Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491534 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1890 on: March 18, 2017, 02:00:45 pm »

Something something movie red cliff?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: March 18, 2017, 02:37:00 pm »

Something something movie red cliff?
If you want to watch a good show about Three Kingdoms, then I recommend Three Kingdoms, the 2010 version. In fact, you can watch the entire thing with fantastic English subtitles on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL33A390995E9A7F00

Keep in mind this is based on the novel Three Kingdoms instead of actual history so you still get a lot of sillyness and nonhistory inside but it'll give a good impression of what warfare during that period was like.

----

As to why should you even be interested in all this, well... if you like Japan's Sengoku Jidai, this is basically that on a significantly larger scale with significantly more at stake. So much happened that two of the minor characters are now revered as gods in modern day... for.... some... reason. Man, I wish I could be a rapist bandit and become worshiped as a god. Even China's own warring states era which established the Qin empire when people like Sun Tzu and Confucius were alive and doing crazy shit is completely in the shadow of the Three Kingdoms period. Actually, come to think of it, I never realized Sun Tzu, Confucius, and Lao Zhi were all alive in the same time period. That's kinda nuts. That's like Napoleon, Buddha, and Voltaire being alive at the same time.

Anyway...

There's a reason why this story is immortalized as one of China's three greatest works of literature and why there's so many games and shows about it.

Hell, even the Japanese play more Dynasty Warriors (Three Kingdoms) than they do Samurai Warriors (Sengoku Jidai).

----

I think I should stop talking about this though. I've gone super off topic.

To go back on topic, there's a super popular map compilation pack on Steam Workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=877551324

It basically puts in good community maps to replace existing maps for you to fight on in the campaign. I've tried it out and have had a hell of a lot of fun with it so far.

Though unfortunately, due to the map editor you still don't have walls you can deploy troops on traditionally and there are no gates or working towers. Still, I think it's way better than the shitty ass siege maps we have now.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: March 18, 2017, 09:12:54 pm »

I've been looking at the map pack, it looks like a lot of good work has gone into it and I look forward to play them. Though, I've been giving it a bit more time for some bugs to be fixed before trying it myself. One of the problems I saw some people having was reinforcements not arriving on the maps.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: March 18, 2017, 10:11:17 pm »

Took me awhile to get the hang of things, but I managed. I finally have a good Chaos army going on the campaign. Kholek Suneater is near Talabheim with an army consisting of:
-4 Chaos Warrior Regiments, one with halberds
-2 Forsaken (Gonna ditch them for Knights or Aspiring Champions when I can)
-3 Manticores
-2 Shaggoths
-4 Dragon Ogres
-2 Spawn
-2 Horsemasters
-Kholek himself

I'm styling it after Nidzilla armies from WH40K tabletop, because that was my specialty. Nothing says 'terror' like being simultaneously charged by 24 Dragon Ogres, three Shaggoths, twelve Chaos Spawn, three Manticores, and a seething morass of armored fodder. The Starcrusher mission was pretty entertaining with this setup. I had a running fight with the orcs while that Wyvern gave me a heap of trouble, with some help from the flying undead. Once I killed the Wyvern, I attacked the Undead army the right way: I held their infantry with mine and charged their two leaders with so many giant mutant monsters of pure rage. They died in moments and the army crumbled after hardly any combat at all. I kind of look forward to attacking the VC regions, once I figure out how to deal with that attrition.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: March 18, 2017, 10:14:48 pm »

Reasons to play Morghur the shadowgave. (beastmen)

Non-corrupted regions? Not on my watch.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: March 18, 2017, 10:15:59 pm »

Reasons to play Morghur the shadowgave. (beastmen)

Non-corrupted regions? Not on my watch.
What about the neverending Chaos Spawn spawn?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: March 18, 2017, 10:17:06 pm »

Awesome, but not really a fix for vamp attrition.

Not that 'play another character' is a fix either...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: March 20, 2017, 06:38:38 am »

Been trying my hand at a legendary difficulty Chaos campaign.

At first I tried it with Sigvald and it seemed to go pretty well. But after a hundred turns I realized... in one hundred turns I accomplished nothing. I couldn't defeat any nation as they would keep resettling all the ruins while I recovered. Not to mention because I didn't conquer Norsca, I kept having problems with the Norscan raiders killing off my awakened tribes and cutting off my reinforcement points.

I had to give up the Sigvald run when Sarthoreal spawned and whuped my unprepared arse who was stuck in the middle of enemy territory surrounded by enemies.

---------

So, round 2. Learned from mistakes.

Because I was and am using a mod to amp up unit sizes by 50%, I realized that Sigvald... kinda sucks when every unit is around 200 men strong. He barely does any AOE damage and very easily gets swarmed by all the troops.

So, for round 2 I brought out the big guns. Kholek Suneater. Who cares if enemies have 180 men per unit if I can squish them all just the same and then just walk out like no big deal.

Also, I completely and totally conquered the entirety of Norsca before even stepping one foot in human lands. It took something like 80 turns to conquer the whole thing, 80 turns of endless horse skirmishers and Surtha Ek's chariots.

It was actually quite fun, I have to admit, because of the neverending crazy cheatspawning that the AI does on legendary difficulty. I had so many intense battles with Kholek and his two other heroes going down to 5% hp fighting off hundreds of enemy marauders. I remember watching my sorcerer die four times in battle but after it ends he'd always just get back up and be alive with 1hp.

-----

Now though, now Kholek is basically invincible. His army is just him and 19 Shaggoths. Nothing can stop them. Sarthoreal got flattened almost instantly, the poor birdmanthing.

Not to mention now my subjugated tribes have their own neverending legendary-difficulty cheatspawn stacks to constantly send at the lands of men. We're steamrolling everything to such a ludicrious degree. Most of the human lands have been razed to the ground and I barely did any of them. The Norscans are winning the game for me.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: March 20, 2017, 06:54:48 am »

How do keep the chariotvikings from killing each other? When I awakened tribes, they started fighting amongst themselves almost immediately.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: March 20, 2017, 08:37:36 am »

How do keep the chariotvikings from killing each other? When I awakened tribes, they started fighting amongst themselves almost immediately.

Pick your favorite and kill off all the others. Subjugate the survivor and let them rebuild Norsca.

You only want to awaken enough tribes to unlock Sigvald really, after that it's best to make Norsca a single faction under your dominion.

In my first Chaos game, I think it was on Very Hard, I wound up being unable to get any lords other than Kholek to survive, because he was the first one and had the best army, the others couldn't find a safe place to build up. He wound up rampaging around the Old World with an army of Dragon Ogres, Shaggoths and a Death Sorcerer on a horse, constantly chased by four empire lords, including Franz and Gelt. Lightning Strike saw a lot of use in that campaign.

Because of how hard it was to fight the humans I eventually sailed down to the Badlands to help Grimgor fight the Dwarves, so I would have an ally in the wars up North. That took god damn forever because Grimgor had been getting his green ass handed to him on a silver platter for several dozen turns. The game ended with the last human settlement, I think it was Nuln, being besieged by Kholek, Grimgor and some Norscan lord.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: March 20, 2017, 10:50:17 am »

Yeah I went favourite two and let them battle it out.
Infighting = building extra stacks.

An alternate fix is to awaken them, immediately reattack them and vassalize them, which is a handy neuter.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: March 20, 2017, 11:03:18 am »

For my VH WoC run I went with Archaon. What I did was march straight past Kraka Drak, and go south only near Eregrengrad(sp?). Bypassing that, I went off to kill the Empire. With that done the brets were next.  I almost won before Big Bird appeared, but the Empire somehow came back from a VC rebellion.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: March 20, 2017, 11:59:28 am »

An alternate fix is to awaken them, immediately reattack them and vassalize them, which is a handy neuter.
Interestingly enough, I noticed that if you reattack and subjugate the awakened tribes, they will never declare war on one another and will always answer your call to battle.

However, if lets say you conquer Varg or the other guy who already exists and then subjugate their last settlement, they can and will declare war on one another and refuse your call to arms.

I'm not sure if it's because of the AI or because they're at -500 relationship with you after you burn down all their holdings.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: March 21, 2017, 12:41:02 am »

Interestingly enough, I noticed that if you reattack and subjugate the awakened tribes, they will never declare war on one another and will always answer your call to battle.

However, if lets say you conquer Varg or the other guy who already exists and then subjugate their last settlement, they can and will declare war on one another and refuse your call to arms.

I'm not sure if it's because of the AI or because they're at -500 relationship with you after you burn down all their holdings.

If you re-attack and subjugate (vassalize) the tribes, then they're considered vassals, which means they can't declare war on each other. Or anybody else, for that matter. Their diplomatic status is fixed to yours, so they will automatically join any wars you wage and peace out when you peace out (not that that's an option for Chaos!). The only diplomatic options they have are signing trade agreements, receiving gifts, and seceding from vassalage, and that last one only happens if they have a seriously low opinion of you. Seeing as how awakened tribes have a fixed high opinion modifier for Chaos, that's not likely to happen!

That said, I could totally see the Varg seceding, since they'd have a very low opinion of you. Sadly, subjugating a faction doesn't fix any negative thoughts they have towards you, perhaps because you just razed a dozen of their settlements and smashed three of their 20-stacks; the only advantage you get is the "treaties with Chaos" modifier from having the vassal treaty. The awakened tribes have a big positive opinion modifier for Chaos, plus you've only fought one of their armies and conquered one of their settlements before you subjugated them, so it makes sense that they'd have a fair opinion of you even after you vassalize them. The Varg and Skaeling... not so much!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 21, 2017, 02:21:44 am »

So it is best to exterminate Varg & Skaelings, but awaken & subjugate the others. Do the vassals turn against you in the birdy bird event, tho? So is it just wasted effort till then?
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 277