Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83255 times)

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #585 on: February 28, 2017, 09:11:17 am »

I got...I think almost exactly halfway through Seveneves before I got too frustrated by the antagonists (and peoples' reactions to the antagonists) to keep going. His books usually do that for me -- they'll manage some really interesting ideas, strung together with distracting obsessions with some random detail (captain crunch, great circle flight paths, how often the characters need to pee...), and occasionally getting something just plain wrong. (See: people who don't play video games trying to design very complicated, simulationist MMOs.)

I really should give Seveneves another try because everyone seems to love it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 28, 2017, 11:36:24 am »

I'm still reading Harry Potter.  Its crazy!  :o  Cray cray random spoilers below.

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 28, 2017, 11:37:51 am »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 28, 2017, 11:39:47 am »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:28 am »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 28, 2017, 11:41:50 am »

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 02, 2017, 10:25:12 pm »

Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities! I love it so much. It's surreal and melancholy - a combination I've been looking for for so long. The way the chapters are written, the way the cities are described, and even the context of the story feels so unique and interesting.

You can read it here.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #592 on: March 27, 2017, 08:40:49 pm »

somehow failes to notice this

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 27, 2017, 08:51:24 pm »

somehow failes to notice this
(In response to your "I'm reading Small Gods", that you have now blanked on the other thread...)

A good standalone, in the series, that one, IMO.  (Noting that there's callbacks to the book in the later Carpe Jugulum, but it's not a major link.)

I can, and may yet, gush all rhapsodical about Discworld, in general, but that'd be boring for others.  Willing to discuss (spoilered?) specifics, though, if you wish.

Currently, I've got The Long War (#2 in the Baxter/Pratchett Long Earth series) in mid-read as my "bathroom book", I'm going through the Ryanverse books (Tom Clancy) in non-chronological order, Uplift (David Brin) started and Anciliary Sword (#2 in the Ancilliary trilogy by Ann Leckie) almost ready to start in a different "book queue", as notable (or at least currently memorable) other examples of current/imminent reading.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 27, 2017, 09:26:17 pm »

Speaking of Sir Terry, I've been reading Good Omens for practically forever. Great fun... though I find myself almost studying it rather than reading it. Very well written indeed.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 28, 2017, 12:10:36 am »

Fallen in love with the "Worm" web serial.  Best superhero fiction I've seen yet.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #596 on: March 28, 2017, 01:12:39 am »

Worm is very good.

I'm re-reading the Stormlight Archives. One of these days, Sanderson will publish book three.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 28, 2017, 12:12:21 pm »

I've started reading The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham, and A Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. I'm quite liking both.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 20, 2017, 12:12:32 pm »

I've been on a bit of a Buddhist bent lately. I read "An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life" by the Dalai Lama  and "Siddartha" by Herman Hesse. I don't feel I fully grasped what the Dalai Lama had to say in his book. About Siddartha, I feel that the author kind of fictioned up a character that one-ups the genuine Buddha, but I was still so impressed and entertained by the book that I looked up his other works, and now I'm reading "Steppenwolf" by the same guy.

Steppenwolf very accurately describes how I genuinely feel in day to day life. So often I feel like an alien hiding among normal humans, and it feels so wonderful to finally find someone who 'speaks the same language as I do', so to speak. So yeah, I'm quite engrossed in it and will probably be finishing it up pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:14:09 pm by JoshuaFH »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 20, 2017, 02:18:31 pm »

"Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the American Right", Thomas Frank

Bit dated now, but interesting exploration of Tea Party/Free Market focus in US right-wing ideology that came up briefly in response to the financial crisis. Slightly helpful in understanding how right-wing ideology works, but ultimately not as good as a book about Trump and his backers. Not really the author's fault, very much a book of its time.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 58