I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582337 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #2160 on: June 10, 2015, 11:32:39 am »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:14:06 am by penguinofhonor »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2161 on: June 10, 2015, 11:34:31 am »

Transhumanism isn't really a cohesive ideology. It's more a vague class of ideologies, with relatively little in common. I, for example, have little interest in mind uploading. I'd be quite happy to keep my body, I just want to improve it.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: June 10, 2015, 11:36:58 am »

The entire concept of transhumanism is fascinating to me, anyhow. Mainly because reverse-fear-of-the-unknown.
thincake

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 10, 2015, 11:46:05 am »

In related news, transhumanists are becoming increasingly upfront about the religious nature of their ideology:

Humanity+ and the Upcoming Battle between Good and Evil
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why Christians Should Embrace Transhumanism
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They've somehow managed to reconcile Nietzsche with Christianity by turning both of them on their heads and wrapping them in waterproof fustian. Pretty impressive. :o

Let me make a Singularitarian prediction: Within the next 25 years, Transhumanism will surpass Buddhism as the 4th-largest World religion. It is inevitable.

That is some sci-fi stuff, man. Seeing that, I feel like typical post-religion futuristic settings are unrealistic. We need more tech cults.

Well I've taken to worshipping the Hydrogen Bomb like in Planet of the Apes

EDIT:
Also the internet
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:52:01 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 10, 2015, 11:47:21 am »

The entire concept of transhumanism is fascinating to me, anyhow. Mainly because reverse-fear-of-the-unknown.
Their fear of death is pretty traditional, though. Nothing particularly "reverse" about that.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 10, 2015, 11:52:32 am »

Timor mortis conturbat me
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 10, 2015, 11:56:05 am »

I don't often call myself a transhumanist because when people HAVE heard of it, t'is shit like this they've heard of. It's like when people hear that someone is Mormon and all they jump to is "Magic underwear! Joseph Smith and his magical only-he-can-read-them Golden Plates! Everyone becomes a god in heaven! Polygamy! Post-mortem Baptism of Holocaust victims! Jesus and Satan were brothers!"

:v It's not fun to be lumped in with all the baggage associated with the transhumanism word when all I care about is people not dying. The upgrades would be nice too.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: June 10, 2015, 12:02:49 pm »

Timor mortis conturbat me

To beasts of chase the lie is proffered

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2168 on: June 10, 2015, 12:03:33 pm »

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:05:13 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 10, 2015, 12:30:03 pm »

All I got out of that was that Boh wants Tim to counterbate Boh's mortis, whatever that means. I'm not sure I want to know, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: June 10, 2015, 12:36:34 pm »

Bohandas, RE: "Supernatural"

I dont ascribe to the idea that supernatural things CANNOT exist-- That means I have knowledge of them- specifically, knowledge that they do not exist.

Rather, I say that if they do exist, we cannot know about them, because they exist outside the physical reality in which we find ourselves.  Take for instance, the hypothetical situation where true AI is created, but is nurtured in a purely computer simulated environment. That AI has no physical sensors, manipulators, or other means of sensing or knowing anything at all about OUR physical reality. To it, our physical reality is "Supernatural".  To us, it's virtual reality is an extension of our own physical reality, in that its foundation is tied to the physical laws of our reality.

Try as the AI might, short of gaining access to a physical world avatar of some kind (even if it is just some real-world sensors feeding it data) it will never properly grasp our reality's nature. It has no way to verify if what we tell it through the virtual world it finds itself in is actually true or not.

Now extend this further-- What if the AI is being grown in a fully blind experiment manner-  The researchers ARE indeed there, watching everything that happens in the "Self-consistent" virtual world, but they dont directly act on the AI or the AI's environment in any measurable way. The AI might come to think that there are "gods" "outside", but it cant prove it-- there is no evidence. Other AIs in the system may assert that the very notion of the existence of these 'gods' is nonsense.  But the researchers are still quite real; the nature of their existence is radically different from that of the AIs.

Likewise, there could well be "gods" outside of our universe, watching us. The one thing we have, is the lack of evidence that they are manipulating things here in our universe--- so they seem to be at most passive observers.  So- while such beings MIGHT exist, they dont seem willing or able to do anything TO us, or FOR us-- so worshiping them is just wasted energy. We might try to conjecture about their natures, but without data to guide those conjectures, we might as well be conjecturing about invisible pink unicorns-- Wild speculation is all you will get from that exercise, and those speculations are wholly untestable-- no knowledge is obtained, only opinions.

This leads me to my thesis:

The supernatural MAY be real; We have no way of determining this.
Since we have no way of determining this, it makes no sense to conjecture about this "maybe real" thing, since we can never interact with it.
Since we have no way of determining this, we can never verify any claims made about it.

Basically, religion is "Not even wrong".  Conversely, so is hard atheism, because it presupposes having knowledge to state "there are no gods" as being an empirical fact; On what empirical basis is this 'fact' founded? So far, I have never encountered a direct proof of this, only elaborate inferences that ultimately boil down to a logical fallacy. At best, it is a belief based on the idea that "because this is probably true, it is."  Nevermind that the universe we live in does not work that way. You can have 99% certainty that you will measure an electron in your trap, but 1% of the time, it is spontaneously outside it. Our universe does not deal in absolutes of this kind. --And that is with things we CAN observe and test.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:43:02 pm by wierd »

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 10, 2015, 01:11:29 pm »

All I got out of that was that Boh wants Tim to counterbate Boh's mortis, whatever that means. I'm not sure I want to know, really.

If I'm not mistaken, its pulled from "The Once and Future King". It means something like "Fear of death doesn't bother me", the context I believe, was when Wart (little King Arthur) is transformed into a bird of prey, and speaks with the other birds of prey in the aviary.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 10, 2015, 01:17:47 pm »

Quick question:

I'm curious to know how many of you are Deontologists.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 10, 2015, 01:27:50 pm »

Deontology (or Deontological Ethics) is an approach to Ethics that focuses on the rightness or wrongness of actions themselves, as opposed to the rightness or wrongness of the consequences of those actions (Consequentialism) or to the character and habits of the actor (Virtue Ethics).

I am not a deontologist. I am a utilitarian, that focuses on the consequences of actions. I do not personally ascribe to genuinely immutable concepts of good and evil. Rather, I perceive a sliding a scale of social acceptance vs consequence. EG- "Murder is unacceptable, but killing in self defense, and killing in war are acceptable, within tolerances."

I am NOT an "end justifies the means" kind of person, as that road leads to madness, and gross excess of wasteful actions to secure marginally better outcomes.  The consequences of the actions undertaken must include the costs of the actions, and potential lost as a result of those actions.  This means that genocide is something I find very, very, very, very far at the bottom of that sliding scale.

This mode of thinking makes some people think I am "Fast and loose" with my ethics, but this is untrue. While I might feel no problems whatsoever with pulling a pirate copy of software, I have DEEP reservations about going into somebody's house and taking their things-- no matter how hard the BSA, the RIAA, and the MPAA try to conflate those two things-- for example. 

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 10, 2015, 01:30:18 pm »

So...less Bentham utilitarianism, more Mill utilitarianism?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 521