Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439278 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1470 on: August 06, 2016, 08:18:09 pm »

I'm not sure which farming is more effective at making money. Cacao, for it's stackability, no need for replanting, and hence possibilty for mass production, or neonmelon jam, which uses stackable sugar to upgrade a full inventory of neon melon to near double value (the jam is worth 465 bucks).

The downside of cacao that it needs more farming space to get the same profits as neon melon jam. The downside of the jam is that both neon melons and sugar need replanting. But selling a full inventory to the terramarket delivery for 4000 bucks is sweet.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: August 06, 2016, 08:43:37 pm »

Apparently so. It's in the mod collection I installed, although I didn't notice it in the list.

You know, it's weird that you can't subscribe to a collection. There are mods in it now that I don't have installed...

what mod collection did you get in starbound?
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 06, 2016, 08:53:37 pm »

I'm not sure which farming is more effective at making money. Cacao, for it's stackability, no need for replanting, and hence possibilty for mass production, or neonmelon jam, which uses stackable sugar to upgrade a full inventory of neon melon to near double value (the jam is worth 465 bucks).

The downside of cacao that it needs more farming space to get the same profits as neon melon jam. The downside of the jam is that both neon melons and sugar need replanting. But selling a full inventory to the terramarket delivery for 4000 bucks is sweet.

according to the wiki, neon melons dont need to be replanted. that should leave you with only the sugarcane replanting.

in tearms of yield the neon melon is worth even on its raw form. cocoa pods are worth only 20 and chocolate only 4. however, if you feel like investing, you could use chocolate to make banana split which is worth 725 pixels. honestly, its the most high money yield food made from chocolate. the rest is ranging in prices lower than the raw neonmelon.

of course, the jam will be easier to produce and doesnt require you to craft an aditional recipe (avesmingo ice cream) and have 2 extra fruit..

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: August 06, 2016, 08:55:44 pm »

Tiny query on farming since I'm unsure if it still works (and there's lacking space in my ship as of the moment [grr aiming to get HUMAN crew first as my silly priority :V]), but does submerging crops in water work for automatically wetting the tilled soil as before the 'version 1.0' came out?

Also wouldn't you have enough space by...around the 3rd ship upgrade? :P I've always found the later upgrades past the 3rd as 'this may be a lot more space than I probably need' thanks to being able to make SHIP LOCKERS ♥ when you're able to obtain dura-..."that material next to titanium"! ._. Happy 48 space on the wall, with the rest going to workshops and farming areas. \o/

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 06, 2016, 09:34:51 pm »

Apparently so. It's in the mod collection I installed, although I didn't notice it in the list.

You know, it's weird that you can't subscribe to a collection. There are mods in it now that I don't have installed...

Starbound+
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: August 06, 2016, 11:53:31 pm »

Using the firefly-class ship mod, now I need to recreate the crew.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: August 07, 2016, 02:13:03 am »

Starbound+

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:48:15 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: August 07, 2016, 02:48:20 am »

Does Starbound have any kind of crash log somewhere?

Installed Frackin' Universe last night, played it for a few hours without issues, but cannot load Starboud at all this morning. If I try to launch from Start Menu->Steam->Starbound, it opens and plays the Chucklefish logo, then closes. If I launch from the Steam LIbrary, I get the launcher to select Starbound/Dedicated Server/Mod Uploader/32 bit, at which selecting the default option (presumably 64 bit) will repeat the previous. Launching the starbound.exe in Win64 of the steamapps directory lets me actually get into the game, but FU didn't appear to be loaded: a bunch of stuff was waiting at the door to my cockpit, some of them green box "Generic Items" and attempting to access the SAIL unit crashed, referring to the Science Outpost map being unavailable.

Given I've made no changes to my computer (driver or OS updates, etc) since yesterday when I installed FU, and this morning, other than restarting, I'm somewhat confused about it.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: August 07, 2016, 02:53:13 am »

Does Starbound have any kind of crash log somewhere?

Installed Frackin' Universe last night, played it for a few hours without issues, but cannot load Starboud at all this morning. If I try to launch from Start Menu->Steam->Starbound, it opens and plays the Chucklefish logo, then closes. If I launch from the Steam LIbrary, I get the launcher to select Starbound/Dedicated Server/Mod Uploader/32 bit, at which selecting the default option (presumably 64 bit) will repeat the previous. Launching the starbound.exe in Win64 of the steamapps directory lets me actually get into the game, but FU didn't appear to be loaded: a bunch of stuff was waiting at the door to my cockpit, some of them green box "Generic Items" and attempting to access the SAIL unit crashed, referring to the Science Outpost map being unavailable.

Given I've made no changes to my computer (driver or OS updates, etc) since yesterday when I installed FU, and this morning, other than restarting, I'm somewhat confused about it.

there is currently a bug causing a crash on launch in Frackin Universe. One of the modders for it said it will be fixed in the morning

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: August 07, 2016, 02:58:59 am »

I did manage to find the log, and yeah, it seems to be an FU thing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks like its just a fairly innocent code-punctuation issue.

Still, strange that it worked last night. Maybe they pushed an update while I was playing that only downloaded this morning.

Hopefully I didn't screw myself over completely by loading the game from the .exe directly. I wasn't very far at all in terms of FU progression but I'd rather not lose the miscellaneous resources I'd picked up so far (especially the things that you need to kill for, like genetic material or venom samples, etc).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:00:42 am by Niveras »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: August 07, 2016, 03:35:50 am »

according to the wiki, neon melons dont need to be replanted. that should leave you with only the sugarcane replanting.

Don't take info from the wiki for granted. This game has a very bad wiki with outdated and outright wrong info. Neonmelons do need to be replanted.

in tearms of yield the neon melon is worth even on its raw form. cocoa pods are worth only 20 and chocolate only 4. however, if you feel like investing, you could use chocolate to make banana split which is worth 725 pixels. honestly, its the most high money yield food made from chocolate. the rest is ranging in prices lower than the raw neonmelon.
While neonmelon might be the most valuable crop, cacoa is stackable in inventory, so you could just plant huge rows of it, harvest it all in one go and sell the bulk.
Can't do that with neonmelon, because full inventory.
Ultimate juice is worth even more bucks than banana split but I didn't even consider it (or banana split) in my question because it needs 5 different fruits, making crafting it an inventory clusterfuck. Neonmelon jam is easy enough to craft though.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: August 07, 2016, 03:37:18 am »

There is a post with a quick fix solution for Frackin' Universe on the discussion page of the mod on steam workshop a couple pages back. Orrr you can just it yourself here.

Copy this into a text file named bees.treasurepools and put that file in your Starbound/assets/user/treasure  folder if you can't wait til in the morning.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 07, 2016, 04:00:48 am »

Tiny query on farming since I'm unsure if it still works (and there's lacking space in my ship as of the moment [grr aiming to get HUMAN crew first as my silly priority :V]), but does submerging crops in water work for automatically wetting the tilled soil as before the 'version 1.0' came out?

Well, the reefpods and coral creeps are growing on perpetually wet tilled soil underwater, but I haven't tried for land plants. No need, with the sprinkler system taking care of watering needs
Also wouldn't you have enough space by...around the 3rd ship upgrade? :P I've always found the later upgrades past the 3rd as 'this may be a lot more space than I probably need' thanks to being able to make SHIP LOCKERS ♥ when you're able to obtain dura-..."that material next to titanium"! ._. Happy 48 space on the wall, with the rest going to workshops and farming areas. \o/
I farm on a planet. And no, fully upgraded ship does not have enough space for all my farming needs, unless I only plant 2 of everything. I do have a small ultimate juice farm on the ship though for easy buff creation.

I't's a bit sad though, that once you can make ultimate juice, all other foods become moot. Except maybe the alien fruit recipes that give the slowfall buff.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 04:03:35 am by martinuzz »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 07, 2016, 05:21:52 am »

Well, the reefpods and coral creeps are growing on perpetually wet tilled soil underwater, but I haven't tried for land plants. No need, with the sprinkler system taking care of watering needs
I farm on a planet. And no, fully upgraded ship does not have enough space for all my farming needs, unless I only plant 2 of everything. I do have a small ultimate juice farm on the ship though for easy buff creation.

I't's a bit sad though, that once you can make ultimate juice, all other foods become moot. Except maybe the alien fruit recipes that give the slowfall buff.
I guess I'm in the 'unknowledgeable' area here then :) Thanks for the info! I didn't know about those technologies being available.
...Now if you can tell me about those ultimate food recipes, I'd love that too! :P

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: August 07, 2016, 05:44:51 am »

'ultimate juice' is a recipe that unlocks after you have unlocked recipes with it's ingredients.
EDIT: the wiki says it unlocks after crafting podest, which is made from currentcorn, diodia, neonmelon and boltbulb but like I said, the wiki isn't exactly trustworthy)

Boneboo, oculemon, feathercrown, toxictop and neonmelon.

It gives you all buffs except lightweight, thorns and nova (bonus health, bonus energy, run speed, jump boost, rage, well-fed)

EDIT: you gain access to sprinklers after upgrading your foraging table into an agricultural table.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:58:31 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 130