I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582490 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1830 on: April 19, 2015, 07:14:47 pm »

Sorry I meant it being used to bring people to a specific city with the intent of attracting tourists/more revenue for the city the pilgrimage is called to.
IIRC the reason for that pillar of Islam was because there were idols in the city and since Islam is against idols they needed some sort of compromise so people would still go to the city while still getting rid of the idols. Or something like that
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: April 19, 2015, 07:16:19 pm »

Dude should declare a year of interpretive dance, such that all catholic politicians and religious figures can only communicate publicly through phat moves. That would be a good year.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: April 19, 2015, 07:19:13 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:27:11 am by penguinofhonor »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: April 19, 2015, 07:36:09 pm »

Dude should declare a year of interpretive dance, such that all catholic politicians and religious figures can only communicate publicly through phat moves. That would be a good year.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: April 19, 2015, 07:43:32 pm »

That's exactly what led to the thought, yes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: April 19, 2015, 07:58:22 pm »

Obligatory.
What did I just watch

It looks like a bad acid trip.

(I've also looked up a plot synopsis of the movie that this was from, and from the description it gives of the plot I get the impression that the film's writer may have indeed been on acid)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: April 20, 2015, 12:27:06 am »

One day Superman will descend from the skies and we will all join him in the sun, and a new age of superheroes will dawn.
This is what I believe.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: April 20, 2015, 12:44:24 am »

One day Superman will descend from the skies and we will all join him in the sun, and a new age of superheroes will dawn.
This is what I believe.
Just make sure you're not dizzy when that happens.  :P
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: April 20, 2015, 09:36:20 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSHaVH9HhfI , these russian moves must be saying a lot then.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: April 20, 2015, 11:03:42 am »

Would that be equivilent to the Islamic requirment for a pilgrimage to Meca?
Not at all - those pilgrimages are one of the five pillars of Islam, while the Holy Year is mostly fluff, to be honest.
And a convenient tourism boost, let's not forget.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: April 20, 2015, 01:38:52 pm »

Question for a catholic, what is the details about this event? I have not heard of it before.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: April 21, 2015, 05:48:07 pm »

I was listening to a bible study on Youtube and learned something new again!  Related to the binding of Isaac discussion earlier, which this quote links back to conveniently.
To be fair, they kind of did blood rituals anyway.

((although I totally agree that the whole story is kinda scary))
It's worse than that!  Isaac wasn't the only human sacrifice God demanded, just the only one who was spared apparently.

Once again I'll be investigating a list compiled by skeptics, but I don't have time to go into as much detail as they did.  Though as usual, they include questionable edge cases for completeness sake:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/human_sacrifice.html

Numbers 31:25-40 http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/num/31.html#25
Quote from: Numbers
31:25 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,   
31:26 Take the sum of the prey that was taken, both of man and of beast, thou, and Eleazar the priest, and the chief fathers of the congregation:
31:29 Take it of their half, and give it unto Eleazar the priest, for an heave offering of the LORD.
31:34 And threescore and one thousand asses,   
31:35 And thirty and two thousand persons in all, of women that had not known man by lying with him.
31:40 And the persons were sixteen thousand; of which the LORD's tribute was thirty and two persons.
31:41 And Moses gave the tribute, which was the LORD's heave offering, unto Eleazar the priest, as the LORD commanded Moses.
Of note is that, as flipping usual, women are counted alongside cattle.  Though that's hardly the worst part of what's happening here.  God is explicitly commanding the Israelites to sacrifice human virgins to him, and there's no mention of this being out of the ordinary.  It is simply done, alongside all the animal sacrifice.  It really reads like captured women, like all the other property they get in all the many wars they wage, are perfectly normal sacrifices.

I don't know what to think of this one:
Quote from: Exodus 22
22:29 Thou shalt not delay to offer the first of thy ripe fruits, and of thy liquors: the firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me.
22:30 Likewise shalt thou do with thine oxen, and with thy sheep: seven days it shall be with his dam; on the eighth day thou shalt give it me.
I have trouble believing this means what it looks like it means.  Even the livestock sacrifice seems like a ridiculously high tithe.  I'm going to assume that it's being metaphorical regarding the Israelite sons.  But it seems fairly explicit, weirdly.

Finally, here's one that's similar to Isaac's sacrifice except infinitely worse:  Judges 11:29-40 (http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/jg/11.html#29)
Too much to quote, so: God approaches Jephthah, who wants to conquer the Ammonites.  In exchange for God's help, he promises to sacrifice the first thing that exits his doorway to greet him when he returns home (what the hell??).  God finds this acceptable and helps Jephthah slaughter the Ammonites.  20 conquered cities later, the people of Ammon were subdued to Israel, so Jephthah goes home.
OH NO his daughter (and only child) rushes out to greet him!
11:35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.
"Dammit girl this is all your fault"
"Oh, well, I guess you promised.  But please let me... uh... go hang out in the mountains with my friends for a couple months.  I promise I'll come back, I just need to bewail my virginity."
"Okay sounds reasonable"
*2 months later*
"Woah what, you actually came back?  Uh okay... let's do this then."
"Alright.  By the way, about my virginity - URK BLEH I AM DEAD"
"My daughter was definitely still a virgin if anybody asks!"
But yeah.  Two months his daughter cries in the mountains, and God doesn't raise a single objection.  Human sacrifice in exchange for victory in an offensive war: Bible approved.

Then of course there's Jesus himself, but we're all familiar with that sacrifice.  It's obviously a special case, and removes the need for any further blood sacrifice.  God is finally appeased permanently.

God does forbid human sacrifice a few times... but only to other Gods.  In conclusion, the Bible supports blood sacrifice of humans and animals to appease God, and it is arguably the central theme of both testaments.  In different ways.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: April 21, 2015, 06:30:54 pm »

@Rolan7

Funny that with God being omniscient It knew exactly what that man's sacrifice would be... It knew it would be the daughter.

I still think the view of 'God' as being representative of the collective human consciousness (in this case, the barbarism of the olden times) is the most interesting interpretation.

Still though, taken literally it's internally consistent. In a universe where God as seemingly described exist there is literally nothing other than God that matters. If God thinks blood sacrifice is A-OK, then blood sacrifice is A-OK.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: April 21, 2015, 06:40:44 pm »

Doesn't take a god to see that promise and know that it's going to be a family member, heh.  Just a basic familiarity with mythological tropes.

It's consistent on the issue of blood sacrifice, yeah, but I think this sort of behavior does show inconsistency when compared to the New Testament.  Since a lot of the NT claims that God is merciful, and loves us all, and isn't willing that any of us perish.  Even if we accept that human sacrifice is "good", since God demands it, it still doesn't match the qualities he's given in the New Testament.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: April 21, 2015, 07:03:50 pm »

Of course, but we're talking about this event as something that actually happened at the time.

It just wants us to be sacrificed so we die and got to heaven and are closer to It. It's misunderstood and just wants to be loved, man... Or, something, I dunno.

Doesn't really matter, God can be as whimsical and as inconsistent as It wants and still be always right, always. (Because 'Utterly Perfect' and stuff. Of course, it's an Informed Attribute that conveniently let people hand wave any issues, but... *shrug*
Maybe, at the time, human sacrifices were needed for... Whatever reason, strengthening the gene pool or something. Of course, being Omniscient and Omnipotent there is never and argument as to why God doesn't just make everything awesome and happy forever if It actually cares for Humanity at all. (Of course, one can argue that something such as that is not really 'living', but... Well, Omnipotent, remember? God can make it 'really living'.)
There's a logical to conclusion to this, though. I wonder if others will reach it.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 521