Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491565 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #540 on: April 20, 2016, 03:21:18 pm »

Good, naval was incredibly weak in previous total war games.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 20, 2016, 08:38:52 pm »

This may not be terribly relevant to this particular game, but The world of Warhammer is Terra in 40k?

And all that on Warhammer is taking place 39 1/2 thousand years before 40k?

Its a continuim?  Or just a loose basis?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 20, 2016, 09:02:19 pm »

This may not be terribly relevant to this particular game, but The world of Warhammer is Terra in 40k?

And all that on Warhammer is taking place 39 1/2 thousand years before 40k?

Its a continuim?  Or just a loose basis?

different universes. Originally 40k began as kind of what-if for fantasy, but became wildly successful.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 20, 2016, 09:42:05 pm »

There's overlap. Sigmar is the Emperor, and the Slann come from space in Fantasy and have a role in the history of 40k. And the orks and goblins are orks and gretchins  and chaos is chaos, but officially they're just analogous; they aren't currently considered to be the same thing in terms of canon, and weren't even before the Age of Sigmar stuff.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 20, 2016, 09:50:57 pm »

Will there be awesome naval battles?

Since the only naval combat that's been properly portrayed in WH was Man'O'War, probably not. I'm not even sure when it was meant to be timeline-wise, but I think it's probably more in the Bloodbowl-style offshoot universe than being canonically correct. Man'O'War was kind of weird.
It's a game. Have fun.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 20, 2016, 10:01:44 pm »

Y'all might be interested to know that Man o' War is being revived as a video game. I don't know if it's good or shit, but it's in early access for anyone willing to shell out to find out. I haven't heard much on the grapevine, it seems to be getting less attention than Battlefleet: Gothic.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 20, 2016, 10:20:56 pm »

Will there be awesome naval battles?

Since the only naval combat that's been properly portrayed in WH was Man'O'War, probably not. I'm not even sure when it was meant to be timeline-wise, but I think it's probably more in the Bloodbowl-style offshoot universe than being canonically correct. Man'O'War was kind of weird.

I have to say--for the ambition of this game and the scope of the universe there is a questionable and in a very real, slimy-businessmen sense, lack of content. Lack of factions. There's plenty of factions which are are fairly unique in WHF. Lack of naval combat. Again, while maybe not that well-depicted, a wealth (a fucking wealth) of unique factions/units. Everything that IS there seems to be very same-y in terms of mechanics and frankly the devs just seem to be focusing on how the game LOOKS and generating hype.

As creator of some of my favorite games ever, I want to give Creative Assembly a chance, but... It's getting increasingly difficult for me to consider new TW games as anything more than poor, money-grubbing imitations of former glory.

EDIT: Also their newly... evolved business model is beginning to generate a bit of an EA hatred feeling.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:22:57 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 20, 2016, 10:23:53 pm »

People have been saying good things about the "Man O War" game. You sail from port to port doing jobs for people and trading cargo or participating in races. I have thought of making a thread about it but the game is really rather bare bones at the moment so I was waiting a bit. Combat has boarding and broadsides with attacks from Orc ships with giant grapple claws, empire ships with cannon towers or single massive cannons and giant sharks. It's a bit like Mount and Blade in that regard. You can also buy new ships and choose which faction you are allied with by doing jobs for them.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 20, 2016, 11:19:14 pm »

Does it have big, spinny, scythe blades on the top of chaos vessels to wreck stuff with? MoW had heaps of whacky vessels in it (yes, think Whacky Races on water in a way).
It's a game. Have fun.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 21, 2016, 12:09:43 am »

Does it have big, spinny, scythe blades on the top of chaos vessels to wreck stuff with? MoW had heaps of whacky vessels in it (yes, think Whacky Races on water in a way).

I would assume it would be added at some point. As I mentioned it's rather bare bones at the moment so I would suggest watching some videos on YouTube showing off the game. Here's a series of videos done by "SplatterCatGaming" that show missions, combat and the ship buying system.

Another interesting feature is that you actually play as a person, not as the ship. So you can upgrade your characters weapons and walk about on the deck of your ship.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 21, 2016, 12:54:46 am »

I remember old Chaos supplement to Warhammer Fantasy, where there was a random Gifts of Chaos table for champions. You could get bolters, plasma guns and other such weapons from it with a lucky roll. I always thought the Fantasy Warhamster was taking place on a planet in a warp pocket, cut off from ordinary time and space and degenerated in technology.

I thought it was a cool explanation, but yeah, then they started taking themselves too seriously and Warhamster lost lots of cool things in favor of oh-so-serious-wannabe-fascism-that-gives-teenage-boys-erections. I suppose it sells better.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 21, 2016, 01:14:33 am »

they started taking themselves too seriously and Warhamster lost lots of cool things in favor of oh-so-serious-wannabe-fascism-that-gives-teenage-boys-erections. I suppose it sells better.
Uhh... you might want to see what they've done with Warhammer.

It'll probably shock you a little. Before you ask what I'm talking about just do a quick google. You can't miss it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 21, 2016, 09:29:21 am »

I have to say--for the ambition of this game and the scope of the universe there is a questionable and in a very real, slimy-businessmen sense, lack of content. Lack of factions. There's plenty of factions which are are fairly unique in WHF. Lack of naval combat. Again, while maybe not that well-depicted, a wealth (a fucking wealth) of unique factions/units. Everything that IS there seems to be very same-y in terms of mechanics and frankly the devs just seem to be focusing on how the game LOOKS and generating hype.
Is this referring to Total War or Man 'O War? Either way, making factions that are not just "humans with different clothes" is not something that is easy or cheap. I don't support the whole Day1 DLC thing, mind, but either we have DLC adding factions or we'll be stuck with the initial ones.

I don't think CA has even talked about naval combat, so there could be, or there could not.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 21, 2016, 12:37:05 pm »

I always thought the Fantasy Warhamster was taking place on a planet in a warp pocket, cut off from ordinary time and space and degenerated in technology.
This was true at one point.

I don't think CA has even talked about naval combat, so there could be, or there could not.
They said not at launch.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 21, 2016, 12:42:10 pm »

Never even heard of Man o' War until the other day when I saw the computer game on Steam's front page, and now folks are talking about it here. Huh.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 277