Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441167 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1575 on: August 10, 2016, 01:15:39 pm »

Like, they really want you to dig to the center of that first planet (i've never found 20 fragments in the starting mine, and must have started 10 times).  Why?  It is so arduous!

Really? I've never once failed to find enough shards in the starting mine and I've started over 4 times. I guess it is really random chance.

I didn't get enough from the mine either - I was 2 short, so I also had to dig to the core. (I even double-checked to make sure I hadn't missed any)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: August 10, 2016, 01:35:14 pm »

Farming is particularly bad, since there is zero information in game to tell you how to grow some of the more unusual plants. Like the coral one, which specifically needs to be planted on tilled ground under 4 tiles worth of water.

they are called reefpod and coralcreep. and they are found in the ocean, someone would have to be really dumb for not growing them underwater.
You can get the seeds from things other than other the water. Questgivers will give them to you without telling you what they are for example. They can also show up in chests.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: August 10, 2016, 01:36:20 pm »

My colonists have been giving me all kinds of weird seeds that I know nothing about.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: August 10, 2016, 01:38:08 pm »

Like, they really want you to dig to the center of that first planet (i've never found 20 fragments in the starting mine, and must have started 10 times).  Why?  It is so arduous!

Really? I've never once failed to find enough shards in the starting mine and I've started over 4 times. I guess it is really random chance.

I didn't get enough from the mine either - I was 2 short, so I also had to dig to the core. (I even double-checked to make sure I hadn't missed any)

Yeah, I just restarted again because of FU and I have several dozens of crates in my inventory (because removing them with the mattemanippelator is faster and you're in dire need of storage in the early game anyway) and only 18 core fragments.

It sucks.
Love, scriver~

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: August 10, 2016, 01:40:20 pm »

Farming is particularly bad, since there is zero information in game to tell you how to grow some of the more unusual plants. Like the coral one, which specifically needs to be planted on tilled ground under 4 tiles worth of water.

they are called reefpod and coralcreep. and they are found in the ocean, someone would have to be really dumb for not growing them underwater.
You can get the seeds from things other than other the water. Questgivers will give them to you without telling you what they are for example. They can also show up in chests.

my point still exist, they have ocean related names. that should be enough clue about where to put them...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: August 10, 2016, 01:46:44 pm »

I finally got a game with enough.  Deleted everything in the player and universe folder so that FU could fully make a new universe, and started on a world that had a really sprawling mine.   found 26 in total.

In the future I'll just spawn the things in.

someone who is looking for more of the same kind of generic survival crafting game that there is already a giant flood of, where you craft tools with sticks and strings. 

What you say might be true, but I stand my my comment.  The sticks and strings style crafting is hugely popular, and there is a lot of demand for more "survival" games that offer it. 

I'm not a huge fan, but I do play Cataclysm DDA every so often and I totally get the attraction.  It isn't a bad format but, I'm hopeful that I can find enough mods to make it into something a little different.  a little more sci-fi.

As for internal consistency and the ability to give it to a beginner, as you say, that is probably impossible.  I can get through some problems that beginners would have because I can read the various wikis and redit threads, and cheat to get around problems.  I don't think that is something you can ask a casual player to do.

In short, whomever said this was like Stardew in space has their pants on fire.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: August 10, 2016, 03:03:29 pm »

In short, whomever said this was like Stardew in space has their pants on fire.

Hey, man, if it's not Stardew in space why did it give me this achievement!???!

Still waiting for that romance option to show up. :P

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: August 10, 2016, 03:07:10 pm »

What do you think those random NPCs and crew members who follow you around for no reason are doing?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: August 10, 2016, 03:10:13 pm »

What do you think those random NPCs and crew members who follow you around for no reason are doing?

Closing doors in my face and flipping switches to shut off all my power generators.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: August 10, 2016, 03:11:02 pm »

Closing doors in my face and flipping switches to shut off all my power generators.
Sounds like a spouse to me.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: August 10, 2016, 03:32:38 pm »

Everyone knows that romance consists of doing a quest or two and then sex #thewitcher. I mean, is the ship supposed to represent sex??? :P

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: August 10, 2016, 03:48:58 pm »

Everyone knows that romance consists of doing a quest or two and then sex #thewitcher. I mean, is the ship supposed to represent sex??? :P
You'll have to ask Commander Shepard about sex and ships.

As far as I'm aware, the inhabitants of the Starbound universe breed via moving blue lines that appear out of nowhere.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1587 on: August 10, 2016, 04:27:00 pm »

Regarding the game not holding your hand and teaching you how to do everything: I agree it can be frustrating, and I've definitely had some rage-y moments over something that should have been made clear. On the other hand, Minecraft never tells you how to do anything and it's one of the most popular and successful games out there. Just some food for thought.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: August 10, 2016, 05:22:21 pm »

Sure, but fun as minecraft is I don't think 'leave it to the wiki' is a good lesson to learn from it. I've never found tabbing out from a game to go look up stuff in a wiki to add to the game's appeal, personally. And most modpacks that I've played use NEI for a reason so...

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: August 10, 2016, 05:31:42 pm »

I got to the core!

Not because I needed fragments though, no no.  Rather because I was looking for Tungsten that didn't exist on the planet.  Haha.

Didn't realize you can zoom-out the navigation map, and travel around your starsystem without using fuel.  Could have found a planet with tungsten on it if I had just done that...

Oh well.  Got a ton of resources now.

On those scanning missions, do I have to scan specific things?  Or just anything?  I've scanned a ton of stuff, and the progress bar has not grown by a pixel.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 130