Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491536 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2535 on: August 12, 2017, 06:35:15 am »

but can you follow it up with the killing blow?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: August 12, 2017, 06:44:41 am »

Everything succumbed to the merciless auto-resolve. Maybe weighing is badly skewed or something. I don't know.
Auto-resolve weights are ridiculous. If you want to have fun, start a game as Empire and field a full stack of Any Lord + 19 Free Company Militia and only ever auto-resolve because that composition is pretty bad in regular battles. As long as your are not outnumbered, it's almost always a win if you auto-resolve.

They can be good to abuse if you are fighting a particularly tough battle... but that is weighted in your favor.

In Medieval 2 Total War, for example, Citadel (Essentially THREE wall Castles) weren't counted for battle weights, or at least barely mattered for the calculation, even though it is a very good way to lose a lot of units.

On the opposite spectrum you could also get Cannon Towers which were SO overwhelmingly powerful that you could win exclusively through those. So it was pretty much never in your favor to auto those (unless the enemy has them)

This game... is the same deal.

The Undead are probably the weirdest in that some of their garbage units seem to weigh the scales more than their actual provable strength, like zombies or skeletons.

While I "THINK" the group that is weighted wonky in a "weak" way is probably the Dwarves...

(Then again what a coincidence that those are polar opposites: Dwarves have amazing first tier units, and Undead have DREADFUL first tier units)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:52:59 am by Neonivek »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: August 12, 2017, 07:16:21 am »

The Undead are probably the weirdest in that some of their garbage units seem to weigh the scales more than their actual provable strength, like zombies or skeletons.

While I "THINK" the group that is weighted wonky in a "weak" way is probably the Dwarves...

(Then again what a coincidence that those are polar opposites: Dwarves have amazing first tier units, and Undead have DREADFUL first tier units)
I had the opposite experience with the undead. I fielded mostly skeleton spearmen armies, which were treated poorly by the auto-resolve, especially against chaos, but managed to win most tactical battles.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: August 12, 2017, 09:06:03 am »

I found that elves were not treated kindly by the auto-resolve.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: August 12, 2017, 09:07:35 am »

I had the opposite experience with the undead. I fielded mostly skeleton spearmen armies, which were treated poorly by the auto-resolve, especially against chaos, but managed to win most tactical battles.
As far as I can tell, in auto-resolve ranged gets priority over melee, and armour over the lack of it. Which means that stuff like slayers and giants get murdered by the AR.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: August 12, 2017, 11:16:52 am »

but can you follow it up with the killing blow?
Eh, I'll let them build up, I love siege battles, and that was a T2 big town with a T1 wall on it. The rest of my settlements in the way? T4 or T5 big towns, with T3 walls.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: August 12, 2017, 11:35:30 am »

Do norscan settlement maps even spawn the corpse-walls?
I bloody well hope so
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: August 12, 2017, 11:39:48 am »

Do norscan settlement maps even spawn the corpse-walls?
I bloody well hope so
...corpse-walls?

You have my attention.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: August 14, 2017, 11:33:34 am »

CA posted something interesting on reddit.

Spoiler: Beep Beep (click to show/hide)

A few things to note: I am surprised, and pleased, that Sartosa, the Necrarchs and Strygos are included. I am confused why Araby is full of Bretonnians and the odd Estalian.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: August 14, 2017, 11:43:56 am »

Are any of the expansions important for Warhammer 2?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: August 14, 2017, 11:55:31 am »

Did araby get shunted sideways a lil?

Also cute, the ruins. The longest "?" would actually be exactly long enough to fit something like "flan bestilins"
Crazy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:01:19 pm by Tack »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: August 14, 2017, 12:34:25 pm »

Nice that every TW:WI facction will have a presence there, but I guess they wont be playable.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: August 14, 2017, 12:48:46 pm »

So, the ??? ruins? Looking like Skaven will raze settlements and inhabit their ruins instead. I like this, very fitting for how they work.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: August 14, 2017, 12:51:35 pm »

Did araby get shunted sideways a lil?

Also cute, the ruins. The longest "?" would actually be exactly long enough to fit something like "flan bestilins"
Crazy.
looks like they're in the middle of a crusade.

They won't be in the vanilla game though, or Tomb Kings. DLC races.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: August 14, 2017, 01:01:31 pm »

I think the continents are closer than they should either to fit them on this map, or so fleets don't take dozens of turns to move from one landmass to the next.

It's also likely that some of the ruins are actually ruins, like the ones in the Land of the Dead.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 277