Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491499 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!
« Reply #3990 on: February 21, 2022, 02:30:48 pm »

The slower pace doesn't work well for the initial land grab (aside from making recently conquered territories extremely simple to retake), but later in the game being able to splurt out a full high tier stack in a single turn (and replenishing 35%+ each turn from a disease you can pass back and forth between armies infinitely) makes it worth the wait.

The auto-resolve also doesn't seem to favor Nurgle very much. I've won a number of "defeats" with minimal losses, especially when defending. That may be partially due to the AI being dumb in the new siege battles though.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: February 21, 2022, 02:46:33 pm »

The technical issues at launch are kinda inconsistent. Some people are reporting that they're getting better performance than WH2, some are saying it's significantly worse on similar settings. I'm in the latter camp; I could run WH2's campaign map at almost a steady 60 fps on High settings, but in WH3 with lower settings, I'm struggling to stay near 40 fps, sometimes dipping below 30. Battles run far better--a stable 60 all the time.

A lot of people are mystified on why the performance has taken a nosedive; those who got pre-release copies were reporting that the game ran as well as, or better than WH2 on the campaign map, and suddenly that's changed for them after launch. Many have pointed fingers at the inclusion of Denuvo in the release version of the game, but it's uncertain. All we know is, between pre-release and release, something got screwed up for many users.

As for the main campaign, I've found it much slower--not necessarily bad--and a bit annoying. It feels like I'm heavily discouraged from doing the usual Warhammer thing of fighting wars and taking territories, because the more provinces I take the more chaos portals I have to play tag with. The most effective path to winning seems to be making friends with as many neighbors as possible to avoid war, then turtling with a single doomstack and casually waltzing into the chaos realms to claim souls and win the game.

Different isn't necessarily bad, but this new campaign feels like it's unnecessarily restrictive and generally not very Warhammer-y. I'll probably have to wait for Mortal Empires to be ported over before I can start having some real fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: February 21, 2022, 02:49:54 pm »

I think there's a lot more whizz bang stuff going on in the campaign map than TWH2. I think it's just more graphically demanding despite it being smaller.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: February 21, 2022, 03:06:54 pm »

Denuvo... This is a silly game to enforce anti-cheat, should be up to the user (like 7dtd basically), I wager 70% of all people who will play it in multiplayer are going to play it with their friends.
let

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: February 21, 2022, 05:45:15 pm »

I'm betting it's less an anti-cheat measure, and more a hamfisted method of ensuring against piracy (which does little, as I'm sure pirates have already cracked and removed it by now).

The fact that it was pushed in last minute is pretty telling on how much they knew people would react to it.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: February 21, 2022, 05:53:41 pm »

As for the main campaign, I've found it much slower--not necessarily bad--and a bit annoying. It feels like I'm heavily discouraged from doing the usual Warhammer thing of fighting wars and taking territories, because the more provinces I take the more chaos portals I have to play tag with. The most effective path to winning seems to be making friends with as many neighbors as possible to avoid war, then turtling with a single doomstack and casually waltzing into the chaos realms to claim souls and win the game.
Warhammer 3: Lovehammer

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: February 21, 2022, 05:55:30 pm »

I'd be pretty interested to see what pirating 3 games worth of inter-linked DLCs looks like. Pirate the base game, sure, no sweat. Pirating the complete Total Warhammer experience? Is that even possible?

Warhammer 3: Lovehammer

That over half of fights happen at settlements now seems to be kind of a drag to some people. Sieges and settlement defense in TWH2 are fun about every 10 turns or so. Them happening every turn would start to annoy me. But I'm guessing with the full ME campaign, we're going to see many areas squished tighter together.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: February 21, 2022, 06:02:44 pm »

Playing defender is a blast - attacker not so much, especially when lacking ranged units capable of taking out those towers (even on minor settlements).

The higher than before losses and slower replenishment rate mean that even if you wanted to paint the map it's going to be a much slower process.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: February 21, 2022, 06:16:30 pm »

I have Gamepass, so I have WH3. And boy oh boy, I thought I knew what terrible load times look like. I literally cannot play this off of my EHD, three minutes to load a single settings change is two minutes and fifty-nine seconds too many. And it didn't even manage to load into the battle, I had to just kill the process after about five or ten minutes so that I could get on with my life.

Going to have to make like 140 GB of space on my small internal SSD for this game, but the tiny amount of the prologue I managed to play made me want to play it. Guess I'll have to figure something out. I wonder what I even have still installed on the SSD...
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: February 21, 2022, 06:36:36 pm »

I'd be pretty interested to see what pirating 3 games worth of inter-linked DLCs looks like. Pirate the base game, sure, no sweat. Pirating the complete Total Warhammer experience? Is that even possible?
Dunno why it wouldn't be, yar-haring DLC isn't exactly a new practice even when there's a pile of it. If someone can get the game data and crack/share it, that's all it takes. Most DLC isn't exactly some kind of magic devil trinket, pirating it works just like pirating any other sort of data.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: February 21, 2022, 06:43:59 pm »

I have Gamepass, so I have WH3. And boy oh boy, I thought I knew what terrible load times look like. I literally cannot play this off of my EHD, three minutes to load a single settings change is two minutes and fifty-nine seconds too many. And it didn't even manage to load into the battle, I had to just kill the process after about five or ten minutes so that I could get on with my life.

Going to have to make like 140 GB of space on my small internal SSD for this game, but the tiny amount of the prologue I managed to play made me want to play it. Guess I'll have to figure something out. I wonder what I even have still installed on the SSD...

AAA games are swiftly reaching the point where SSDs are mandatory. Even on an SSD with plenty of memory, a good processor and graphics card, TWH2 campaigns still take about 1 to 2 mins to load.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: February 21, 2022, 06:46:01 pm »

Dunno why it wouldn't be, yar-haring DLC isn't exactly a new practice even when there's a pile of it. If someone can get the game data and crack/share it, that's all it takes. Most DLC isn't exactly some kind of magic devil trinket, pirating it works just like pirating any other sort of data.
More than that, yar-harred Warhammer 2 comes in one big package, all dlcs, Mortal Empires campaign and all. Update time to add new dlcs varies, up to few months. You asked for this.  :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 06:47:52 pm by MCreeper »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: February 21, 2022, 07:37:29 pm »

I guess I gave the system too much credit. It seems so fucking complicated figuring out what you need when you're trying to legitimately purchase it :P

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: February 21, 2022, 08:11:11 pm »

If you tell me now that the yar-har version also has working multiplayer savegames I'll feel kinda stupid. These were an issue with rome2 IIRC.
let

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: February 21, 2022, 09:13:57 pm »

I've been getting really good performance most of the time, better than I did with WH2, though I've started to get some audio issues in battles when played at normal speed which is something I used to get on my potato laptop. Sometimes the in battle voice lines that play at normal speed turn into static mess which is unpleasant to listen to, but that might be down to me not turning my laptop off properly since the game came out.

Been getting a bunch of crashes now that I'm playing the Ogres, always on loading in combat maps, which was a glitch that popped up in previous intallments as I recall. I remember getting it a lot playing as Skarsnik. Didn't have any issues with Undivided, so it might be something to do with the maps in the empire/darklands/mourn region. Abandoned a run as Greasus that was going terribly to try Skrag, and have been having the same issue intermittently despite being a good chunk of the map away.

With a new faction under my belt I can't help but feel Chaos feels rather weak. My ogres are able to steamroll through swathes of the map much faster even with the difficulty bumped up, the core roster of Undivided being fragmented limits early recruitment options a bit too heavily imo. The mono-god factions might have a better time of it because of specific buffs to them, but as Undivided I felt less than impressed at most of the roster, but maybe I was suffering due to low magic reserves. Daemons getting stronger or weaker based on their magic supply is very lore accurate, but kind of a bummer when you're also getting used to the changes to how magic reserves work.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 277