Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441188 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1860 on: November 14, 2016, 03:33:56 pm »

Needless aggression, check.
Alright, it's a wrap everyone. See you in a month or two.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: November 26, 2016, 01:46:37 am »

So who still plays this?

I'm going through the campaign, and it's pretty interesting so far.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: November 26, 2016, 04:32:29 am »

i still spend a few hours a week on it

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: November 26, 2016, 11:51:45 am »

I just started playing again with a friend. It haven't played since it was in early access so it is neat to see all the changes.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: November 28, 2016, 05:09:15 pm »

Picked it back up about a week and a half ago, and haven't been able to put it down since. The content is pretty darned acceptable for a complete game, however long the road was, and Frackin' Universe, while I don't agree with all of the additions and changes to balance, adds enough to keep you really busy.

I work on my fledgling colony when I want to unwind on my casual character, and otherwise play exclusively hardcore. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: December 15, 2016, 04:52:12 pm »

Players who have completed the main storyline can visit a mysterious trader on the Outpost who will send them on a quest to activate and enter the Ancient Gateways found floating in some systems
These gateways provide access to Ancient Vaults: challenging procedural dungeons left by the ancients, filled with dangerous guardians (including procedural bosses!) and fantastic lost technologies

Ugh. I don't want to finish the main storyline. It's a boring pile of poo.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: December 15, 2016, 05:14:17 pm »

Oh. Well that's nice, FU already updated... Think I might take the game for another spin, see what's happened lately.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: December 16, 2016, 12:00:09 am »

post engame additions (ancient vaults and ancient weapons) as well as procedural bosses that can be taken on.  What id like to see now is perhaps intergrating new ideas from the beginning to midgame, making colonies more diverse and a few others

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: December 16, 2016, 08:15:14 am »

post engame additions (ancient vaults and ancient weapons) as well as procedural bosses that can be taken on.  What id like to see now is perhaps intergrating new ideas from the beginning to midgame, making colonies more diverse and a few others

Agreed. Just glancing over the list, I definitely don't see anything that would get me playing again. I bounced out right after starting the hyoltl quest, and the only thing it looks like that would change my experience at that point is elemental damage being rebalanced.

Full patch notes are here: http://playstarbound.com/starbound-vault-update/, main updates in spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:21:47 am by Oneir »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: December 16, 2016, 09:34:47 am »

That sounds really cool for people who enjoy building things. Personally I'm not into that, so I think I'll hold off on going back to this game until they release an update that's all about improving the core fighting and platforming mechanics, making enemies more interesting, etc.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: December 27, 2016, 09:44:04 pm »

Huh, just checked up the recent update and there seems to be an achievement on steam for...PvPing someone else? O_o

Wonder if anyone is hosting a Bay12 server (moreso for adventure and funtime) lately though. I'd like to try out multiplayer given my (still spotty) internet.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: December 31, 2016, 11:05:12 am »

Huh, just checked up the recent update and there seems to be an achievement on steam for...PvPing someone else? O_o

Wonder if anyone is hosting a Bay12 server (moreso for adventure and funtime) lately though. I'd like to try out multiplayer given my (still spotty) internet.

Yeah, I also sometimes wish someone would host a server at some point.
Sure players will come and go eventually, but I bet there are those here whom want a place to visit and play with others once in a while.

edit: While on topic of servers.. What sort of mods would work client side?
I know mere texture and music replacers/additions would only be seen/heard on my own computer.
But would GUI changes lock me out from servers that doesn't have them?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 11:22:37 am by Ultimuh »

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: February 11, 2017, 12:06:00 pm »

Next update promises more interesting and varied space exploration:
Quote from: Starbound
Space isn’t just about stars and planets, it’s about the space between them, so you’ll now be able to fly freely around systems and explore all kinds of new locations, from space stations to traveling merchant ships to mysterious derelicts! Systems won’t just be static, either — moons orbit planets, planets orbit stars, and rich opportunities come and go, rewarding patient explorers with brand new perils and plunder!

Their mockup of the new travel interface is potentially interesting? It could be satisfying in practice, but there's nothing that says you need a little moving spaceship mode to visit new kinds of environments. "Rich opportunities come and go" implies you might need to be looking out for things, and in the right system (or the right place in the right system?) at the right time. Hopefully they'll add better features for scouting other stars and finding those opportunities.

I also hope that they don't lock the mechs to the post-game like they did terraforming in the last update. I keep bouncing off of the early/mid game so post-game content does nothing for me personally. Also -- I would definitely play a game where one of the archetypes was mech pilot or drone jockey or whatever. Not saying that's where they're going with this update, but I like the concept.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: February 11, 2017, 01:13:38 pm »

The interface reminded me of Star Control, which is cool and all, but I know it won't really have the depth they're trying to hype. There's already mobility mechs and tons of interesting stuff in Frackin' Universe, and I can't escape a nagging suspicion that this will just be less interesting copies of that.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: February 11, 2017, 02:47:27 pm »

I do not like the way Starbound handles endgame content.

The main storyline is very tedious. It's only ever even slightly manageable for me to endure once. So even though the rest of the gameplay is fun and still can provide a progression system without the storyline, new content is locked behind extreme tedium for me.

But this does look pretty cool. Not to be negative, but wasn't something like this planned early on as the final interface where the current once was supposed to be a placeholder?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:49:52 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 130