Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491443 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #615 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:14 am »

Honestly, I feel GW is mostly just covering their ass with the modding restrictions. If somebody makes a lotr mod and the Tolkien foundation takes issue, their hands are pre-washed on the issue.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 17, 2016, 10:52:26 am »

What happens if a siege tower encounters enemy infantry though? Does it stand still, or does it plow through and push the puny people out of the way? And can regular melee infantry even damage the tower?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 17, 2016, 11:02:34 am »

Have there been shown defending troops being able to move outside their walls in any videos?
Love, scriver~

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 17, 2016, 11:21:51 am »

From previous games, siege towers cannot hurt units by rolling over them, they simply push them aside. Infantry could attack siege weapons in Medieval 2 and I think in Rome 2 but it's much easier to use fire arrows. Higher level siege towers in Rome 2 could have scorpions on top to fire at the walls as they move forwards, I don't know if that's in Warhammer: Total War.

The player can move units  outside of the walls, and I would assume deploy them outside as well if they've got that ambushing trait. Whether the A.I. can, I would assume so but I don't think it's something that has popped up. It'll be interesting whether the A.I. does this with flying units that can fly over the walls without opening the gates and risking enemies going through.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 17, 2016, 12:00:31 pm »

What happens if a siege tower encounters enemy infantry though? Does it stand still, or does it plow through and push the puny people out of the way? And can regular melee infantry even damage the tower?
In Medieval 2, units wouldn't actually board the tower while they pushed it so you could intercept them as they pushed it along.

In Rome 2 if your unit size was small everyone would be inside the tower and you couldn't stop it. Though, I'm not too sure, but I think you can actually burn it and other siege engines down just like with gates. If your unit size was massive, you'd have a few guys sitting outside the tower and you could attack those guys to stop it.

In Warhammer, it seems units are all inside the tower. No clue how to stop it but I suspect it's the same as before.

------------

One thing to note is that this game seems to have lower system requirements than the previous few in the series. Probably because they dropped the whole "1v1 duels" thing they started doing since Shogun 2. Now it's back to the massive clusterfuck that is Medieval 2.

I noticed that the guys on Yogscast were playing the game on Ultra even though they were using 780ti's.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 17, 2016, 12:24:23 pm »

1v1s were kind of silly.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 17, 2016, 12:25:15 pm »

1v1s were kind of silly.
Yeah. It made sense in Shogun 2 because honestly, that's what they did back then in Feudal Japan.

But in Rome 2? It was kinda dumb.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 17, 2016, 08:47:45 pm »

While I'm mostly glad they've done away with duel animations, it would have been awesome if they kept them for heroes and monsters.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 17, 2016, 08:50:12 pm »

Challenges are a thing, idk why they didnt add in hero challenges.

But then again that sounds like prime DLC material.  And the ai needs to be made to use it in a not-terrible manner.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 17, 2016, 09:16:56 pm »

It sort of worked in Mark of Chaos. Though the Lords there were built around the concept of duels.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 17, 2016, 09:52:39 pm »

Nuuvem completely refuses to allow you to buy this game even with a VPN. Apparently they stepped up their game and now check for your credit card address as well as your paypal address. So unless both are in South America, you can't buy Total Warhammer from them.

Not that I was trying to preorder or anything. I mean, I never preorder stuff what are you talking about.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 17, 2016, 10:19:46 pm »

It sort of worked in Mark of Chaos. Though the Lords there were built around the concept of duels.

I found the duelling system in Mark of Chaos split my focus to winning either the duel or the army battle. Generals had abilities that kind of countered each other from what I remember with a short stun and one that bolstered your next attack or similar things. I spent the duels clicking random buttons as there didn't seem to be much difference between them but focusing on that meant I wasn't ordering my units around.

There's still animations for some units defeating others. Giants pick up and bite the heads off infantry, Vargulf's slam guys into the ground. Louen Leoncoeur, in the Bretonnia siege video, leapt onto and stabbed a Crypt Horror. There was also the Arachnarok spider eating a soldier and spitting out the sword and shield afterwards.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 18, 2016, 02:59:49 am »

If all guys are inside the siege towers, how the fuck do they move? Lots and lots of bicycles inside? Well, maybe for orcish towers.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 18, 2016, 03:30:44 am »

If all guys are inside the siege towers, how the fuck do they move? Lots and lots of bicycles inside? Well, maybe for orcish towers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 18, 2016, 03:44:20 am »

In Medieval 2, units wouldn't actually board the tower while they pushed it so you could intercept them as they pushed it along.

In Rome 2 if your unit size was small everyone would be inside the tower and you couldn't stop it. Though, I'm not too sure, but I think you can actually burn it and other siege engines down just like with gates. If your unit size was massive, you'd have a few guys sitting outside the tower and you could attack those guys to stop it.

In Warhammer, it seems units are all inside the tower. No clue how to stop it but I suspect it's the same as before.

So for the siege towers, apart from getting your units to damage it a bit with their torch mechanic, putting dudes outside the gates doesn't help that much? Though maybe if you can get another 'large' unit out there (steam tank, ogre, stuff like that) it can block the way and prevent a tower from advancing.

One thing to note is that this game seems to have lower system requirements than the previous few in the series. Probably because they dropped the whole "1v1 duels" thing they started doing since Shogun 2. Now it's back to the massive clusterfuck that is Medieval 2.
I noticed that the guys on Yogscast were playing the game on Ultra even though they were using 780ti's.

While I kinda liked the duel thing in shogun 2, removing it means i might be able to play this thing on my laptop! So that's good (since the other game I wanted to play, battlefleet gothic armada, probably can't run).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 277