, 02:52:28 pm »

Well I feel ripped off, then again I should.

And now I can be 100% justified in feeling ripped off and people can just shut up about it BECAUSE we are on version 1.0 so there is no iffs ands or buts about if the game will suddenly pull "being good" or "actually fulfilling a small amount of its promises" out of its butt.

AND because the "Engine" is done. It means combat will never be fixed, platforming will never be fixed, and all the little things that needed work (AKA everything) will never be fixed.

Like The Sims 4, new content cannot fix a broken system in the same way new cannons, new sail, and a washed deck cannot fix a leaky ship. If the game is fundamentally flawed on the lowest level, no amount of 'stuff' is going to prop it up.

This game is the Sims 4 all over again. Things meant to ape "good" but really just prop up mediocrity.

Done... may this game be buried deep into the ground and no angels weep over its remains because it deserves every bit of negativity, EVERY BAD WORD, Ever said about it! Halleluiah Christmas has come early.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:57:09 pm by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 03, 2016, 03:09:28 pm »

Done... may this game be buried deep into the ground and no angels weep over its remains because it deserves every bit of negativity, EVERY BAD WORD, Ever said about it! Halleluiah Christmas has come early.
Just out of curiosity, do you have a list of... similarly bad.. games, anywhere on you?

I feel rather compelled to try them out.

I had a similar experience with unfulfilled potential with Stardrive, and I really only left that game because the dev stopped any and all work on it (to work on the sequel... which was basically the same game, but killed and reanimated as something else). It doesn't mean Stardrive is any less of a good game, at its core - it was just released and left unfinished, because the original vision did not work out. Starbound is kind of like that, but it's actually being completed, even if it strayed from its original goals in order to keep going.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 03, 2016, 03:24:18 pm »

Ehh I am honestly more mad that I've been constantly told I have no right to complain because either the game isn't finished, because they enjoy it, or because of the original features list.

Which is why I feel so good that it hit version 1.0 so I can basically say "Nope! officially 1.0"

even if it strayed from its original goals in order to keep going

It feels like a completely different game honestly.

But honestly Starbound wouldn't be so bad even now if it could just get its act together... which it never will because 1.0
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:26:52 pm by Neonivek »

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 03, 2016, 03:28:38 pm »

I've played Starbound for "380 hours"... probably somewhere more around, maybe 300 to 320. The rest is idle time. Once again, I think people are being too harsh on this game as well. Maybe people just enjoy complaining? I dunno. I don't feel ripped off, although I definitely admit there are some things that annoy me. It does seem like they've been  lazy about some things. I know, programming is very hard, but it's what they're meant to do. Something being harder to program should, maybe not always, but.... it usually should  just mean a developer should try harder. Although, as they've said, they will continue adding things to the game for a while.

Has anyone compiled a list of promised features that still aren't in the game?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 03, 2016, 03:59:22 pm »

Has anyone compiled a list of promised features that still aren't in the game?

No because they took them down... because of course they did :P

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 03, 2016, 05:46:04 pm »

But honestly, what were you guys expecting from a 15-dollar game?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 03, 2016, 05:51:22 pm »

I guess I expected honesty, integrity, and transparency.

Or are you saying that 15 dollar games can't be really fun?

Want me to list you some free games that are really fun?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #943 on: April 03, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »

I expected the game they advertised, the game they set out to make. So far I haven't seen it and regret buying, but that was back when I still did early access stuff which I don't any more, partly because of Starbound.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 03, 2016, 06:51:43 pm »

"lol it's only $15 so it's okay that they fucked up the project, trolled their customers instead of working, and didn't deliver"

>til you can lie to someone for financial gain as long as it's not too much money from some random person's pov
>tfw terraria had the same pricing but delivered well for what it was
>tfw there are $5 games that are better-made and aligned with their original intent
>tfw there are free games in alpha or alpha-equivalent states that are massively better games than this
>tfw you have ancient shareware DOS games that are more interesting and have more replay value
>tfw someone tries to excuse shitty devs by belittling people for legitimate complaints

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 130