Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441025 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1410 on: August 04, 2016, 09:02:22 pm »

Refunding a game after playing for 82 hours seems a mite unethical despite any perceived slights on the part of the devs.

If a 100+ hour game is broken after any length of time, wouldn't you want a refund? "Fraudulent marketing" makes for a broken game in a less obvious way. Nvidia just lost a chunk of money over false advertising some years back. Should they have not been penalized for that?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 04, 2016, 09:10:14 pm »

Refunding a game after playing for 82 hours seems a mite unethical despite any perceived slights on the part of the devs.

If a 100+ hour game is broken after any length of time, wouldn't you want a refund? "Fraudulent marketing" makes for a broken game in a less obvious way. Nvidia just lost a chunk of money over false advertising some years back. Should they have not been penalized for that?

So a game being "broken" at some point completely negates the time you put in (which was supposedly fun or why would you have played).

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 04, 2016, 09:19:42 pm »

So a game being "broken" at some point completely negates the time you put in (which was supposedly fun or why would you have played).

Fun up to a point. If I rode a roller coaster and it broke halfway through, I'm asking for my money back. If I ate a tasty fillet mignon and I got food poisoning an hour later, I'm asking for my money back and my hospital bills covered. You advertised fillet mignon, not food poisoning from your mignon. I wouldn't buy that no matter how tasty the meat was. A company marketed a different product from what they sold. That's not okay.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 04, 2016, 09:24:00 pm »

Tell that to my having bothered to play through Daikatana.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 04, 2016, 09:52:12 pm »

Fun up to a point. If I rode a roller coaster and it broke halfway through, I'm asking for my money back. If I ate a tasty fillet mignon and I got food poisoning an hour later, I'm asking for my money back and my hospital bills covered. You advertised fillet mignon, not food poisoning from your mignon. I wouldn't buy that no matter how tasty the meat was. A company marketed a different product from what they sold. That's not okay.

That and what a laughable precedent to create.

Simply string people along with false advertisement until it is too late to do it.

Where have I heard this before? OHH RIGHT! The case where a company poisoned an entire town, lied about it, and basically waited until it became too late to sue them. Yeah the courts did not accept that excuse.

Sending someone "demos" of the supposive product until they rack up hours and then going "Well, now you can't refund you tried the demo"...
-Oddly enough... I would TOTALLY SUPPORT being able to refund a early access game after its been released... but it isn't feasible for Steam to do that. Then again I say this because Early Access has been abused to the extent that I wouldn't even object to a early access ban.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:53:59 pm by Neonivek »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 04, 2016, 09:53:38 pm »

That and what a laughable precedent to create.

Simply string people along with false advertisement until it is too late to do it.

Where have I heard this before? OHH RIGHT! The case where a company poisoned an entire town, lied about it, and basically waited until it became too late to sue them. Yeah the courts did not accept that excuse.

Just keep on going forward and ask for forgiveness later, if forced to do so.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 04, 2016, 10:45:12 pm »

You can really tell a thread has gone salty when people are comparing a slightly disappointing game with arguably shit PR equivalent to poisoning an entire town's water.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 04, 2016, 10:52:09 pm »

You can really tell a thread has gone salty when people are comparing a slightly disappointing game with arguably shit PR equivalent to poisoning an entire town's water.

Can you think of another case where a company intentionally lied to people with the sole intention of waiting until the statute of limitations ran out?

I honestly can't...

I am not saying Starbound is the same as poisoning people by any stretch.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 04, 2016, 10:55:33 pm »

Can you think of another case where a company intentionally lied to people with the sole intention of waiting until the statute of limitations ran out?

I honestly can't...
Not the point, and I'm fairly sure you know that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 04, 2016, 11:01:29 pm »

I honestly can't...
Not the point, and I'm fairly sure you know that.

Sorry let me respond to the point instead of actually saying something intelligent. I kind of ignored/interpreted-it-the-best-possible-way that part for a reason but if you insist Sirus.

OHH NO!!! people are complaining! OHH THE HUMANITY! I shall weep tears of blood onto this BATTLEFIELD where much casualties have been laid.

Damn it people! When will we ever learn... that humanity will never truly achieve peace until they are completely content with everything all the time and have absolutely no emotional attachments whatsoever.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:08:41 pm by Neonivek »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 04, 2016, 11:15:04 pm »

At least I used a fairly fitting comparison, feature-handling-wise, when I mentioned Daikatana. And continuing on that thread:

"Chucklefish's about to make you their bitch."

We need a fake Starbound ad mocked up to resemble those old Daikatana ads. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 05, 2016, 02:24:12 am »

Oh.
Wow.
I can see that rationality has disappeared from this thread.

I'll just uh.
I'll just leave now.

..sheesh.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 05, 2016, 03:00:14 am »

I can see that rationality has disappeared from this thread.

It's been out to lunch off and on for a long time.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1423 on: August 05, 2016, 04:07:59 am »

It would be fun to create the curriculum for a psychology course based entirely around this thread.

EDIT: Oh, and I finally beat the Erchius mine without cheating! It was a LOT easier after I got the double-jump tech which I somehow didn't realize I could get before. That and a stack of about 300 hunting spears.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:25:38 am by Sappho »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 05, 2016, 06:27:17 am »

It would be fun to create the curriculum for a psychology course based entirely around this thread.
It's really lacking as of this moment though. :P

EDIT: Oh, and I finally beat the Erchius mine without cheating! It was a LOT easier after I got the double-jump tech which I somehow didn't realize I could get before. That and a stack of about 300 hunting spears.
Umph ._. The early game is a killer for me. EVERYONE IS SO TOUGH and I don't have armor (so I die in 3-ish hits).
I found it annoying that when I beat the boss, the guy that usually 'drops' CAN GET KILLED from the minions that spawn. Not having any idea on what he says, I repeated the mission again because 'loldeaths on NPCs', and he just says...not-really-essential-details. >_>
But mostly what I just didn't like was the new hotbinding thing. I miss my keybindings, and how does this new one work? (Can't select from the bar by itself) T_T
* Tiruin high-fives Sappho for her awesomeness.
How do you get that tech? Outpost quests? ._.;

Also it seems villagers get mad if you...break their pots, but don't mind if you loot their chests and otherwise?
And they remember your face no matter how long you stay away, and I can't parley anymore!
At least they're limited to only those who got grumpy at you...
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 130