Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491445 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1620 on: December 02, 2016, 04:55:31 pm »

Staying true to the tabletop I see.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: December 02, 2016, 08:18:34 pm »

Both seem very good at buffing units. Occam's Mindrazor in the tabletop seemed like a powerful spell that made a unit use it's leadership instead of strength for wounding. I'm a bit sad that Smoke and Mirrors doesn't work as a teleport (I guess no Skitterleap for Skaven later on).

It's interesting that the life wizard has spells to regenerate health but seemingly not to resurrect units. Apparently Regrowth in the tabletop resurrected units but it makes a nice difference between these lores and the lore of Vampires.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: December 02, 2016, 08:33:01 pm »

It's interesting that the life wizard has spells to regenerate health but seemingly not to resurrect units. Apparently Regrowth in the tabletop resurrected units but it makes a nice difference between these lores and the lore of Vampires.
It might revive. I think it has the same wording as its equivalent in the vamp lore.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: December 05, 2016, 06:45:11 pm »

A video is up explaining a bit of the lore behind the Wood Elves as well as their units, magic lores and some footage of the Wood Elf campaign map.

The patch notes are also up for the coming update 5 on their wiki.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:10:25 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: December 06, 2016, 07:46:10 pm »

So, according to leaks, the next free LL (other than the one for Beastmen that's coming with the DLC) is going to be the Red Duke of Mousilon. Yup, you get to finally officially play as the Bretonian vampires!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: December 06, 2016, 08:36:01 pm »

There's a screenshot in this thread with the Red Duke's statsheet shown. Nothing specific or unique but he does have a different style to other Vampire lords.

Apparently Middenheim is also playable, at least in custom battles, lead by Boris Todbringer.

It's nice that they're doing something with these smaller lords. They're named and known figures but their subfactions aren't really different enough to be really different from what's already available. Their different start positions would allow for more game variety though.

Edit:
Also: A video has been put up showcasing the Glade Lord and Forest Dragon mount.

There's also plans for a few streams over the coming days.
"Wednesday (3PM GMT) will feature the much-anticipated Wood Elves in battle, Thursday (2PM GMT) will showcase the Mini-Campaign and Friday (3PM GMT) will feature multiplayer! We’ll have a different developer every day to give us a creator’s view into the new DLC. See you then: twitch.tv/totalwarofficial".

A few YouTubers have also been putting up videos of gameplay footage. I don't follow any of them in particular so perhaps someone who does could link a video that shows off a good amount of content?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:52:30 pm by Mech#4 »

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: December 06, 2016, 09:05:12 pm »

I always liked this guy for total war videos. He is doing one for wood elves. He does auto resolve a lot, but less so for wood elves. Though guess a lot of the next videos I'm watching, a lot of youtubers auto resolve battles a lot for warhammer. Maybe its just a youtube thing, because otherwise videos be too long. But personally always felt it kinda cheaty in the newer total wars (the older ones, auto resolved sucks lol). In any case...

(HForHavoc) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unq5gHfuqtU

this guy (warrior of sparta) also seems pretty popular for total war, I found he posted the video on reddit. Haven't watched it yet though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StXN77XKf2w

And this one is over an hour long. Haven't seen it yet either. Seems popular though on reddit.

(lionheartx10) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1oZP80kP9M

Then there are some reddit entires for Twitch. But not my thing, so maybe if someone watches someone on Twitch can post.

Also as a heads up. Auto resolve might be changed overall. Either wood elves suck at auto resolve, or they changed it for everyone to make auto resolve nerved. If so, huge kudos...I hope not a bug and its an actual thing. Don't see a point playing total war auto resolving everything, and pwning without much work. Total war is all about battles. Otherwise might as well play civilization or a paradox strategy game with mods attached. So hopefully they "fixed" autoresolve to not be so overpowered. At least make it like medieval 2.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:08:21 pm by Kazagarth »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: December 06, 2016, 09:53:11 pm »

Thanks for the videos.

In the coming patch there has been a few changes to auto-resolve. The main one being that weaker units will take more casualties over higher-tier, more expensive units. I believe this is because people wre finding some of the smaller units like trolls were taking a larger hit in auto-resolve then, say, a unit of goblins. I think it's like, the same number of casualties/damage will occur just it's skewed so weaker units take more than stronger units.
Here's a thread with some screenshots to show it a bit. Units are lost, but they were badly injured and low tier ones.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: December 06, 2016, 10:37:27 pm »

Thanks for the videos.

In the coming patch there has been a few changes to auto-resolve. The main one being that weaker units will take more casualties over higher-tier, more expensive units. I believe this is because people wre finding some of the smaller units like trolls were taking a larger hit in auto-resolve then, say, a unit of goblins. I think it's like, the same number of casualties/damage will occur just it's skewed so weaker units take more than stronger units.
Here's a thread with some screenshots to show it a bit. Units are lost, but they were badly injured and low tier ones.

Yeah, reminds me of how medieval 2 worked (at least somewhat, don't remember 100% of the actual mechanic). It should balance auto resolve a lot. It should be still an option to avoid long drawn out junk fights. But the way I see a lot of videos from let's players, they just own everything when they would have probably lost the battle if they didn't auto resolve. While this may not entirely solve that, not sure. I think it will balance out auto resolve quite a bit more.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: December 07, 2016, 07:04:37 am »

Oh wow, Red Duke and Toddbringer. Looks like my guesses were right

Now, where is my boy Krell?

EDIT:

GRAB THE BOOK, LADS.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:27:45 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: December 07, 2016, 07:34:50 am »

Why is Orion 'k with being a beastman?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: December 07, 2016, 08:06:49 am »

While most definitely not a Beastman Orion sure isn't your average elf.  He's sort of the physical embodiment of Kurnous, God of the Hunt and father of all elves.  A wood elf is chosen at the start of each year to take on is mantle, then sacrificed at midwinter.  Which kinda makes his inclusion in this game a bit bizarre unless we're meant to accept that an entire campaign takes place in under a year.

While I suppose you could say he looks a little Beastmannish around the hoofs, he's pretty much the polar opposite.  They are humans corrupted and mutated by Chaos, with only a primitive and malevolent intelligence and who are intent on destroying, well, everything.  He is the manifestation of an Elven deity on a path of self sacrifice and primarily focused on the defence of his homeland.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:13:44 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: December 07, 2016, 11:02:34 am »

Maybe he's gonna pull a Caesar?
"Oh, I know midwinter is here but the End Times just happened so why not let's put it off for a little bit until this all blows over"
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: December 07, 2016, 11:21:14 am »

While most definitely not a Beastman Orion sure isn't your average elf.  He's sort of the physical embodiment of Kurnous, God of the Hunt and father of all elves.  A wood elf is chosen at the start of each year to take on is mantle, then sacrificed at midwinter.  Which kinda makes his inclusion in this game a bit bizarre unless we're meant to accept that an entire campaign takes place in under a year.
The steam page mentions him dying each winter and being reborn in the spring, so it sounds like there will be some mechanic similar to the moon thing for beastmen for Orion.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: December 07, 2016, 01:10:21 pm »

Just reading up on it;
Quote from: Wiki
He is immortal, but his existence is irrevocably tied to the seasons. Thus does he pass willingly into his own funeral pyre each midwinter, only to be reborn into thunderous life on the first day of spring. Each year, on the eve of the vernal equinox, the Wild Riders selects a young prince who will bear the mantle of Orion for the coming year. This chosen one is led to the Oak of Ages and given over to Ariel’s keeping.
There, she works the miracle of rebirth, sculpting her lost husband anew from the chosen one’s flesh and Kurnous’ spirit. On the following morning, the chosen one emerges from the Oak’s embrace, a mortal Elf no longer, but reborn as Orion, god-king of Athel Loren.
Watching Wood Elf cinematic like 'Wow, that guy must be an important dude'
Turns out he's a sacrificial lamb
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 277