Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491609 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #3495 on: December 22, 2018, 08:17:53 am »

So yeah I've been trying the Vamp Counts post-rework and they are Awesome. Every bloodline is distinct both visually and in stats (except maybe strigoi?). Necrarch vampires carry staves and have terrible melee stats, whilst Lahmians are female and duellists with a mixed vampires/shadow magic tree. Plus they get their own unique yellow tree. Necrarches can end up having either 3 cost Invohek or 6 cost Invohek upgraded, which is obscene.

So far I'm having some massive fun with it. Haven't yet found out what the descendants of Arborash or Vlad look like but yeah. Big fan.

I've been playing them too.

My main issue is that the old campaigns still have those campaign sub goals thingies which fucks with me so bad. I want to not give a damn and focus on what I want to go (confederate with the other Legendary Lord factions and Moussilon) but I want to fulfil then so much. It's messing with my enjoyment.
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: January 14, 2019, 02:27:05 am »

I don't know how the game decides how badly you won/lost, but it seems a bit fucky.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"close"
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: January 14, 2019, 04:08:54 am »

I don't know how the game decides how badly you won/lost, but it seems a bit fucky.
//
"close"

I've found the exact same thing - I think it really, really can't work out battles for Skaven. I've had battles that went really badly which got a decisive and battles that were just like yours with a close victory. I wonder if it takes into account leadership or something - skaven often run off at around half health (unless you've got a lord with them etc.) and then come back so it might be that they're counting them as 'lost' units or something.

Anyway, as much as I love Skaven it's a pain having to fight every battle manually. The only trick I've found is to get ambush stats really high - the computer obviously values ambushes extremely highly and can auto-battle it way better than I can - I've found Skaven comparatively weak in an ambush as you can't use artillery well, which negates a major strength and if you're awaiting reinforcements you can often take heavy losses before they arrive.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: January 14, 2019, 08:07:00 am »

The AI considers Skaven and Tomb Kings to be extremely weak when it comes to auto-resolve. There are mods to handle that, but even then you need to be careful.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: January 14, 2019, 12:12:48 pm »

The same seems to apply to Vampire Counts too. I think the game counts leadership a little too highly, so swarms of low leadership troops are penalized even if you have enough to overwhelm the enemy and gank them from all sides.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: January 14, 2019, 03:36:45 pm »

I think the game counts leadership a little too highly, so swarms of low leadership troops are penalized even if you have enough to overwhelm the enemy and gank them from all sides.

Agreed, it's the only thing that makes sense. I suppose if they didn't give leadership high priority you'd end up with the default strategy being stocking up on tons of skavenslaves and roflstomping everything in auto. I do wish they'd balance it out a bit though as currently Skaven has to be pretty much completely manual - I've absolutely obliterated sieges  with a decisive victory (with my tactic being literally walking my skaven straight to the front door) that auto has put me at a decisive defeat with barely any damage to the defenders.

As I mentioned, ambush is great for levelling it out though - I always auto my ambushes and win every time. 
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: January 14, 2019, 06:43:59 pm »

After watching a fair amount of multiplayer matches on youtube, its probably best to assume every win is a Glorious Victory! Possibly for the Empire.

Or the Waaaaggghhh! Never underestimate the fact that your victory or defeat may actually be a Glorious Victory for the Waaaaggghhhh! Ever.
It's a game. Have fun.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: January 15, 2019, 12:37:14 pm »

I'm found the best strategy for Skaven ambushes is to deploy at either the front or back of the enemy column.  Either they fight you and get the worst engage possible, or they back up to reform and get blasted by artillery while your reinforcements come in.

I've gotten to the end of my Skaven campaign and I'm honestly not sure if I have the heart to finish the last 20 turns.  I have a significant presence in all regions except Ulthuan, I razed Lothem to the ground, I have so many armies and heroes.  My turns just take so damn long and while I love my armies I've had so many fights with the same units against the same basic opponents.

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: January 15, 2019, 05:02:55 pm »

Most of Skaven's power come from very specific, very expensive (relatively), and very powerful units. These include Death Globe Globadiers, Warpfire Throwers, Warp Lightning Cannons, their mages, and so on.

The rest of Skaven's army really just exists to bog down the enemy unit those units nuke them. They don't really do much on their own.

While this translates pretty well in singleplayer, which is what matters the most, online it's the same issue as Dwarfs. As in... once you kill some high value targets like their artillery, they're useless. This is very easily achieved in MP battles due to all the various ways of sniping targets. Flying units, mages, empire witch hunters, etc. etc. Too many ways to get rid of Skaven's only way to fight.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: January 15, 2019, 06:01:53 pm »

Yeah, I struggled with other races but have absolutely roflstomped everything with Skaven. Yeah, they're rubbish if you just play them as a usual army, but you'd be stupid to do so. Tying everything dangerous up with night/gutter runners and blasting everything else with arty whilst your expendable/troops swamp them down is great fun. That combined with the menace below/vermintide for taking out enemy artillery and ranged units means that I've been able to handle pretty much any battle.

My strategy currently is to keep a hell pit abomination back until everyone is engaged, bring it round the back and then just smash into the enemy flank along with a vermintide or two and a menace below - everything immediately routes and then I can chase them down at my leisure.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: January 15, 2019, 07:19:18 pm »

Something that took the entire caimpaign for me to figure out is that cones can be aimed freely from the target point.  So you can target, say, skaven scorch at the right side of a unit, and then just turn it to the left and sweep the whole unit off its feet.

In singleplayer you can boost certain Skaven units past their normal potential with the red battle skills and combat buffs.  For example stormvermin with all the relevant skills + an overcast battle frenzy and clan mors clanstone can fight pretty much any infantry in the game, at least until the buffs run out.  You can make gutter runners kite monsterous creatures, and I bet if you got every possible speed buff you could make them kite cavalry.  Both standard leaders and warlock engineers have buffs that can make normal missile units fire faster so stacking a bunch of those on slingers can be crazy.  All in all tho, I mostly stacked -upkeep and +ammo on siege weapons, cause its simple and it works. 

But yeah, in multiplayer I would... um.  Recruit 10 siege engines and 9 plague priests with vermintide?  I dunno, with only 20 unit slots there's not much to work with.  You could bring a bunch of stormvermin+rat ogres and be a shittier version of every other faction.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: January 15, 2019, 09:40:03 pm »

My Skaven armies generally consist of:

Lord
Plague Priest
Warlock Engineer
Assassin
2-3 slaves
3 Clanrat Spears
1 Stormvermin Halberds
2 Night Runners Throwing stars
2 Gutter Runners Throwing stars
2 Plagueclaw Catapults

Last three slots some mix of Warpfire Throwers, Globadiers or Rat Ogres. I may swap out the slaves for some Plague Monks, especially if it's my main army with Lord Skrolk. A warplightning cannon instead of a catapult.

With ambushes I usually divide my army in two and ambush from both sides at the same time, surrounding the enemy and flanking with warpfire throwers and globadiers. My artillary are usually placed a fair distance off looking down the enemy column from the front or back.

During the campaign I also tend to have a throwaway warlord leading an army made up of about 3 clanrat units and the rest slaves. The extra bodies are used to swarm the walls during sieges, either using ladders or going through holes in the walls.

I find magic is a big help for Skaven armies. Pestilent Breath is fantastic for grouped enemy units while Wither is great for basically anything. Those are the two spells I use the most. Plague is alright but I find it doesn't deal that much damage. Bless with Filth is kind of eh. Vermintide and Pestient Birth are nice (especially with the mod that stops summons from degrading).
Warplightning is great for units on walls and in tight groups, Death Frenzy would be nice against armies that cause fear like the undead. I'm not that impressed by Scorch and haven't used Crack's Call enough to really say much about it though I think you need to overcast it to get good usage. Skitterleap is fun to use on assassins and with other buffs I've gotten assassins that move at light cavalry speeds.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: January 16, 2019, 04:05:33 am »

Something that took the entire caimpaign for me to figure out is that cones can be aimed freely from the target point.
Another fun hack, holding alt lets you free aim artillery fire.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: January 16, 2019, 06:47:16 am »

I go a lot heavier on the storm vermin in my armies - I swap out clanrats for them whenever I can as they're able to handle a lot more punishment and deal some moderate damage rather than clanrats which sometimes seem to be just expensive skavenslaves. I've found that stormvermin + Lord with a few buffs are a great front line that can hold it down whilst my death globadiers and warpfire throwers can get in place and my plague priest censer bearers flank.

A hell pit abomination does great work for one slot - it's not great compared to other monsters, but I add as many speed and charge buffs as I can on it and just use it to smash into the side of the main line of enemy units in sort of hit and run type tactics. It's pretty much the only unit I micro around and take it where it's needed.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: January 16, 2019, 08:04:31 am »

Something you can do as Skaven is have one main stack being constantly followed by another with 19 skavenslaves to act as the chaff Skaven deserve to have.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 277