Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441184 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1125 on: July 27, 2016, 02:27:46 am »

Is it possible to find tungsten on the starting planet? I haven't found any but it seems necessary to make even the most basic progress in anything. I used /admin to beat the stupid Erchius mine so I could move along and do the actual fun part of the game. (Yay cheating!) Now I've been told to scan for "floran clues" and I have no idea what that means. I see I can go to the moon, but there's no air there - don't I need to make something to breathe? I am very confuse. I really want to get off this starting planet and finally find an interesting place to make my base.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 27, 2016, 02:29:13 am »

I see I can go to the moon, but there's no air there - don't I need to make something to breathe? I am very confuse.

See, dumb shit like that is why getting the oxygen tech thingy was accessible BEFORE the mining facility quest.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 27, 2016, 02:29:38 am »

Is it possible to find tungsten on the starting planet? I haven't found any but it seems necessary to make even the most basic progress in anything. I used /admin to beat the stupid Erchius mine so I could move along and do the actual fun part of the game. (Yay cheating!) Now I've been told to scan for "floran clues" and I have no idea what that means. I see I can go to the moon, but there's no air there - don't I need to make something to breathe? I am very confuse. I really want to get off this starting planet and finally find an interesting place to make my base.

No you cannot get Tungsten on the starting planet.

In fact getting Iron on planets with Tungsten is difficult.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1128 on: July 27, 2016, 02:31:00 am »

I see I can go to the moon, but there's no air there - don't I need to make something to breathe? I am very confuse.

See, dumb shit like that is why getting the oxygen tech thingy was accessible BEFORE the mining facility quest.

Where is the oxygen tech thingy? I haven't found it anywhere. :(

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 27, 2016, 02:33:32 am »

PSA

There's a bug with ship upgrades apparently. I've had a mechanic expanding my fuel tanks for a long while (40k pixels is a handful) to something like 4000 fuel. When I bought the rank 4 ship upgrade, it reset my fuel tanks to 1000. So... Yeah. I still had the 5k fuel or whatever I *hadn't* dumped in the tank, but just FYI.

End PSA

Tungsten is desert planets. you'll have to mine moons for fuel eventually, look up the EPP module on... something. the anvil? The rightmost tab on the anvil-equivalent device.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 27, 2016, 02:37:07 am »

Where is the oxygen tech thingy? I haven't found it anywhere. :(

It used to be easily available via a quest on the outpost. Fucked if I know how you get it now. The wiki is not a reliable source of info, sadly. Last I checked, they haven't got the memo about pickaxes being a bitch to craft.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 27, 2016, 02:37:41 am »

I don't think there is any Tungston on the planet you start the game on. The first minable one that is. I had to finish the crystal mine boss, get the ship repaired and go to another planet in the solar system to find one with Tungston, it was quite close to the surface as well.

This second planet wasn't a desert but another grassy/ forest planet. I think it's just the first planet that doesn't have tungston, to make you have to go out and explore.

Does Starbound have anything similar to the Guide in Terraria?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 27, 2016, 02:45:44 am »

The first planet you start on is a Lush planet type, which is basically a planet specifically designed so players can first spawn in on them. AFAIK they all have a mine (because many people complained about having to slowly dig to the center of the planet for core fragments with an unupgraded manipulator) and a gate to the outpost because of this. They also don't have tungsten on them. You need to beat the mining facility to unlock the ability to travel to other planets that do have tungsten. You can see all of the ores available for the planet under its description in the star chart thingy. You will probably want to go to a desert planet anyways to get sand so you can craft glass, which is one of the upgrade requirements of one of the crafting stations. After you get tungsten and start upgrading stuff you'll eventually want to be able to leave the system to more dangerous stars, which requires fuel. To get fuel you can either buy it from the outpost, or craft a Breathing EPP at the anvil and go to a moon to mine it yourself. The EPP will also let you breathe underwater. After that you're probably going to have to craft the Radioactive EPP upgrade for the next tier of stuff. After that I'm not sure, haven't made it that far yet.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1133 on: July 27, 2016, 03:35:03 am »

Son of a... I didn't realize I could travel between planets in the system without any fuel. Because, you know, that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Well, throwing that cognitive dissonance in the vault, off I go to mine some tungsten...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 27, 2016, 03:37:25 am »

It is rather counter intuitive. I'm sure the game mentions something like the fuel being used for warp travel, but that being different from the normal engines...

I only remembered it from what I played Starbound back when it first came out.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 27, 2016, 03:37:45 am »

Son of a... I didn't realize I could travel between planets in the system without any fuel. Because, you know, that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Well, throwing that cognitive dissonance in the vault, off I go to mine some tungsten...

You have thrusters but nothing to juice up  your fancy interstellar FTL drive. Totes.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1136 on: July 27, 2016, 04:11:07 am »

Well I am now firmly in the camp of "dropping all your shit when you die is just stupid". I would have done casual difficulty but I LIKE FOOD DAMMIT. ARGH. Now I have to somehow find my way back to where I was, where ALL my ores and food and everything now are... And I died again just trying to find my way back. Will my stuff still be there now? I just had to rage-quit for the moment because this is so frustrating...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 27, 2016, 04:17:15 am »

Your dropped items remain if you die a second or third time though I don't know if they remain on a quit.

I think farming is a generally easy way to get food. It takes a bit of time to set up but things like tomatoes can be cooked to fill a nice bit of food meter. I think popcorn restores a large amount of food, oddly enough.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1138 on: July 27, 2016, 04:44:57 am »

Oh, yes, I like farming and eating. That's something that feels very strange to me - they made a "casual" mode and completely ignored the fact that casual-style gamers are often into farming, cooking, and eating.

I know they remain after a quit because I've done that already before. So they should be fine, hopefully.

I've come up with a personal work-around for the stupid death system. I don't mind the pixel loss - there should be some consequence, after all. I wouldn't even mind losing a few items, but ALL of them is just stupid. So to make up for that, I'm going to use /admin to get back to where my items were and then turn it back off, whenever I die in a difficult-to-reach location. Dying several more times along the way because I've just lost my regen items is too frustrating. This way I get the pixel loss, but I lose the frustration that makes me want to quit.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 27, 2016, 04:47:08 am »

Someone mentioned a mod that adds food under the casual mode, but I don't know if you have to re-create the character to change the difficulty mode (i.e. lose your current progress in order to play under casual-with-food-mod mode).
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 130