Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491545 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1710 on: February 06, 2017, 12:34:36 pm »

Bretonnia will release on the 28th. On one hand, it's relatively far away. On the other hand, it gives me enough time to finish a campaign or two.

From the picture in that post, looks like one of the units they made up are hyppogryph knights.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: February 06, 2017, 08:46:27 pm »

Having a blast with it so far - I'm enjoying it so much more than the other TW games. It feels a bit more 4x-y than the other ones too - I feel as though I've got meaningful stuff to research and build, and more RPG like advancement on my heroes.

It's got a few wrinkles obviously - I got an incredibly annoying few turns when an ork hero kept on sabotaging me so I could barely move my main hero - obviously it was some sort of RNG madness, but it was just painfully annoying. There was no real reason behind it, I just got a bit stuck for a few turns until they eventually decided to run off. Similarly, sometimes the AI just seems to fluctuate between being painfully inept and masterfully homicidal.

As for mods, I got the home region movement mod and the skill number booster, and it seems a pretty good combo. If anyone's reading who hasn't modded it, I feel they're musts.

The DLC thing is pretty awful - but it's to be expected I suppose. They obviously feel that they've hit the nail on the head with the 'see what you could be playing with!' idea, but it just makes them come off as bigger money-grabbing wankers than usual. Doesn't detract from the fun too much, but it's annoying to click something and then it explode into 'OH THATS DLC IF YOU WANT THAT THEN YOU NEED TO BUY IT LET ME TAKE YOU STRAIGHT TO OUR STORE!'

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 06, 2017, 09:56:33 pm »

It's got a few wrinkles obviously - I got an incredibly annoying few turns when an ork hero kept on sabotaging me so I could barely move my main hero - obviously it was some sort of RNG madness, but it was just painfully annoying. There was no real reason behind it, I just got a bit stuck for a few turns until they eventually decided to run off. Similarly, sometimes the AI just seems to fluctuate between being painfully inept and masterfully homicidal.
Get the mod that disables hostile AI hero actions. Seriously. Not only is it infuriating, but it actually prevents you from seeing them used in battle against you. AI is far more likely to use them in battle with a mod like that.

Since I'm already talking about mods, I recommend All Tabletop Lords. My modlist is pretty big, but this is one of the few unit mods that I think is very well balanced. There's also pretty much everything made by Cataph. Dude knows how to balance his stuff, and his magic balance feels pretty good to me. Evens out the lores, so Gelt becomes the buffer/debuffer he always deserved to be.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 07, 2017, 11:39:29 am »

Get the mod that disables hostile AI hero actions. Seriously. Not only is it infuriating, but it actually prevents you from seeing them used in battle against you. AI is far more likely to use them in battle with a mod like that.

Since I'm already talking about mods, I recommend All Tabletop Lords. My modlist is pretty big, but this is one of the few unit mods that I think is very well balanced. There's also pretty much everything made by Cataph. Dude knows how to balance his stuff, and his magic balance feels pretty good to me. Evens out the lores, so Gelt becomes the buffer/debuffer he always deserved to be.

Ooh yeah I might go for that - last turn I had about 5 completely pointless enemy actions against me. None of them helped achieved any actual enemy goals, they just marginally slowed down one of my armies which wasn't going anywhere anyway.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: February 10, 2017, 12:14:11 pm »

CA made it so you can put any custom map you want into any campaign battle you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tPPLLPZfm4

Holy shit.

Finally.

Sieges.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: February 10, 2017, 12:16:01 pm »

It is a bit unfortunate that the map tool does not support windows 7 though.

Also Make War Not Love is happening again and it's totally not rigged towards DoW this time, promise!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: February 10, 2017, 12:21:49 pm »

It is a bit unfortunate that the map tool does not support windows 7 though.

Also Make War Not Love is happening again and it's totally not rigged towards DoW this time, promise!
I'm hoping they make a more intuitive way to replace maps in the campaign.

The method they have is a bit wonky, though I have no doubt with this you'll see stuff like "Radious Battle Map Replacer" or something which will do all the work for you.

Also there are some pretty amazing maps as it is.

I played the Karak Kadrin one and it is glorious.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: February 10, 2017, 12:25:27 pm »

I'd prefer the Karak Kadrin one if it was a siege battle instead of just a bridge one. I'd love it if the bridge led straight to a gate and walls that you had to break through or climb over.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: February 10, 2017, 12:29:19 pm »

I'd prefer the Karak Kadrin one if it was a siege battle instead of just a bridge one. I'd love it if the bridge led straight to a gate and walls that you had to break through or climb over.
What you can do with the new campaign editor thing is replace the surrounding area of Karak Kadrin with the bridge and have a regular siege for the fortress itself.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: February 12, 2017, 03:25:59 pm »

Am I right in thinking that this is basically a DLC giveaway?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: February 12, 2017, 03:48:09 pm »

Am I right in thinking that this is basically a DLC giveaway?
If it is anything like the others: each game dev team will make a new DLC for each of those games. Whichever of those games completes some arbitrary goal (previously it was playerbase increase, I think, which DoW2 won because the DoW2 playerbase is small) gets that DLC for free. Everyone else will just release that DLC later for a price just like any regular DLC.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: February 12, 2017, 04:07:32 pm »

They also gave away a bunch of old Sega titles for free. But that wasn't dependent to the competition, IIRC.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: February 12, 2017, 07:49:57 pm »

Too bad they couldn't wait for DoW III
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: February 12, 2017, 10:56:26 pm »

No need to wait...there is a good chance they will keep doing this in the future especially after the initial popularity of DoW III slows down

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: February 13, 2017, 07:55:38 am »

No need to wait...there is a good chance they will keep doing this in the future especially after the initial popularity of DoW III slows down
They do it every year at St. Valentine's day, so...
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 277