Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491372 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #915 on: June 02, 2016, 12:03:42 pm »

Yup. Playing as the VCs, and my initial Varghulf goes from full health to barely a sliver of health if I so much as dare autoresolve anything, even if it is against an orc hold with a garrison of nothing but goblins.

EDIT: As the vampires, should I swap all my skeletons for grave guard if I got the upkeep to sustain them? Or do I keep some disposable fodder?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:56:34 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: June 02, 2016, 04:20:29 pm »

With orcs I found there wasn't enough space in my armies for fodder, so before long my line troops were all savage orc big'uns and black orcs, with maybe a couple night goblin archer fanatics.  The premium on army space was a harder limit than the money.
Shoes...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: June 02, 2016, 05:04:41 pm »

Yeah, Grave Guard are so much better than Skeletons and Zombies that once you can use them you should just stop using Skeletons and Zombies as anything other than last minute reanimations to fill out a damaged army. Personally I use modded in foot Blood Knights and drafted Sylvanian archers as the bulk of my infantry now.

The Dwarves are now extinct in my VC game. A long hunt through the badlands and mountains of the southeast saw the last of them ferreted out and slain. The Dwarves I has as my allies betrayed me before the war was through. I had been neglecting to bribe them, and their aversion to me got the better of them. The Empire and I razed their two settlements to the ground.

With all but the Empire dead, I decided the time had come to strike. I have laid siege to Altdorf and captured two settlements of the Empire in my initial strike. I am the larger of the two of us, but I paid the Empire so much money in the past to turn them against the Dwarves that I suspect their economy is more or less ironclad. Nevertheless, between their soldiers being inferior to that of the Dwarves and my warriors being backed by flying monsters I dare say I should win any fight where I'm not outnumbered four armies to one.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: June 02, 2016, 05:10:08 pm »

Well, I seem to be at a point in the campaign where I can't do much other than just sit and wait. Public order outside Sylvania is pretty damn low, which is not helped by everyone at peace with me (even those I have never interacted with, like the Border Princes) keeps sending heroes to lower it. The moment I move my armies out I'll have rebels sniping all non-capital settlements.

Not a lot to do but watch Karl Franz go back and forth to fight the WoC while taking attrition.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:12:02 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 02, 2016, 05:18:36 pm »

I'd suggest getting the mod that disables AI hero actions.  The hero system was never very good and in this one it's just obnoxious.
Shoes...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 02, 2016, 05:31:16 pm »

I'd suggest getting the mod that disables AI hero actions.  The hero system was never very good and in this one it's just obnoxious.
I'm using the one that disables assassinations, but not for the player (since that breaks some quests, though I only know of Sigvald's).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 02, 2016, 05:38:38 pm »

I'm using the one that disables assassinations, but not for the player (since that breaks some quests, though I only know of Sigvald's).

I am sort of reminded of one of the Total wars where the difficulty system actually changed the starting army layout of the factions (HEY game developers... Difficulty changing layouts? WHAT A NOVEL IDEA FROM OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO!) and on the hardest mode they all got super assassins that would massacre you if you pissed them off.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 02, 2016, 06:18:59 pm »

Eh, in the 'FreeLC coming' it mentions a new unit, and the image is the vampire counts, so I assume that blood knights are going to be it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: June 03, 2016, 03:35:05 am »

I was chilling about on my legendary Vampire Counts run. Taking it slow. Pushing back Chaos, conquering the lands of man, the usual. When all of a sudden this asshole Greenskin by the name of Azhag the Slaughterer and his asshole buddy attack the rear of my lands in a sneak attack. They brought 3600 orks against my undefended lands.

In a panic, I rouse up a Vampire lord and get him to raise as many troops (read: zombies) as possible before he attacks me.

A few turns later Azhag attacks my walled village and I'm going.... how exactly am I going to fend off 3600 orks with an army of zombies? And even Azhag is there.

Spoiler: O Gork. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: O MORK. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: I wanna go 'ome... (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 03, 2016, 08:00:29 am »

lol impressive use of zombies...I love the VC...probably the most unique and fun to play of the bunch

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: June 03, 2016, 08:48:37 am »

Empire campaign so far is seeming rather difficult. I took Nuln early on for the sweet benefits, but it's causing me some issues now with the brettonians and middenheim going to war with me.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 03, 2016, 10:45:23 am »

Mmmyeah. I'm still having the exact same performance issues, and from the looks of it, plenty of others are too. There are as many explanations-slash-theories as there are people, so, fuck. I'm just gonna pray for a patch/optimization from CA and/or Nvidia. I was hoping there'd be a patch out already - I've been without comp access for a week - but oh well.

Running an i7-4700HQ, GeForce GT 750M laptop in case somebody wants to know - not a cutting-edge comp, I know, but it meets the recommended settings, runs Rome 2 on High just fine, and the game autosets settings to High, too. Many people reporting have higher-end systems so I doubt it's just not enough performance. Keep in mind I can't escape the lag/stutter even on shitty resolutions and superlow settings (though it does decrease somewhat).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 03, 2016, 05:22:14 pm »

The Empire is defeated, and as such I have finally completed my long game victory as VCs. It took 496 turns, spread out over the better part of a week in real time. I personally destroyed 7 factions, killed 2.4 thousand enemies and lost roughly 1100 soldiers.

My game finished with Mannfred's dragon tearing Karl Franz off a griffon and casting them both to the forest floor below.

Killing the Empire was a pleasant experience compared to killing the Dwarves. The stunties' morale was just painful to deal with, as was their armour.

In celebration I fought a few custom battles as the WoC. Use Kholek and some other dragon ogres to rout a force of Bretonnians and tested a dragon mounted Archaon (modded in) and 6 manticore riding Chaos Champions against a force of Greenskins, which the game generated as goblins with some giants. Turns out even on a dragon giants still kill Archaon in three hits. That seems rather off considering how they stack up in the tabletop game. I may just download that mod I saw that buffs dragons...
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 03, 2016, 06:38:35 pm »

With regards to balancing mods, I've grown fond of Cetaph_Closer to Tabletop. It adds a few units, while sticking to lore (so no silly stuff like Black Orcs with bows), but also does some changes (with more promised to come) like lowering savage orc physical immunity from 20% to 15%, and making the steam tank 75% resistant to magic (in the TT it's outright immune).

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 03, 2016, 06:43:50 pm »

Do the underground movement things seem a little bit... Bullshit to anyone else? Maybe it's because I've not played as orcs or dwarves yet so I'm missing something. But in my vamprie game I'm fighting the orcs, and they'll just appear in my territory, totally bypassing the armies I have for defense to burn down my shit, and when I beat them in a battle instead of being able to run down the remains of their armies (like I can to humans or they certainly can to me) they just disappear unto the underground to show up fully reinforced a few turns later.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 277