Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83285 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #360 on: December 09, 2015, 11:38:43 pm »

That's why it reminds me of The Golden Compass.  I can't decide if it's good or not.  I think it would've been better if he'd focused on one or two subplots instead of burying you in history.

This gives me a question, what do you guys actually think about the Golden Compass? I personally find it really boring.

The thing I liked most about that series was how they replaced the word "electric" with "ambaric". Its a cute little plausible change that nonetheless makes the world seem a lot different then ours. That's basically it, though.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 09, 2015, 11:43:08 pm »

I've run out of unread books to read (apart from a really rubbish one) so off I go to shop for secondhand books.
I would shop for new ones, too, but it seems the most convenient decent bookstore to me has morphed into a secondhand, charity-supporting bookstore instead. Might as well have a look since I am going past there anyway.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 10, 2015, 09:06:18 am »

I just finished reading Shadows of Self, book 2 of the Wax and Wayne Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

Incredible, just as I expected.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 10, 2015, 02:18:31 pm »

I keep reading my IDW transformer comics over and over again.  I think I might have a problem. 

Or maybe the comics being too much fun is the problem.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 10, 2015, 04:52:40 pm »

I just finished reading Shadows of Self, book 2 of the Wax and Wayne Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

Incredible, just as I expected.

Statements like this are the only things that make me reconsider my dependence on the library for reading material.

You'd think it would possible for them to order a book before its been out for six months.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:54:54 pm by Whisperling »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 11, 2015, 01:13:44 am »

I just picked up this one called the Monstrumologist. Or rather re-picked it up, since I started reading it a few months back, forgot to keep reading it because busy times, and am now picking it up again.

It's actually really good!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 11, 2015, 07:37:20 am »

I just got a massive H. P Lovecraft pdf and am currently reading Shadow Over Innsmouth and finding it really quite good. I'm also reading the complete Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and also finding it pretty bloody good.
Pro tip: dagonbytes.com hosts all (AFAIK) Lovecraft stories for free if you want to read it online/as a saved page. White text on black background, nice for reading in the dark.

Speaking of, I can't recommend Charles Stross's Laundry Series books enough. It's a delicious blend of Lovecraft, Bastard Operator From Hell, grittier spy fiction and British humor.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 11, 2015, 04:10:10 pm »

That's why it reminds me of The Golden Compass.  I can't decide if it's good or not.  I think it would've been better if he'd focused on one or two subplots instead of burying you in history.

This gives me a question, what do you guys actually think about the Golden Compass? I personally find it really boring.

The thing I liked most about that series was how they replaced the word "electric" with "ambaric". Its a cute little plausible change that nonetheless makes the world seem a lot different then ours. That's basically it, though.

I read the first two books as a kid and liked them, but I was a Jesus person back then and when I realized what they were getting at I didn't want to read anymore.  never got around to reading the third.

Along the same lines though, I always find it really jarring when people in fantasy novels use real-world expressions that wouldn't exist in their world.  The Black Company refers to "prodigal sons" several times and it's always like nails on a chalkboard. 
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 11, 2015, 09:53:59 pm »

I'm reading The Listeners by Monica Dickens. It's interesting so far... one character in particular is very relatable.

I bought it, The Canterbury Tales and a collection of Rimbaud's poetry (with translations) from a secondhand store the other day, not a bad haul.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #369 on: December 26, 2015, 01:09:17 am »

Netted The Three-Body Problem, The Once and Future King, and the latest Rick Riordan for Christmas.

Really enjoying The Three-Body Problem. The translation is excellent. Looking forward to The Once and Future King, I've been wanting to re-read it for years. Close to a decade, maybe. I'll probably save the Rick Riordan for when I just want to read about good guys beating up baddies. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 26, 2015, 04:34:13 pm »

Goethe's Faust, at the recommendation of a close friend. I'm only in a couple pages - Mephistopheles is about to appear - and already there's so many quotable bits!

Quote from: Faust
Das Pergament, ist das der heil'ge Bronnen,
Woraus ein Trunk den Durst auf ewig stillt?
Erquickung hast du nicht gewonnen,
Wenn sie dir nicht aus eigner Seele quillt.

Quote from: Rough translation
Parchment, is that the sacred fountain
A drink of which forever quells your thirst?
You have not obtained relief
Unless it springs forth from your own soul.

Quote from: God
Ein guter Mensch, in seinem dunklen Drange,
Ist sich des rechten Weges wohl bewußt.

Quote from: Rough translation
A good man, in his dark urges,
Is well aware of the right way.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 26, 2015, 04:38:57 pm »

I got around to picking up Terry Pratchett's last novel, Raising Steam. It seems fairly good so far, being basically a Discworld novel.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #372 on: December 26, 2015, 04:42:03 pm »

Half-tempted to sig that second quote.

I finished The Three-Body Problem. Very, very good. I don't know exactly what to pin it on, since there were chunks I didn't enjoy reading that much, but the cohesive whole is excellent.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 26, 2015, 04:44:39 pm »

Oh, I plan on using it quite often. It's a fairly good definition of 'good person'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #374 on: December 26, 2015, 04:52:07 pm »

Decided to go ahead and do it. My last one wasn't in English either, and it was a bit 2edgy.

So thanks for giving me a new sigquote!

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 58