I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580344 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1380 on: March 25, 2015, 04:21:25 pm »

Also, considering a lot of (heavy, fanatic, right-wing) religious people say "I love you, that's why I'm trying to get you (LGBT, black people, immigrants, etc) classed as a lesser person!" I'd say religions definition of love in general is pretty warped.
Yes. We are not perfect. Not by a long shot. Every Christian, me included, have looked down on others. But God always forgives everybody, the only difference between a believer and a non-believer is if they accept the forgiveness.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: March 25, 2015, 05:40:50 pm »

Aye, that whole "No matter what I do, I'm forgiven by the one who *really* matters!" kind of also warps perspectives and priorities. Automatically cleans your conscience without actually needing to make amends to the harmed party!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1382 on: March 26, 2015, 05:02:22 am »

It's just as well, then, that regret is an important part of forgiveness.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: March 26, 2015, 05:20:28 am »

Also, considering a lot of (heavy, fanatic, right-wing) religious people say "I love you, that's why I'm trying to get you (LGBT, black people, immigrants, etc) classed as a lesser person!" I'd say religions definition of love in general is pretty warped.

Yes, many depictions of the love of God come off as a combonation of the love of a deranged stalker and the love of a highly overbearing, manipulative, and judgemental parent
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: March 26, 2015, 09:21:48 am »

Aye, that whole "No matter what I do, I'm forgiven by the one who *really* matters!" kind of also warps perspectives and priorities. Automatically cleans your conscience without actually needing to make amends to the harmed party!
C'mon, one could easily take similar cheap shots against atheism. I won't, but one could.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: March 26, 2015, 10:10:54 am »

* Descan shrug.

That's just something that always skeeved me a little. Just feels like a cop-out, even if one doesn't use it that way. The whole "Hitler is in Heaven as long as he repented, while Ghandi is burning in hell." (Though at least I'm unique and snowflakey enough that I don't want either in Hell, no one deserves that. Even Hitler would burn through 10 million life-times worth of pain and torture, and then it's just cruelty. Hell isn't a punishment, it's just torture, because at least with punishment there's the potential for reform and "Don't do that again!" Hell is eternal, though.)
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: March 26, 2015, 10:17:56 am »

This is the purpose of a penance. You can't be forgiven for something you aren't sorry for after all.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1387 on: March 26, 2015, 10:22:32 am »

No, religious people's view is. You said it yourself, but then extrapolated that to all of religion.

I'm actually pretty sure it's impossible to Biblically justify oppression or insults.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: March 26, 2015, 10:23:25 am »

Not nearly all Christian denominations follow doctrines like that, Descan.  I'm fairly certain that the Catholic Church's position is at least ambiguous:
Quote from: Pope John Paul II
The just of the Earth, even those who do not know Christ and his Church, but who under the influence of grace seek God in a sincere heart, are called to build the Kingdom of God, collaborating with the Lord, who is its first and supreme architect.
And any good Christian would not want Hitler to go to hell. Wishing eternal torment on someone - on anyone - is a very un-Christian sentiment.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: March 26, 2015, 10:39:20 am »

That was a typo, I did mean religious instead of religion.

And I'm not saying Christians want that. If anything, I'm saying God's kind of a jerk for doing it/letting it happen.

As for penance, that may not be how it's supposed to work, but it's completely possible for someone to work under the impression it does. They won't find out for sure until the end, after all.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1390 on: March 26, 2015, 12:17:57 pm »

The big problem, in my mind, is with faith, which in my experience is basically just a excuse to believe whatever you want. Now sometimes this is used to support nice things - Charity, Generosity, Humility, etc, but more often in my experiance is used to support some rather nasty behaviours - Hatred, Superiority, Hierarchy, Cruelty, etc.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: March 26, 2015, 01:17:14 pm »

* Descan shrug.

That's just something that always skeeved me a little. Just feels like a cop-out, even if one doesn't use it that way. The whole "Hitler is in Heaven as long as he repented, while Ghandi is burning in hell."

Wait, what?  That line of reasoning is a new one to me.

I think LDS theology is pretty unique among Christian beliefs though.  It's much more about people being able to choose who they want to be.

We believe that after this life, everyone gets a chance to be taught the Gospel by believers and angels and repent.   After that comes Judgement Day, when people are sorted into 3 degrees of glory. Basically people who want to be like God, people who were good but don't want to be like God ('honorable but blinded by the craftiness of men', etc), and people who were not good.  Every one of those groups gets some amount of glory, just less or more depending on which group. 

Outer darkness/hell is reserved for the devil and people who deliberately and knowingly choose to follow him, which is very difficult to qualify for (ex, assassinating someone for personal gain while holding the Priesthood).  Eternal torment is the torment of seeing everyone else have glory while you don't, knowing that you messed up, being unrelentingly awful and having to live with unrelentingly awful people. It's endless not as a deliberate punishment so much as natural consequence of choosing to be vile and then being stuck that way.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/76
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:43:53 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: March 26, 2015, 01:38:54 pm »

That was a typo, I did mean religious instead of religion.

And I'm not saying Christians want that. If anything, I'm saying God's kind of a jerk for doing it/letting it happen.

As for penance, that may not be how it's supposed to work, but it's completely possible for someone to work under the impression it does. They won't find out for sure until the end, after all.

I guess I can kind of see that reasoning, but it relies on an axiom that isn't doctrine (i.e. God should micromanage everything to make it comfortable/happy/the way I want it). The Bible is pretty clear that God's goal is not to make things the way we think they should be.

LDS theology is that the purpose of this life is for people to learn, grow, and make choices...which includes the possibility of making the wrong choice. God mindcontrolling everyone would utterly thwart the purpose of life, because people don't learn and grow when they're forced into one single choice (in fact, trying to remove free will was one of Satan's big sins, along with trying to usurp God's authority and leading a rebellion).

As for people not understanding the point of repentance, well, there's always some people who only hear what they want to hear.  LDS doctrine has a clear repentance process (have faith, acknowledge and be sorry for sin, stop doing it, confess to God and those harmed, make restitution) instead of penance, but even after hearing it repeatedly people have trouble with it.  Actually changing is hard and some people have a very hard time with it. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:52:21 pm by Ghills »
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: March 26, 2015, 01:50:25 pm »

The big problem, in my mind, is with faith, which in my experience is basically just a excuse to believe whatever you want. Now sometimes this is used to support nice things - Charity, Generosity, Humility, etc, but more often in my experiance is used to support some rather nasty behaviours - Hatred, Superiority, Hierarchy, Cruelty, etc.

That's not faith. That's people justifying whatever they want to do because they want to do it - any reason works for that.  All political ideologies have been used that way.  Atheism has been used to justify its own share of incredible atrocities.   

The problem isn't whatever principle people are using to justify their sins. The problem is that people will use anything to justify what they want to do so they don't feel bad about doing things that are wrong.
To summarize:

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: March 26, 2015, 01:52:33 pm »

But good Christians follow, or try to follow, the word of God.  So their actions do reflect on God to some degree.  Of course people make mistakes, but currently Christians as a group are the main source of intolerance.  The Moral Majority movement was inherently Christian.

Now, of course there are millions of Christians who loudly condemn this intolerance - but two things.  One, the Bible really does condemn homosexuality in a few places (not just Leviticus).  Two...  While yes, God can't be expected to fix every little thing, this isn't little.  This is millions of people uniting, *in his name, and their shared faith*, to promote intolerance.  If these people have accepted his guiding influence into their lives, how could let such powerful movements form?

Either he's okay with it, or he's not actually guiding them.  Maybe because they're of the wrong denomination, I guess.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 521