Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491539 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #870 on: May 29, 2016, 07:04:16 pm »

So what's the verdict on this game? Well executed???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 29, 2016, 08:28:30 pm »

So what's the verdict on this game? Well executed???

Thanks Umiman for the magic mods :) Magic in vanilla is kinda weak unless you lower the unit size. I never play total war on anything but the biggest :P

As for the quoted post...

I really enjoy it so far. I haven't gotten too far into any campaign, mostly doing custom battles for practice and learning. However, I LOVE the vampires in the campaign. They can be played slow, taking the time for corruption and building up. Or they can be offensive, which works okay too. Every faction is really unique, which I like a lot. Even though only 5 factions, each one is unique in its own way.

The AI also seems really good. At least, its definitely a lot harder. A big part is because of the heroes/lords. Even on normal battle mode, I often get surprised by how bad I do against AI. Rome 2, I just pwned all the time, way too easy. Get a bunch of elephants and win every battle and siege lol. Attila was a bit harder, but mostly cause of immortal stupid unrealistic, very gamey unhistorical attila. I didn't like total war attila either if you can tell by that :P Chaos is similar to Huns if you played Attila but not so bullshit, at least they (and the other lords) make sense they are OP and immortal, lore wise.

Game map already feels pretty good sized, I was kinda worried it feel small with only 5 playable factions. And they are gonna add a lot more than what is already available. The game map that is available now, it looks AMAZING. At least to me it does. They did a good job on the campaign map.

As I see it, vast improvement over Rome 2 and massive improvement over Attila (attila total war for me was worse than rome 2). I haven't run into any noticeable bugs, things feel great, its a lot of fun and AI is a lot harder in battles. Medieval 2 total war was actually my previous favorite total war, and I actually like this just as much, but might edge out just a bit as "fantasy" opens up to a lot more possibilities than historical stuff (like magic and flying units etc).

Oh, and it performs great too. Rome 2 lagged for me, Attila played pretty good...but it performs better than both for me.

Only a couple things I have an issue with

Agents. Holy shit are those as bullshit as Attila is in Attila Total War. At least mods fix that :P But they need to balance agents

And some units seem like they need balancing. Some feel kinda useless. Like...the black chariot I think its called for the vampires. It doesn't do anything as far as i can tell and dies quick. Its supposed to get stronger as it kills things, but a waste of resources when all my other units are way better. maybe I just don't use their chariots properly, dunno, but they seem like a lackluster unit. It doesn't seem to even charge through units, like chariots did in Rome 2 when playing as egypt or do anything as far as I could see.

Plus, magic needs to be buffed. Mods are coming out for that now, but it should be buffed without mods. Haven't fully tested the ones Umiman recommended. But my mages actually kill stuff now when I tried Empire.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:37:33 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 29, 2016, 10:06:30 pm »

And some units seem like they need balancing. Some feel kinda useless. Like...the black chariot I think its called for the vampires. It doesn't do anything as far as i can tell and dies quick. Its supposed to get stronger as it kills things, but a waste of resources when all my other units are way better. maybe I just don't use their chariots properly, dunno, but they seem like a lackluster unit. It doesn't seem to even charge through units, like chariots did in Rome 2 when playing as egypt or do anything as far as I could see.

It either gets stronger as a match goes on, or as things die, because I've seen it wreck Chaos Chosen at times.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 29, 2016, 10:19:05 pm »

It either gets stronger as a match goes on, or as things die, because I've seen it wreck Chaos Chosen at times.

ah. I might just have not really been using it properly then. Should I just let it sit back behind the battle? But, close enough for it to "harvest corpses" (which is what I imagine it does). Because sending it straight into fighting, at least early on, it gets destroyed fast. Maybe thats not even how its supposed to be used.

One thing with vampires. Wow do I wreck empire during sieges against AI (granted its normal battle since not interested in "bullet sponge" difficulty on the battle map, don't like that in FPS or RPGs either. I am playing on hard campaign though. Figured for my first real campaign, hard was good enough since I'm doing normal battles). Out in the field, I have a harder time (but probably just gotta learn). But when I siege an empire settlement, my flying units wreck them. I destroy the defenders on the walls as my land troops take some damage from towers, go right past the walls and lay some serious damage. Then I pull back my flying units before any get too hurt, and my undead troops move forward and clean up.

In custom battles on "hard" difficulty, I still do really good against Empire during sieges, just as good as normal really as vampire, just takes longer.

When I play Empire in custom battles, I do good defending against greenskins in siege mode. One my first custom siege battle against them today, though partly that was cause my mages are a lot better now with the magic mods. But the mages were way too weak before since I had unit sizes at max size. Out in the field though, its harder. But vampires wreck, not sure how to counter them playing Empire. If I have troops defending the walls, the flying units just wreck me (like I do to Empire when I'm Vampires). I keep trying to figure out how to properly win as Empire, and I've gotten pretty good against Greenskins, but Vampires are really tough.

Maybe the trick is to consolidate all my forces into a small area, so the flying units can't get me as easily and my ranged units and my mages can focus more on the flying troops than all spread out. I'll probably try that later tonight.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:24:15 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 29, 2016, 10:24:49 pm »

ah. I might just have not really been using it properly then. Should I just let it sit back behind the battle? But, close enough for it to "harvest corpses" (which is what I imagine it does). Because sending it straight into fighting, at least early on, it gets destroyed fast. Maybe thats not even how its supposed to be used.

I wouldn't know either, but I know it does get stronger somehow as I've seen it route to goblins before early in a match, but later on somehow destroy elite troops like nothing. It's certainly one of the least explained units to say the least.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 29, 2016, 10:31:31 pm »

Don't know about this game itself, but in the tabletop black coaches have a chance to get stronger each magic phase. I suspect in this game it may be tied to however strong the winds of magic are. Maybe it grows stronger the longer it goes, and how fast and how strong based on winds?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 29, 2016, 11:08:38 pm »

Black Coach:
Evocation of Death: The black chariot feeds on magical energy that bolsters its resistance and strengthens its charge

That is what the "abilities" tool tip reads and if you look on the warhammer wiki it talks about how it feeds of the energy of sorcerers.

But if you look at the description in the stats window (click the golden arrow on the bottom right) it says "In amongst the chaos of the fight, Black Coaches build strength, Becoming more powerful as its enemies fall"

So its pretty much ambiguous as could ever be imaginable but it seems to either feed off spells being cast (ally spells? Enemy spells? Its own spells?) OR enemies being killed...no idea though as I have not really played with them much.

From what I can tell...at the start its primarily an aura/buffing/debuffing unit...sort of like a mage except all its abilities are self cast only. But later in the fight it becomes powerful like a strong cavalry unit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:12:35 pm by dennislp3 »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 29, 2016, 11:57:54 pm »

I think it's a split on how it works on the tabletop (where the larger unit descriptions come from) and how it works in the game. On the tabletop the Black Coach absorbs magic dice from mages nearby and gains abilities from this. In the game it seems more like a chariot with 3 abilities to bolster its charges and defences but using one puts all 3 abilities on cooldown for around 90 seconds. The abilities are:
Black Nimbus: Increase magic 44%/missile 22%/physical 22% resistance and gains strider (unaffected by terrain penalties for 21 seconds.
Black Scythes: Charge speed 18%, charge bonus 36% and speed 24% increased for 31 seconds.
Unholy vigour: Increase melee attack by +34 and melee defence by +60 for 40 seconds.

Playing some custom battles with the coach, it doesn't seem to change when spells are cast nearby, nor do it's stats change as it gains kills, at least up to 100. The buffs and terror are very nice for breaking units from rear charges, though like all units in Warhammer I've noticed, it tires quickly and slows down because of this.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 30, 2016, 09:19:53 am »

This game sounds so, so very awesome. I need to get a gaming PC. :'(   

Edit: Well, it would be a lot more awesome if you were able to customize your army/armies.
Hopefully that is added at some point, seems silly that it isn't possible.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 30, 2016, 09:33:35 am »

I really hate the gods damned Norse. Whenever I try to turn my attention back to the Empire or Dwarves now that Archaon has been defeated forever I get a taste of what his invasion was like as a bunch of viking lunatics sweep into my realm to raze my settlements.

I've decided to launch a war to exterminate them once and for all. The hard part isn't beating them in fights, my armies are far superior, it's walking through their territory with no way to recover my losses unless I march all the way back to Troll Country. Even so I should be able to burn everything down in my latest assault. I have 2.5 armies all lead by powerful Lords shuffling forwards so they stay in reinforcement range of each other.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 30, 2016, 09:44:07 am »

I really hate the gods damned Norse. Whenever I try to turn my attention back to the Empire or Dwarves now that Archaon has been defeated forever I get a taste of what his invasion was like as a bunch of viking lunatics sweep into my realm to raze my settlements.

I've decided to launch a war to exterminate them once and for all. The hard part isn't beating them in fights, my armies are far superior, it's walking through their territory with no way to recover my losses unless I march all the way back to Troll Country. Even so I should be able to burn everything down in my latest assault. I have 2.5 armies all lead by powerful Lords shuffling forwards so they stay in reinforcement range of each other.

Do you not have access to the encamp stance? That would let me recover troops in enemy/attrition causing territory, last I checked.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 30, 2016, 10:18:49 am »

Do you not have access to the encamp stance? That would let me recover troops in enemy/attrition causing territory, last I checked.

I do have the Vampire version, but from what I remember of the last time I used it I still suffer attrition while using it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 30, 2016, 11:31:24 am »

Is this irony?

My greenskin long campaign is winding down.  All the tribes are united, the difficult battles are mostly past aside from maybe the chaos boyz up north, now it's just grinding north through the wastelands we've created to take the last few dwarfholds and finish off the Empire.

Of all the objectives, killing the dwarves, killing the empire, taking all the dwarfholds, the hardest one ends up being Raiding Gold, just because we've trashed the world so thoroughly it's gonna take a concerted effort to find anything worth stealing.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 30, 2016, 11:45:56 am »

I do have the Vampire version, but from what I remember of the last time I used it I still suffer attrition while using it.
If you are in the raiding stance you don't get attrition.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 30, 2016, 12:13:31 pm »

Is this irony?

My greenskin long campaign is winding down.  All the tribes are united, the difficult battles are mostly past aside from maybe the chaos boyz up north, now it's just grinding north through the wastelands we've created to take the last few dwarfholds and finish off the Empire.

Of all the objectives, killing the dwarves, killing the empire, taking all the dwarfholds, the hardest one ends up being Raiding Gold, just because we've trashed the world so thoroughly it's gonna take a concerted effort to find anything worth stealing.

I know dem feels, except currently on VHard with the greenies I am having a Very rough time killing chaos. Went 3 v 3 against chaos armies, failed- managed to lightning strike and kill one with grimgor, then went 3 v 2 against the remaining armies and got shredded.

I've had to build a kustom kaos killin army just so that I can deal with that weird convo of armored frontliners/unarmored monstrous creatures/unbreakable artillery. However the 13 turns it takes to hire them all tanked my fightiness and there ain't no killin to be found south of the chaos wastes.

Thankfully under tunnels travel is still cheese.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 277