I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582555 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1560 on: April 05, 2015, 04:09:41 pm »

Why is there an end times? God wanted us do we could amuse him, or something. Why throw his tous out of the pram (figuatively speaking)?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1561 on: April 05, 2015, 04:31:21 pm »

The second coming is described as involving many choruses of angels and stars falling from the sky, earthquakes, everyone metaphorically crapping themselves in terror. And so on. It should be pretty noticeable.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: April 05, 2015, 04:40:53 pm »

... wouldn't a firebombing campaign have looked a lot like that, to the original writers?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1563 on: April 05, 2015, 04:46:28 pm »

Probably. Although trumpets and harps aren't exactly easy to play when you're getting firebombed.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: April 05, 2015, 04:50:38 pm »

The whine of rockets could count as heavebly sound.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: April 05, 2015, 05:07:38 pm »

Why is there an end times? God wanted us do we could amuse him, or something. Why throw his tous out of the pram (figuatively speaking)?
I have not seen anywhere in the bible God mentions creating us to amuse him. Could you find that for me?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: April 05, 2015, 05:35:08 pm »

Oh yeah, Happy Zombie Jesus Day!

To the religious folks around here: How was your Easter Mass? And what Easter Hymns do you like?

I'm very fond of Großer Gott, Wir Loben Dich (Great God, We Praise You). It's practically the anthem of the region my family comes from. My mom told me a story about it while we had our mock-Easter Bonfire (a tradition in that region, though sadly not here):
There's a lot of peat bogs in that area. One day, a somewhat demented family member (a grandma, I think) of a farmer in that village (a neighbor of my mom's cousin, I think) went out to pick blueberries there. Needless to say, she got lost, which is a pretty big deal in a fucking bog. So they called together the men of the village, who went out to search her - and luckily she was found. Of course, the men should have a reward: They got Freibier for the rest of the evening. But before they started, that farmer made a little speech: That he wanted to thank them, and that they all should thank God. So they all sung that song I mentioned, because everyone knew it by heart (and it really is a good song for that occasion). They sung three verses, and they sung loudly. And apparently a tourist walked by and was very confused to hear a bunch of men in the village pub enthusiastically singing a church hymn...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: April 05, 2015, 05:52:57 pm »

I have not seen anywhere in the bible God mentions creating us to amuse him. Could you find that for me?
It's probably not in the bible, but as we know, the ancient Greeks believed that their gods loved screwing people over just for the lulz. It makes a whole lot of sense, you know – the problem of evil was not an issue in those happy days.

@Helgo
That's a nice hymn. Here's a link. I haven't listened to the St Matthew Passion this Easter... should probably do it tomorrow. 

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1568 on: April 05, 2015, 05:59:22 pm »

Yeah, Saint Matthew Passion is pretty darn cool.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: April 05, 2015, 06:46:57 pm »

No. I only have a cadet issued bible, and my phone atm. No doubt later I could make a stab at finding something. Time will tell.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: April 05, 2015, 06:56:37 pm »

That's a nice hymn. Here's a link.
And now imagine it sung like the finale of Beethoven's 9th :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: April 05, 2015, 07:14:19 pm »

Oh yeah, Happy Zombie Jesus Day!

To the religious folks around here: How was your Easter Mass? And what Easter Hymns do you like?

I am a protestant, so our Easter celebration is a little bit... different. We sang Forever, Risen, Alive among others. During the songs, there was party confetti, balloons, and other party items. It was an incredibly fun service.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: April 05, 2015, 07:17:01 pm »

I guess I'll never understand why someone would want their church's hymns to sound like mediocre dance music...
The Bay12 postcard club

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: April 05, 2015, 07:19:08 pm »

I guess I'll never understand why someone would want their church's hymns to sound like mediocre dance music...
People were dancing, and jumping, and singing. We were having a party!! (JESUS IS ALIVE!!!!!!)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1574 on: April 05, 2015, 07:22:18 pm »

I didn't actually go to my church's Easter service. Although I can say with absolute certainty it would have had more in common with Helgo's than that.
Songs, sure. But 18th-century hymns, not dancing and confetti.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 521